OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 03:38:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should moderator positions have term limits or be put to vote?
No, they're volunteers.
Maybe, if they're not doing their job.
Yes, they should.

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moderators and Term Limits  (Read 648 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: February 20, 2011, 04:01:36 PM »

OK, so I realize that our moderators are strictly on a volunteer basis and receive no financial benefits for this often thankless job.  Having said that, based on this discussion, I believe that term limits might need to be an option as there are moderators who, if they're supposed to be logging in once a day but are not, not keeping up their responsibilities.  This presents two problems; One, it's a very ineffective way to run a forum.  A person who volunteers to become a moderator and monitor discussions cannot effectively do so by staying away from their responsibilities.  Two, it seems as though the burden of monitoring will fall on a few, making effective monitoring difficult.

One way that might solve this issue is to either have term limits where when your term is up, you're replaced.  Or, moderators could have quarterly evaluations and then be replaced if their approval ratings are lacking.

To be fair, one obstacle I see to implementing these strategies will be lack of volunteers to replace outgoing moderators.  Though this might be accurate, I think there are more effective models for running a forum out there.  I don't want to violate forum policy, but there are at least two other Orthodox forums that I'm thinking of.

What say you? 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 05:02:23 PM »

If it is obvious that a moderator is not doing their job, then, yes they should have some limit on their term, or be voted out somehow.
I hope I don't receive a warning for saying so! Smiley
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 05:09:13 PM »

If the problem is that the moderator has not logged in for some time, I don't see how term limits would help that.  What if he or she ceases to post during his term? Wouldn't be any different than the current situation.

At least one of our moderators is on active duty in Iraq and was given a leave of absence, and his duties were assumed by another moderator.  We didn't really think it was a good idea to replace someone who is serving his country.  In other cases, we may be aware of the situation, and already looking for a replacement.  Lack of volunteers is the main issue here.

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 06:49:54 PM »

Bless, Father!

If the problem is that the moderator has not logged in for some time, I don't see how term limits would help that.  What if he or she ceases to post during his term? Wouldn't be any different than the current situation.
This is why I gave an alternate option other than term limits such as voting them out.  Wink

At least one of our moderators is on active duty in Iraq and was given a leave of absence, and his duties were assumed by another moderator.  We didn't really think it was a good idea to replace someone who is serving his country.
I'm aware of this person and was not referring to him.

Lack of volunteers is the main issue here.
As I wrote earlier, I anticipated this was an obstacle.  Perhaps people aren't aware there's a need?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 07:00:34 PM »

This is why I gave an alternate option other than term limits such as voting them out.  Wink
Should we do so by writing their name on potsherds (or "ostraka" as we say in Greek)?

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 08:01:49 PM »

Is another moderator in Iraq? I thought that Veniamin has been home for months?

I didn't participate in the poll for a couple reasons;

1) I don't really care
2) I am not an admin on the board and I imagine they know what they are doing

I imagine that Gabriel is referring to a specific mod (I think I know who he means). I don't know what caused this mod to be inactive for the last few months, and it isn't any of my business.

I have an issue with voting mods in/out though, that seems too much like a popularity contest to me. I am fairly sure that they take into account complaints against a mod, and that is all that really matters to me. I wouldn't want to be a mod by being voted in. I would want to be elected because the admin thought I could do a good job.

Besides, the campaigning in a voting process would be just horrible! The debates between candidates could be cool though Grin I would want George to be the referee in any debate though, I like his rules on the contest thread.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 08:14:17 PM by Quinault » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 02:57:53 PM »

If it is obvious that a moderator is not doing their job, then, yes they should have some limit on their term, or be voted out somehow.
I hope I don't receive a warning for saying so! Smiley

No, you won't receive a warning.  When moderators don't do their jobs, then its up to their supervisors in the administration to take action, which has happened on a number of occasions in the past.  If you feel that a particular area is being neglected, my suggestion is as follows:

- PM the moderator in charge of that section.  Be courteous and direct; the biblical model of conflict resolution involves direct contact.
- If that doesn't work, then PM their supervisor (the GMs supervise the mods, and the Admin of the Forum - Fr. Chris - supervises the GMs).
- PMing Fr. Anastasios is theoretically the last option, as he is the founder and owner of the forum; but he has stated in numerous places that he prefers all forum-related matters to go through Fr. Chris, so make sure your "beef" is of significant importance before contacting him.

We usually are good at following up with moderators who have not checked in for awhile; however, it's not a perfect system, which is why there is always the feedback loop with the members of the forum.  PM us your concerns, or use the "Report to moderator" link that is present in every post to contact us.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 03:45:48 PM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: