OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 10:45:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do Egypt's Evangelicals Get Along with the Coptic Orthodox?  (Read 619 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: February 18, 2011, 01:13:46 PM »

More than they used to, say observers and insiders.
"When Muslims prayed in Tahrir Square, the Coptic Orthodox and Coptic Evangelicals protected them from anyone who would want to interfere," said Len Rodgers, executive director of Evangelicals for Middle East Understanding. "And then, during a Coptic Orthodox Mass in Tahrir, the Muslims protected the Coptic Orthodox. This is, I would say, unprecedented. It's a very unusual and, I would say, optimistic possibility for the future."
The first major Protestant presence in Egypt arrived with a group of Presbyterian missionaries in the 1850s, according to Kenneth Bailey, a lecturer in Middle Eastern New Testament Studies who lived in the Middle East for 40 years. It wasn't long, Bailey says, before Coptic leaders grew to regard them as rivals.

"The Coptic Orthodox claim the Apostle Mark was the founder of the Coptic Orthodox Church," says Rodgers. "The Coptic Evangelicals … appeared to be competition to the ancient church."

Now seems like a good time to join forces.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 01:14:13 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 11:02:15 PM »

We have a common persecutor, and that may unite us at times.  But when it comes to their so-called "evangelism," they spend their time doing it to Orthodox than to Muslims.  In fact, my grandmother expressed even more hatred to Protestants than Muslims, and this might be the case at times.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 11:02:34 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 04:46:04 AM »

We have a common persecutor, and that may unite us at times.  But when it comes to their so-called "evangelism," they spend their time doing it to Orthodox than to Muslims.  In fact, my grandmother expressed even more hatred to Protestants than Muslims, and this might be the case at times.

I've heard this from many Middle Eastern Orthodox and Catholic Christians that the Protestants are mainly trying to convert them rather than the Muslims.
Shiranui117
Formerly known as "Wandering Sheep"

Faith: Orthodox (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: ACROD/OCA

PUDDI PUDDI!

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 01:16:34 PM »

Perhaps because the repercussions from it aren't nearly as bad as converting the Muslims.  Undecided
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 01:33:04 PM »

Perhaps because the repercussions from it aren't nearly as bad as converting the Muslims.  Undecided

my thoughts exactly, both for the 'converter' and the 'converted'.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 01:33:52 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 03:27:40 PM »

This is what I would have guessed.  It's Sociology 101.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: