OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 11:40:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should we change the name of this forum to fightingwithTrolls.net?
Yes, trolls are the only ones posting here anymore!
No.
No, because I have another name to suggest.
I think this question is rudely stated.

Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we change the name of this forum?  (Read 3380 times) Average Rating: 0
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« on: February 20, 2011, 01:19:46 PM »

Since it seems that the only new posting members on this board are trolls, what do you think?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 01:21:28 PM »

I think posters who display no interest in discussing or learning about Orthodox Christianity should simply be banned. Until then, such posters should be ignored. Freedom of discussion, elevated to a dogmatic principle, doesn't benefit anyone.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 01:23:08 PM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 01:23:50 PM »

Wait, you don't love trolls??!!??
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 01:24:41 PM by PoorFoolNicholas » Logged
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 01:44:30 PM »

The Lesser Banishing Ritual of Trolls:

Ignore them.
Create threads both more interesting and of highly quality and quantity than they do.
Ignore them.

A site that begins to be overrun by Trolls and distracted by them says less about the Trolls than the site itself.

Banning them is the late stage of the above, unless they are being simply vulgar.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 01:45:02 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 01:56:49 PM »

The Lesser Banishing Ritual of Trolls:

Costs 2 blue, 1 white, and 1 colorless to cast...

I'm going to need this.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 02:27:33 PM »

Wait, you don't love trolls??!!??

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 02:36:24 PM »

A site that begins to be overrun by Trolls and distracted by them says less about the Trolls than the site itself.
I agree with you 100%. I just see a lot of people asking good questions and being ignored because some would rather argue endlessly with the trolls. Sad really.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 03:40:06 PM »

Another thought FWIW, the word "Troll" get used too loosely, kinda like the word "heretic".

Not to pick on Jackal, seriously, but to make a point it is usually easier to be specific.

Jackal:

I would not consider him a "troll" in the most strict sense of the word as I understand it.

(S)he creates threads which members obviously find germaine to the subject matter this board purports to facilitate conservation about.

You might not like what (s)he writes or the manner, but from the lazy glances at the threads, (s)he puts thought and effort into responding to people and without being terribly vulgar or impolite by internet standards. Jackal's posts are also not completely without merit, at least not to any lesser degree than many of the responses. There is just an incredible disconnect in the discussion, like nearly every "discussion" I've seen on the internet on any subject over the last two decades of my life.

With a grain of salt.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 03:43:06 PM »

I agree with you 100%. I just see a lot of people asking good questions and being ignored because some would rather argue endlessly with the trolls. Sad really.

"Good" questions are usually boring ones, because they are not divisive enough or are just too easily answered to generate much excitement.

That is it not indictment of this board, but my obvious observation of the trend of many, many groups I've seen over the years.

PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 04:39:49 PM »

"Good" questions are usually boring ones, because they are not divisive enough or are just too easily answered to generate much excitement.
That's a very good point. And ties in with what you were saying previously about the site being the issue not necessarily the trolls.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 04:43:15 PM »

Creepy.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 04:53:04 PM »

This happens without fail every Triodion, and is nothing to worry about.
The cover of the Book of the Triodion is somehow tethered to a trapdoor in the Abyss where special Purple Demons are kept whose job it is to sow trouble, misunderstandings, anger etc during the Fast. As soon as we open the Triodion on the Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee, the Purple Demons are released, and, most notably on this forum, trolling increases. "Troll" is a verb, not a noun, and refers to a fishing technique where multiple long fishing lines with multiple hooks are dragged behind a boat to hook as many fish as possible, so of course, with the advent of the Internet, this technique is encouraged by the Purple Demons on Orthodox discussion forums to trap as many of the faithful as possible and destroy as many good fruits of the holy season as possible. The trick is not to take the bait, and to trust in the triumph of the Resurrection. Mark my words, I have watched this forum for six years now, and it happens every year. At the sound of the first Bells announcing the Pascha, the Purple Demons are sent scurrying back to the Abyss to await the next year's Triodion.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 04:53:51 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
soufliotiki

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 04:54:30 PM »

So, what you are saying is that we should not try to "fight" the trolls but look towards Christ. Something Elder Porfyrios advises ... it is easier to look to Christ rather than turn our heads to the trolls and fight with them.

Guide my heart, O Blessed Wisdom, and my tongue will also be guided ...
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 04:58:05 PM »

Mark my words, I have watched this forum for six years now, and it happens every year. At the sound of the first Bells announcing the Pascha, the Purple Demons are sent scurrying back to the Abyss to await the next year's Triodion.
Are you suggesting that there hasn't been a dramatic increase in the amount of trolling being done on this board recently?
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 05:02:37 PM »

Mark my words, I have watched this forum for six years now, and it happens every year. At the sound of the first Bells announcing the Pascha, the Purple Demons are sent scurrying back to the Abyss to await the next year's Triodion.
Are you suggesting that there hasn't been a dramatic increase in the amount of trolling being done on this board recently?
See what I mean about misunderstandings? That is the exact opposite of what I said! Beware the Purple Demons!

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 05:03:59 PM »

I think he is stating (not suggesting) that every year there is an increase in trolling during the Triodion period, and that it always goes away after Pascha.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 05:04:09 PM »

LOL. They inhabit a fond nook of memory of my toddlerhood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_doll

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 05:15:42 PM »

I say ban all the Roman Catholics and Mark them All as Trolls ,deal strickly with Holy Orthodox Issues, I get sick of hearing or reading about the pope that he did this, and that......... Grin police

The Name Is Just Great the Way It Is, But if i had my way,I would Add Holy at the Beginning ......And No I didn't Vote..................
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:29:24 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 05:17:30 PM »

So, what you are saying is that we should not try to "fight" the trolls but look towards Christ. Something Elder Porfyrios advises ... it is easier to look to Christ rather than turn our heads to the trolls and fight with them.
Precisely. However, I would say that it is even harder to look to Christ when we are being "attacked from the right" as the Fathers call it. When the demons "attack from the left", they are tempting us to do something which we know to be evil, whereas, when they "attack from the right", they are setting a trap using something which, on the surface, appears to be "good". In the case of "trolling", we are being tempted to "defend" the Truth. However, the Truth requires no defence, because the Truth is Christ. In reality, all we are doing by responding to trolls is getting more and more enmeshed in a trap meant to distract us from our repentance, almsgiving and prayer. We get angry and feel indignant, but what else is achieved? Nothing. And any good fruit is lost. There is only one weapon which can destroy this evil work, and that is Love. Eldress Gavrielia once said: "Love is a bomb which destroys all evil". If you want to respond to a troll on an Orthodox forum, then respond with Love! As the Eldress said: "Few words, much love. To all. No matter who they are."
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:25:44 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 05:47:11 PM »

I say we Should Follow The Same Example, Catholic Answers Forum Does, to the Orthodox Christian Posters, till we finally get rid of them the Catholic trolls, that is, like they do the Orthodox They Consider Trolls over there.....Eye For A Eye Sounds Great to Me....... Grin
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:47:51 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 05:48:49 PM »

I say ban all the Roman Catholics and Mark them All as Trolls ,deal strickly with Holy Orthodox Issues, I get sick of hearing or reading about the pope that he did this, and that......... Grin police

The Name Is Just Great the Way It Is, But if i had my way,I would Add Holy at the Beginning ......And No I didn't Vote..................

We should ban you, too, then because you've posted just as many articles about what the Roman Catholics are doing......and never miss a chance to remind us how much you hate the Pope.....but love all roman catholics, of course.... laugh police angel

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 05:56:22 PM »

I Only Read And posted the Naughty things the Roman Catholic Church is Guilty of ...So All of Holy Orthodoxy should be Aware Of and flee from...Thats All.... Grin

We should ban you, too, then because you've posted just as many articles about what the Roman Catholics are doing......and never miss a chance to remind us how much you hate the Pope.....but love all roman catholics, of course.... laugh police angel

Saint Iaint
This Poster Has Ignored Multiple Requests to Behave Better
High Elder

Faith: Once Delivered

The Truth Shall Be Reviled

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 06:03:05 PM »

So...

Is a 'Troll' just someone who disagrees with you or has a differing opinion on something?

Or is there more to it than that?

Is a 'Troll' just someone that you don't like?

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute...

Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, not giving heed to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn from the truth.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2011, 06:08:34 PM »

Precisely. However, I would say that it is even harder to look to Christ when we are being "attacked from the right" as the Fathers call it. When the demons "attack from the left", they are tempting us to do something which we know to be evil, whereas, when they "attack from the right", they are setting a trap using something which, on the surface, appears to be "good". In the case of "trolling", we are being tempted to "defend" the Truth. However, the Truth requires no defence, because the Truth is Christ. In reality, all we are doing by responding to trolls is getting more and more enmeshed in a trap meant to distract us from our repentance, almsgiving and prayer. We get angry and feel indignant, but what else is achieved? Nothing. And any good fruit is lost. There is only one weapon which can destroy this evil work, and that is Love. Eldress Gavrielia once said: "Love is a bomb which destroys all evil". If you want to respond to a troll on an Orthodox forum, then respond with Love! As the Eldress said: "Few words, much love. To all. No matter who they are."

Wonderful stuff oz. But if Jackel can mess with anyone's spiritual state that much, how are they ever going to leave their house?

No salvation, without temptation. You someone important said that.

And I agree with you 100%, well 79.3522632%

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2011, 06:10:26 PM »

So...

Is a 'Troll' just someone who disagrees with you or has a differing opinion on something?

Or is there more to it than that?

Is a 'Troll' just someone that you don't like?

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Is this rhetorical? Been on the internets before that word was used.

Don't like to just wiki someone off, but in this case, it is worthwhile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 06:11:17 PM »

I Only Read And posted the Naughty things the Roman Catholic Church is Guilty of ...So All of Holy Orthodoxy should be Aware Of and flee from...Thats All.... Grin

But that still makes you bannable under your suggestion.  After all, you're the one who posted,

" I get sick of hearing or reading about the pope that he did this, and that"

Apparently you don't get sick of it.  You revel in it and your posting history proves it.  You don't have to read the Orthodox-Catholic forum at all if you don't want to.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 06:14:28 PM »

Really kill thread couple with ignore options and other surgical tools of thread weaving are wonderful. They just didn't make the jump from Usenet to www boards unfortunately.

soufliotiki

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 06:20:30 PM »

In the case of "trolling", we are being tempted to "defend" the Truth. However, the Truth requires no defence, because the Truth is Christ. In reality, all we are doing by responding to trolls is getting more and more enmeshed in a trap meant to distract us from our repentance, almsgiving and prayer.

Quote of the month nomination.

Guide my heart, O Blessed Wisdom, and my tongue will also be guided ...
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 06:23:18 PM »

Wonderful stuff oz. But if Jackel can mess with anyone's spiritual state that much, how are they ever going to leave their house?
You make the sign of the cross, smile like someone who's Redeemer rose from the dead, and walk out the door. Smiley

PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2011, 12:17:13 PM »

Apparently you don't get sick of it.  You revel in it and your posting history proves it.  You don't have to read the Orthodox-Catholic forum at all if you don't want to.
Post of the month nominee here!!!
Jharek Carnelian

Faith: Less than perfect Catholic. Married to member of ROC

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 12:57:18 PM »

I am actually a regular poster at Catholic Answers Forums. Which you mention later on in the thread. I'd actually agree with your point that the Orthodox were and still are often the subject of generalised 'painting with a mile wide brush' comments there at times. However the reality is that like most internet forums both sides tend to like propelling mud at high velocities. Sadly those not interested in doing that often find their comments become lost in the labyrinthine maze of 'who said what' sniping and attempts at 'intellectual' one upsmanship that ensues as a result.

I've been lurking here for some time reading. I looked up the forum originally as my wife is Russian Orthodox and I have tried to take some pains to learn about Russian culture and her Church as it is intimately connected with that culture over a long historical span.
Sadly interent forums by their very nature tend to encourage these kind of views which I think run contrary to the spirit of Christianity itself. I would never advise someone to run away from the Orthodox Churches. Indeed my wife is seriously disaffected with her Church and I usually find myself in the position of arguing that the behaviour of individuals does not dilute the message of Christianity itself.

This is not an ideal first post but I am VASTLY fed up with the tar and feathers approach I've seen both Orthodoxs and Catholics use about each other at times.

And then my heart hath told me:
These will pass,
Will pass and change, will die and be no more,
Things bright and green, things young and happy;
And I have gone upon my way
Sorrowful.

'The Wayfarer' Pádraig Anraí Mac Piarais
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 01:06:56 PM »

If you want to nominate it you should do it in another way:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19897.0.html
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 01:14:48 PM »

I like this forum, and it's name.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2011, 08:07:05 PM »

I am actually a regular poster at Catholic Answers Forums. Which you mention later on in the thread. I'd actually agree with your point that the Orthodox were and still are often the subject of generalised 'painting with a mile wide brush' comments there at times. However the reality is that like most internet forums both sides tend to like propelling mud at high velocities. Sadly those not interested in doing that often find their comments become lost in the labyrinthine maze of 'who said what' sniping and attempts at 'intellectual' one upsmanship that ensues as a result.

I've been lurking here for some time reading. I looked up the forum originally as my wife is Russian Orthodox and I have tried to take some pains to learn about Russian culture and her Church as it is intimately connected with that culture over a long historical span.
Sadly interent forums by their very nature tend to encourage these kind of views which I think run contrary to the spirit of Christianity itself. I would never advise someone to run away from the Orthodox Churches. Indeed my wife is seriously disaffected with her Church and I usually find myself in the position of arguing that the behaviour of individuals does not dilute the message of Christianity itself.

This is not an ideal first post but I am VASTLY fed up with the tar and feathers approach I've seen both Orthodoxs and Catholics use about each other at times.

So, are you into Michael Moorcock?

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2011, 09:20:15 PM »

I think that I am quite a culprit when it comes to this  Wink .  this forum is the best thing in the world to new converts (aside from sitting and talking with a priest) so we must expect questions that to experienced Orthodox Christiansare boring and easily answered  Grin

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
PeaceSerenity

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2011, 09:25:30 PM »

I say we Should Follow The Same Example, Catholic Answers Forum Does, to the Orthodox Christian Posters, till we finally get rid of them the Catholic trolls, that is, like they do the Orthodox They Consider Trolls over there.....Eye For A Eye Sounds Great to Me....... Grin

They haven't kicked me out yet...hmmm...though it should only be a matter of time from what I've heard Smiley

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 09:28:23 PM by PeaceSerenity » Logged
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2011, 09:26:09 PM »

but isn't that just what happened to us (myself included) at the Catholic Answers forum?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2011, 09:33:52 PM »

Yes....... Grin

but isn't that just what happened to us (myself included) at the Catholic Answers forum?

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2011, 11:20:24 PM »

"It has been said that terror is the principle of despotic government. Does your government therefore resemble despotism? Yes, as the sword that gleams in the hands of the heroes of liberty resembles that with which the henchmen of tyranny are armed." - Maximilien Robespierre  Wink

Jharek Carnelian

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2011, 10:05:05 PM »

My apologies for not seeing this for a day or two. Still getting used to the layout of this forum. It would depend what you mean by 'into'. When I was in my teens and early twenties I thought him a better writer than he may actually be. I keep changing my views on that with regards to him. I picked this user name here and several other places as I was re-reading the book it's from. Although I've changed the spelling of the first name slightly. I mainly picked it as it was easy to remember and uncommon. The fact it's an obvious Jesus Christ reference was one that did strike me but at that point in my life I was a hardcore atheist. I'm just used to using it now as an user name so I stick with it.

These will pass,
Sorrowful.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2011, 10:15:16 PM »

My apologies for not seeing this for a day or two. Still getting used to the layout of this forum. It would depend what you mean by 'into'. When I was in my teens and early twenties I thought him a better writer than he may actually be.

I know what you mean. When I was a teen I thought Moorcock was the jewel of 20th century literature, but I recently looked back over my Elric and Hawkmoon books and realize how pulpy they are. Definitely fun, but fine literature they are not. I haven't read his more "serious", critically acclaimed books though, such as Mother London or Byzantium Endures.

Jharek Carnelian

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2011, 10:14:10 AM »

I've read the second book you mention and part of the last book in that series. Distinctly so-so I'd say. They have moments of brilliance but I feel if you start of reading Moorcock you eventually tend to outgrow him, my moment for that came when I read his whole, 'Epic Pooh,' essay about Tolkien. I'd say Lord Dunsany who is sadly not read much any more is a far superior writer from an earlier time.

These will pass,
Sorrowful.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2011, 08:13:59 PM »

I've read the second book you mention and part of the last book in that series. Distinctly so-so I'd say. They have moments of brilliance but I feel if you start of reading Moorcock you eventually tend to outgrow him, my moment for that came when I read his whole, 'Epic Pooh,' essay about Tolkien. I'd say Lord Dunsany who is sadly not read much any more is a far superior writer from an earlier time.

I think Moorcock's criticisms of Tolkien were largely politically motivated (Moorcock, as I'm sure you know, is an anarchist).

I agree about Dunsany. He is superior to most of the better-known fantasy authors. I think The King of Elfland's Daughter should be vigorously promoted as an essential fantasy novel.

Jharek Carnelian

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2011, 09:30:55 PM »

I came to Dunsany via an odd route, he was a relative of the Irish revolutionary leader Joseph Mary Plunkett who was executed for his role in the 1916 Easter Rising. When I was in my late teens reading a history book about that the author mentioned Lord Dunsany(Whose full name is  Edward John Moreton Drax Plunkett) who was in Dublin during that event also. Shortly afterwards I saw a very battered copy of, 'The King of Elfland's Daughter', which I bought and read. It is indeed a book that should be far better known, a lot of writers have cited it as an influence over the years.

As to the topic of the thread I don't see why the name should be changed. It's a forum largely concerned with the Orthodox Churches and the name reflects that. Any forum such as this dealing with ahem topics liable to produce er, heat will attract them.

These will pass,
Sorrowful.

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2011, 12:34:45 AM »

Stashko, my brother,

How soon one forgets! It seems to me that many of we Eastern Catholics and an Eastern Catholic Moderator made that same journey to banishment side-by-side with our Orthodox brethren.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: