OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 11:12:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Evangelical "prophets"?  (Read 783 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: February 16, 2011, 09:19:32 AM »

I have been talking to a nice friend at school about Orthodoxy.  well, she approached me the other day.  she says her pastor(-ess), who was a "prophet", told her she had a friend who said he was Orthodox, and that she should being him to be baptized Pentacostal (as she believes every other denom. is wrong)

of course I'm not going.   Cheesy

thoughts?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 10:16:34 AM »

I'm in the graphic design business, and to make ends meet last year I had to take a project with a Pentecostal group that was advertising its prophets and "church". They even have a "Prophet School" for children, where they learn to speak in tongues and such.

I was disturbed by it all. My spiritual father suggested I not get involved and consider where I draw the line in my work. I would not do it again, but it was an interesting insight. I felt bad for the children who may be getting exposed to unclean spirits with all this.

How are Pentecostals baptized? I imagine it's like Benny Hinn throwing people to the ground, but I have no idea.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 10:19:23 AM by bogdan » Logged
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 11:44:11 AM »

How are Pentecostals baptized? I imagine it's like Benny Hinn throwing people to the ground, but I have no idea.
They are baptized by single-immersion "in the name of Jesus."

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 11:52:53 AM »

They are baptized by single-immersion "in the name of Jesus."

That is not entirely true. Some pentacostals as you state are "oneness" and reject the Trinity and baptize in the name of Jesus only. Many pentacostals though, do believe and baptize in the name of the Trinity.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:53:55 AM by PoorFoolNicholas » Logged
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 11:56:29 AM »

The way I approach this is the following:

1) Assume that there is some natural or normal way the Pentecostal preacher knew about you.  Perhaps your friend told a friend and it got back to the preacher. The preacher then uses this as a way to "prove" she has spiritual gifts.  It may even be subconscious after years of seeking after this.

2) Assume it is a demonic deception.

3) I believe that God can work through non-Orthodox, but the key to discernment is what is the fruit? If the fruit is to get you out of the Church of Christ, then obviously this is not from God.  Something that might be "from God" would be if an Evangelical pastor goes to a witch doctor in some tribe and converts him to Christianity.  Sure, it's not to the Church of Christ, but it's a step in the right direction using the available means.  I could see God using that as a step.  Ultimately, though, we really can't speak with definitive judgment on what happens outside the Orthodox faith.

As I wrote in an article on a parish website:

This leads us to the question of measuring such experiences. Is there a way one can know which of the above options any given experience was? Is it even profitable to do so? The Orthodox response might be that it is difficult to know, and is probably not profitable to investigate. A big clue though would be the outcome; as a result of any given experience, did the person come closer to God and His Church, or slip further away? Jonathan Edwards, the famous New England preacher, had ecstatic experiences which led him to become a Calvinist. Many Mormons cite a “burning in the bosom” as proof of the Book of Mormon.

For Orthodox, however, religious experiences before conversion were often steps on the path that ultimately lead them to fulfillment—and what they experienced in Orthodoxy goes far beyond the experiences of the past. Orthodoxy builds on and completes prior experiences which while good were steps, not the end in themselves. By seeing where the person ended up—in or outside the Church—and if they died outside the Church by judging whether they came closer to it in their life (for instance from paganism to Evangelicalism) are good indicators, but again are highly subjective. It is best to leave such uncertainties to God, who is a just and merciful judge.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 11:26:18 PM »

Sounds like an open door to introduce them to Elder Porphyrios, or St. Paisios.  Compare track records, wisdom, and "insight".  If the prophet is no a 100%er (who should be stoned by strictly literal Biblical standards), if he does not have the active and manifest grace that attended to the lives of our more recent Saints and elders…then maybe having examined the lives of a few he might realize he's been swimming in the wrong baptistry…and want to investigate the faith which can to this day produces holy men and women of New Testament stature. 

Of course such counting coup "contests"/challenges might be crass/out of place in a given context….but hey, you never know if The Young Man, the Guru, and Elder Paisios, Wounded by Love, or The Aescitic of Love might make an impression.  Then there's the whole Holy fire in Jerusalem, the annual cloud on Mt. Tabor, the Jordan River flowing backwards at Theophany, etc. 

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: