OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 04:04:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Payment for sacraments?  (Read 11117 times) Average Rating: 0
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #180 on: March 17, 2011, 05:43:07 PM »

Well, we are not in one of the "old countries", and if things are so wonderful there, people would not have left.  And yes, converts tend to be more questioning.  When you find out that you have been lied to for 20 or 30 years (or longer), you tend to test things a bit before you drink the Kool-aid (I can explain that phrase to you if they don't use it in the "old country").  One can be humble and at the same time avoid being just another one of sheeple. 

So those of us who think that simony has no place in the church are now Gnostics?

I don't know why you're following advice from non-Russians (including myself) in this thread because either they are trying to confuse you or you're trying to "stir the pot."

I concur with Father Ambrose - seek consultation from Church officials in St. Petersburg, RUSSIA not an Internet Forum.   Smiley

Honestly, I don't feel they are confusing me. I think I've gotten some fairly good answers to this, including the last one from katherineofdixie, and I felt weird about being the American guy who's being catechized here just going up to a Russian priest/official and asking about whether a certain practice at their parish is corrupt or not. I don't take the thoughts of anyone on here to be infallible at all, but the forum can be helpful. I suppose I'm just more interested in discussing faith, liturgy, etc. with my priest here, and would feel awkward attempting to articulate exactly how I felt about this issue to him.

As for the quote of mine above, I've gathered that the poster who called my/our attitude "cathar-like" just has his own approach, and may be trying to get a rise out of people with whom he does not agree.

Third, I don't want to be misinterpreted, again. I absolutely believe that parishioners have a duty to support their church, and that it is more than correct to give such honorariums to priests at many occasions, donate generously to their parish and especially to pay for things like candles, as the church has obviously paid for them. My concern is that folks who are unable to pay for sacraments, the things which above all else bring us to God, or who would be awfully compromised by it  (a position I am thankful to not be in), would be left out. Such people can choose to never eat out, and as such not be subject to tipping, but should they then choose to not attend church and partake in the sacraments, as well? This is why I find the issue slippery, especially in a country like Russia, where the state is very generous to the church.

Again, I think your concerns again are 100% legitimate. Personally, what I would do is talk to my priest, and tell him that this payment thing is kind of confusing/inconvenient, and I would ask him if I could instead make a "pledge" which will indicate what I plan on donating to the church over the course of the year so that he can better anticipate his budget and make it simpler on myself as well. Perhaps this may 'spark' an idea, and maybe over time he may encourage other parishoners to do the same. I find it difficult to see how he could object to such a notion.
Parishes do not operate like this in the Orthodox home-countries. Is there a Calvinist beneath every American? I hope not. What about just going with the flow? Doesn't that sound more humble, especially for a catechumen?

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #181 on: March 17, 2011, 05:43:51 PM »

A good question was raised at a clergy retreat I attended today: If the Lord were to pluck your parish off the Earth now, would the community miss it?  Would the poor, widows, homeless, orphans, unchurched, etc. miss it?

I have a feeling that if, objectively, the answer to the question is "yes," then your parish likely has no need to have minimum dues, or sacrament fees.

Amen!

Noesisaa

« Reply #182 on: March 17, 2011, 05:52:14 PM »

I'm also Romanian, grew up in Romania. Augustin is actually not that far off from Orthodox Romanian reality, at all, actually. Cheesy As cynical as it might sound...
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #183 on: March 17, 2011, 06:01:55 PM »

Since we call her husband "Father", what is wrong with calling her "Mother"?  That is pretty much the way the Russian and Serb words would translate anyway.

If so which do you use? I have seen Frederica Matthews-Green(?) referred in the Russian, Greek, etc. traditions.

That's a good question.  Maybe a mod can answer for us?

I would call the priest's wife the respectful title she is due - in whichever language she speaks.

- Presbytera - Greek
 - Popadia/Papadiya - Serbian
 - Matushka - Russian
 - Pani Matushka/Pani Dobrodiyka - Ukrainian
 - Khouria - Syrian
 - etc.

Remember, the priest's wife is also due respect.  Her role in her parish is greater than any other woman's.

And in English?

EDIT: The above is rhetorical, as I know of no one using an English title for the wife of a Priest. Find it odd.

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #184 on: March 17, 2011, 06:07:07 PM »

That's true.

The priest is called "Batyushka" - Father
His wife is called "Matushka" - Mother

However, the word "Mother" might get confused with title given to a nun.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #185 on: March 17, 2011, 06:12:10 PM »

I'm also Romanian, grew up in Romania. Augustin is actually not that far off from Orthodox Romanian reality, at all, actually. Cheesy As cynical as it might sound...

Would you promote the Orthodox Romanian reality as the standard which all Orthodox should imitate? Would you agree with him that Orthodox who object to simony are closet Calvinists?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #186 on: March 17, 2011, 06:13:57 PM »

That's true.

The priest is called "Batyushka" - Father
His wife is called "Matushka" - Mother

However, the word "Mother" might get confused with title given to a nun.

True.  But that would not be so bad given that monks are called "Father", too.

augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #187 on: March 17, 2011, 06:15:47 PM »

Would you promote the Orthodox Romanian reality as the standard which all Orthodox should imitate? Would you agree with him that Orthodox who object to simony are closet Calvinists?
That isn't really simony. But perhaps you know something I do not know. And america is quite Calvinist, culturally. And it ain't me who said that.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 06:18:36 PM by augustin717 » Logged
Noesisaa

« Reply #188 on: March 17, 2011, 06:43:02 PM »

Well, I object to paying for blessings and prayers and the like too. Only that I can't do anything myself about it, so I'll go with the flow. What I am saying is that what Augustin is depicting is indeed a very real face of Orthodoxy. People shouldn't imitate it, no. But they should be aware that it exists and that it is considered a valid way of doing things is some parte of the world. No, Orthdoxy is not spotless.

Well, maybe Calvinists without realizing it. Cheesy
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #189 on: March 17, 2011, 06:44:41 PM »

And america is quite Calvinist, culturally. And it ain't me who said that.

No doubt.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #190 on: March 17, 2011, 07:03:44 PM »

That isn't really simony. But perhaps you know something I do not know. And america is quite Calvinist, culturally. And it ain't me who said that.
And I don't think anyone has disagreed with that assessment, including myself. What we have disagreed with is your assumption that any of us who take issue with the practices we've been discussing do so as a result of some toxic American Calvinism.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #191 on: March 17, 2011, 09:56:31 PM »

Is there an ialmisry fan club?

Count me in!  laugh
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #192 on: March 18, 2011, 03:24:26 AM »

I'm the head of the club, membership costs $15 bucks.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #193 on: March 18, 2011, 04:05:36 AM »

Is this a suggested donation, or a hard fee?

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #194 on: March 18, 2011, 04:15:33 AM »

Touche!!   laugh laugh laugh
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #195 on: March 19, 2011, 12:00:59 AM »

^ That was funny!   Cheesy

Now, back to the OP.

I was just "surfing" the Web and happened upon the Valaam Monastery site.  It's in Russian, but, those of you who can't read it can always get it to translate, if you open it via Google.

http://valaam.ru/ru/prayer/

They actually have a price list if you are looking to have them pray for you and your loved ones.

Donation (minimum) direct from the calculation:
-Reading of the Psalter for 1 year (1 name) - 800 rubles.   [That's about $28 U.S.]
-Proskomedia for 1 year (1 name) - 800 rubles.
-Proskomedia for a period of 40 days (Prayers for the Dead, 1 name) - 200 rubles.
-Eternal remembrance does not occur.

So there you have it.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #196 on: March 19, 2011, 02:23:09 AM »

They actually have a price list if you are looking to have them pray for you and your loved ones.

-Reading of the Psalter for 1 year (1 name) - 800 rubles.   [That's about $28 U.S.]
-Proskomedia for a period of 40 days (Prayers for the Dead, 1 name) - 200 rubles.

So there you have it.

That is incredibly cheap!

Proskomedia commemoration for 1 year works out at

54 cents per Sunday (if the commemoration in only at Sunday Liturgy)

or 0.077 cents per day (if the commemoration is at daily Liturgy.)

Recommendation: People might consider sending the names of their dead to Valaam for commemoration at the Proskomedia.   
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #197 on: March 19, 2011, 02:29:29 AM »

^ That was funny!   Cheesy

Now, back to the OP.

I was just "surfing" the Web and happened upon the Valaam Monastery site.  It's in Russian, but, those of you who can't read it can always get it to translate, if you open it via Google.

So there you have it.

what is everyone's opinion of this?
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #198 on: March 19, 2011, 02:30:56 AM »

Wha?? IS OUTRAGE!!! Ialmisry himself would never have approved of such a thing...   Wink
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #199 on: March 19, 2011, 05:13:59 AM »

Not approved of the fan club, not approved of Aposphet being the head, or not approved of the membership fee?  laugh laugh laugh
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #200 on: March 19, 2011, 06:24:26 AM »

Hard fee and circumcision.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #201 on: March 30, 2011, 11:06:36 AM »

I'm late to this thread, but I'll throw my support for Augustin in as well. He represents the actual practice of Romanian Orthodoxy (and Balkan Orthodoxy in general) quite well. Furthermore, I share his reservations about the books of Frederica Matthewes-Green, though I'd say that it's not her or her books that are bad, but the tendency for other Orthodox to recommend them universally when they really only work on a certain demographic of middle or upper-class, female, middle-aged Americans.

And I don't think that he is representing Romanian Orthodoxy as the ideal that Americans must emulate, but rather challenging the talk of people around here who think that the way things are in the US is something that all Orthodox worldwide must emulate.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 11:10:35 AM by CRCulver » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #202 on: March 30, 2011, 07:56:34 PM »

I'm late to this thread, but I'll throw my support for Augustin in as well. He represents the actual practice of Romanian Orthodoxy (and Balkan Orthodoxy in general) quite well. Furthermore, I share his reservations about the books of Frederica Matthewes-Green, though I'd say that it's not her or her books that are bad, but the tendency for other Orthodox to recommend them universally when they really only work on a certain demographic of middle or upper-class, female, middle-aged Americans.

And I don't think that he is representing Romanian Orthodoxy as the ideal that Americans must emulate, but rather challenging the talk of people around here who think that the way things are in the US is something that all Orthodox worldwide must emulate.

There is plenty of corruption in US Orthodoxy too. Augustin's argument is that we should be okay with it, right here where we are.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Dart
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #203 on: June 11, 2011, 08:23:35 PM »

bump
Tags: simony 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: