OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 04:00:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Entscheidungsproblem, GiC et al: Data Recovery  (Read 693 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« on: February 17, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »

Someone I know via the internet recently lost her hard drive. Didn't back up any data. She lost some what seems to be very important photos to her.

From your posts, I know you two ain't micro-serfs, but thought you might know of the current state of data recovery, reputable services, etc.

Turn around ain't important. And from what I can tell from her description, it sounds like a mechanical failure due to overheating which I am sure also created data corruption as well.

No DIY stuff, it is out of her league.

I haven't had to deal with this kinda thing in a meaningful manner for over a decade.

Again she is probably willing to depart with some decent cash to at least recover the photos. She sounds a bit distraught.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 09:54:57 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 11:59:51 PM »

1.  What OS?  Windows?
2.  This is DIY; however, this technique is also cost effective if your friend knows some tech-savvy people.

I recovered an entire Windows XP system with Handy Recovery.

1.  Connect dead hard drive to a working computer as a slave.
2.  Install Handy Recovery on working computer.
3.  Run Handy Recovery and see what it recovers.  Might take some time....
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:01:15 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 02:08:26 AM »

I'd pretty much recommend what SolEX01 said.  

A couple years ago I bought a IDE/SATA to USB cable (for like $20), which makes the whole process a lot easier.  Depending on how bad the damage is, sometimes you can just plug it in and drag a drop from the old drive.  

Otherwise I used TestDisk or PhotoRec to grab the files I needed.  Both are free and cross-platform.

SpinRite is one of the best (and easiest to use) paid programmes, but the GRC software is typically quite pricey.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 02:14:38 AM by Entscheidungsproblem » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 12:17:07 PM »

Thanks guys.

The problem seems to be that she is older and doesn't really know anyone who could help her locally.

Where I work, we just send the rare occasion of a drive with important data to a company that is great by ridiculously expensive. But when the data could possibly be involved in multi-million dollar patent cases, then the cost is just pittance.

I am thinking of having her just send the drive to mail via mail. I switched from linux to OS X a long time ago. And I do not use my work Windows comp for anything personal other than screwing around on the internet.

But I am going to be setting up a linux box for someone in the next couple days probably.

So those are my resources.

I just am hesitant to take a crack at it in the case it damaged significantly enough that a hack like myself might just one crack at it and possibly the only.

In case of failure due to overheating does the SOP still suggest ziplocking the drive and putting it into the freezer for a day or so?

So those the OSs I would have to work with in order to try to recover the data
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:18:23 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 03:13:20 PM »

The old freezer trick (wrap the drive in a towel, then put it in a freezer bag) isn't nearly as effective as it once was due to the sheer size of hard drives, and it has a record of pulling off miracles now and then (though it should only be used as a last resort).  Typically 2-4 hours in the freezer will give you about 20 minutes before the temperature internally is back up, so you have to work fast.

If it is just an overheating problem (and not an issue of the head crashing), you should be able to get the data back.  As a Mac user, TestDisk should work fine for you.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 03:17:30 PM »

The old freezer trick (wrap the drive in a towel, then put it in a freezer bag) isn't nearly as effective as it once was due to the sheer size of hard drives, and it has a record of pulling off miracles now and then (though it should only be used as a last resort).  Typically 2-4 hours in the freezer will give you about 20 minutes before the temperature internally is back up, so you have to work fast.

If it is just an overheating problem (and not an issue of the head crashing), you should be able to get the data back.  As a Mac user, TestDisk should work fine for you.

Thank you.

Tags: techies are cool 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: