OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 01:11:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should we change the name of this forum to fightingwithTrolls.net?
Yes, trolls are the only ones posting here anymore!
No.
No, because I have another name to suggest.
I think this question is rudely stated.

Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we change the name of this forum?  (Read 2806 times) Average Rating: 0
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2011, 03:05:11 PM »

I've read the second book you mention and part of the last book in that series. Distinctly so-so I'd say. They have moments of brilliance but I feel if you start of reading Moorcock you eventually tend to outgrow him, my moment for that came when I read his whole, 'Epic Pooh,' essay about Tolkien. I'd say Lord Dunsany who is sadly not read much any more is a far superior writer from an earlier time.

I am very fond of Lord Dunsany and have from time to time been able to get old copies of some of his lesser known works cheaply via Ebay or used bookshops.  He was, I think, a master of choosing particular though unusual or unexpected words that gave a shade of meaning or a different way of looking or understanding something.  Some of his "short stories" are only a paragraph or two but powerful or beautiful or both.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2011, 03:39:46 PM »

I've read the second book you mention and part of the last book in that series. Distinctly so-so I'd say. They have moments of brilliance but I feel if you start of reading Moorcock you eventually tend to outgrow him, my moment for that came when I read his whole, 'Epic Pooh,' essay about Tolkien. I'd say Lord Dunsany who is sadly not read much any more is a far superior writer from an earlier time.

I am very fond of Lord Dunsany and have from time to time been able to get old copies of some of his lesser known works cheaply via Ebay or used bookshops.  He was, I think, a master of choosing particular though unusual or unexpected words that gave a shade of meaning or a different way of looking or understanding something.  Some of his "short stories" are only a paragraph or two but powerful or beautiful or both.

Ebor

I think Lord Dunsany displayed a simple love of language, the understanding that writing should be beautiful and not just exist to convey a sequence of ideas, something I think is lacking in many modern fantasy writers.

I also think that, before even Dunsany, everyone should read Paradise LostSmiley

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Jharek Carnelian

Faith: Less than perfect Catholic. Married to member of ROC

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2011, 05:35:49 PM »

Quite a bit of Lord Dunsany's work can be found at Project  Gutenberg. I know it's not the same as reading it in a real book but if anyone cares to try him it out it's a good source. Trivia point two for the day regarding Lord Dunsany, his brother (from whom he was estranged) was an Admiral in the British Navy.

And then my heart hath told me:
These will pass,
Will pass and change, will die and be no more,
Things bright and green, things young and happy;
And I have gone upon my way
Sorrowful.

'The Wayfarer' Pádraig Anraí Mac Piarais
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: