OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 02:26:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icons in the Workplace  (Read 584 times) Average Rating: 0
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« on: February 16, 2011, 02:58:50 PM »

So, I work a desk job. I've done this for awhile, at more than one office. It's quite bland. I have a cubicle, in a sea of cubicles, and many many people highly decorate our bland cubicle walls to make our personal space not so bland. I have done this in the past, but not really with icons. I began this some time ago by purchasing a small standing shrine of Christ from my parish bookstore. It's nice having it there, and I do occasional silent prayers (e.g., the prayer before commencing any task, found in many prayer books, is posted above my computer and I try to remember and pray it each morning).

I would like to include more icons in my workspace and create somewhat of a mini icon corner. Nothing elaborate, and only small laminated prints (which I will probably print off and laminate myself). I feel like it would bring a sacredness to my work that I think would be positive for me.

It may also end up being a conversation piece as people walk by and see it. Co-workers have on occasion noted the Christ icon, as well as my prayer rope and books I keep at my desk, which often involve something about Orthodoxy. I guess my point is that I don't evangelize, but I have no problems with displaying my faith in silent ways already.

Has anyone had any experience with incorporating such things at work? If yes, please share your experience (aesthetics, practical advise, how having icons at work affected you and co-workers, etc.)Whether you have or not, do you think it's a good idea? Why or why not?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 03:00:16 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 03:29:01 PM »

I have a small diptych on my desk.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 03:33:51 PM »

I have an icon of the Theotokos and an icon of my patron saint in my cubicle at my office. I often have bits of spare time when my computer is crunching away, and having the icons there reminds me that I can say a prayer instead of staring at the spinning beachball or off into space. Same goes for when I get frustrated with something. When the icons aren't there, I don't think of that.

The icons have made for some nice conversations with co-workers, all of whom are Protestants. But most have said nothing. They irk the president, but I don't care Wink A few people have gained an appreciation for icons because of it, and that's always nice.

Some places, such as government offices, might not allow religious items. But if your company does, I think it's a fine reminder that everything in life is spiritual, even menial office work.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 03:36:26 PM by bogdan » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 03:55:32 PM »

I work in an "agile" environment. Although I snap up the same spot with decent sun exposure everyday. You basically have to set up your workspace everyday.

And at this point, I know I wouldn't feel comfortable making my "inquiry" so public in my concern that I might cast a negative light on the Church.

That being said, I've been approached by quite a few people asking about what has happened to me over the last year or so. I simply tell them. And they in interest go to at least a couple Great Vespers with me.

My Priest has remarked on the number of people who show up with me.

During one of the crummier nights of weather we had, the mid-week Vesper service consisted of my Priest, me and a handful of folks with me. It was interesting as the Priest spoke with everyone a little afterward and wrote a gentle admonition to the parish in his daily email about times when visitors and inquirers outnumber registered parishioners during Vesperal (is that a word and should it be capitalized?) services.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 03:56:36 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 04:58:27 PM »

I am not allowed to truly "personalize" my cubicle.  We have been informed to keep it to a minimum and NO live plants! 

I have the wall calendar I got at church.  It has icons on top and the calendar hangs below.

I also have a tiny triptych leaning against the wall...right next to the phone.  I find it actually helps me stay calm....even when things seem to be going "wrong", I look at the kind face of Christ depicted on the center icon, and it helps to remind me of what's truly important in life.

...and I have a plastic plant!   Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 05:19:31 PM »

I have been blessed enough up to this point to be able to have the following set up in my office:

However, we're moving to a new building next month and I will be sharing a larger space with a co-worker.  While she has no problem with me setting up such a prayer corner in our shared space, unless we can create a modicum of "private space" using shelves, I probably won't be able to set something like this up.  I would just feel strange praying in front of someone while she works.  

I will definitely have the icons of Christ and St. Joseph (which I commissioned after I got this job thanks to his intercession in my procuring it!) somewhere in my part of the office though; they just might not be arranged like they are now.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:20:04 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags: prayer icon corner icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: