OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 11:22:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Deacon for the Gallican Rite in ROCOR  (Read 3113 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« on: February 17, 2011, 05:38:03 PM »

Please keep in your prayers Maximos Brian Herman who will be ordained a deacon tomorrow in the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad at the Synod in New York.  He will be serving in the Gallican Rite at the parish of the Gallican priest Fr Allyne Lev Smith in Des Moines, IA.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 05:48:07 PM »

Please keep in your prayers Maximos Brian Herman who will be ordained a deacon tomorrow in the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad at the Synod in New York.  He will be serving in the Gallican Rite at the parish of the Gallican priest Fr Allyne Lev Smith in Des Moines, IA.
Glory to God!

I didn't know there was a Gallican church in the States. Good to know! Smiley

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 05:51:20 PM »

Axios! Or...whatever those Gallicans say. Tongue

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 07:33:11 PM »

Why on earth there would be a Gallican rite church in Iowa? It sounds kind of funny.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 07:45:06 PM »

Could we get a source or more information on this, Father? What is the name of the parish? I guess it suits the town, given the origin of the name.  laugh

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 07:50:22 PM »

Could we get a source or more information on this, Father? What is the name of the parish? I guess it suits the town, given the origin of the name.  laugh

My source was an e-mail from Fr Anthony (Bondi) who is Pastoral Vicar for Western Rite in the US in the Russian Church Abroad, under Metropolitan Hilarion and Bishop Jerome.  The church is dedicated to  Saint John the Wonderworker.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 08:24:23 PM »

My source was an e-mail from Fr Anthony (Bondi) who is Pastoral Vicar for Western Rite in the US in the Russian Church Abroad, under Metropolitan Hilarion and Bishop Jerome.  The church is dedicated to  Saint John the Wonderworker.
A wonderful patron! Smiley

In Christ,
Andrew

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 09:44:12 PM »

Why on earth there would be a Gallican rite church in Iowa? It sounds kind of funny.
Notice who is in blue

Des Moines. Isn't that French?
Des Moines takes its name from Fort Des Moines (1843–46), which was named for the Des Moines River. The French "des Moines" (pronounced [demwan]  ( listen)) translates literally to either "monks" or "of the monks".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Des_Moines,_Iowa

Where have I seen that before?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 09:54:05 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 09:51:01 PM »

Are there any recordings of the Gallican rite?  What liturgy do they use?

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 10:27:51 PM »

Comm'on ialmisry. You should be less predictable. try to, at least.
I was sure you were gonna jump in with an irrelevant map and an irrelevant toponym like these Sad

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 10:42:37 PM »

I was sure you were gonna jump in with an irrelevant map and an irrelevant toponym like these Sad

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you knew Gallic means French.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 10:45:29 PM »

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you knew Gallic means French.

Not.... exclusively. The Gauls were a Celtic group. The modern French people are a synthesis of the Germanic Franks and the Gauls.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 10:47:58 PM »

Are there any recordings of the Gallican rite?  What liturgy do they use?

I'm guessing they use the same liturgy as the "Orthodox Church of France", the Divine Liturgy of Saint Germanus of Paris:

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Divine_Liturgy_according_to_St._Germanus_of_Paris

which is an attempted (I don't know how successful or not it is) restoration of the ancient liturgy of the Gaulish people.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: