OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 25, 2014, 05:30:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SOS computer savvy people...another virus!  (Read 581 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
But you can call me Trevor.
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: February 19, 2011, 03:57:16 PM »

so, I was actually in OC.net's chat and one of the people I was chatting with put up a link to some photos from Greece (very interesting, btw).  then, a thing popped up saying "your being attacked by viruses!".  last time, I got an up-to-date security program.  so, I ran every scan they had and they said "no infected files were found in your PC" or something like that. it gave my laptop a clean bill of health.  then, the message "your computer is infected!" and the noise of someone screaming popped up.  it keeps popping up.  I'm not on my laptop (that sound was driving me nutts), I'm on another computer.  I changed my e-mail password, too, just in case.

I have a few questions.

1.  it (the anti-virus it wants me to buy) says that there were several e-mails containing viruses sent to my contacts.  I checked my "sent" box, and it doesn't say that any such e-mails were sent. 
I also deleted my contacts last time (and have a little book of e-mail addresses on my desk to use)
can someone explain this to me?

2.  the anti-virus says that my computer is running clean, but the thing keeps popping up that says "you have a virus".
what's up with that.

what is the best thing to do?  forgive me, but I'm a bit frantic at the moment (about e-mails with viruses being sent out, my godmother had to buy a new computer last time).

Maybe I'm posting, maybe I'm not.  Who knows...
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 04:57:04 PM »

I know from experience that there are viruses posing as virus scanning software.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 05:00:57 PM »

Log onto your laptop, press Ctrl-Shift-Esc (opens up Task Manager), and under "Processes" are any of the following listed:
braviax.exe
ntos.exe
winivstr.exe

It sounds like you have a nasty little piece of malware/spyware that is trying to get you to install a rogue virus scanner.  First, I would try downloading "Ad-Aware" and "Spybot Search and Destroy", running them, and seeing if they pick up anything.  
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 05:08:46 PM by Entscheidungsproblem » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Pray for me, Sts. Mina & Kyrillos VI for my exams

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 05:16:20 PM »

Ah yes, windows executables.  I remember those days  Grin

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 10:46:20 PM »

I've been a Network Auditor for years now.

Download "Spybot search & Destroy", and AVG antivirus free edition.

Sounds like you have a maleware (spyware) that wants you to buy virus software.

Or simply download Ubuntu Linux for free & never worry about viruses or Microsoft again.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 11:49:06 PM »

Never, ever, click OK to any pop-up.  Always close it with the little red X in the upper right to close an unknown window.  Even clicking CANCEL/CLOSE sometimes will launch it.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: