OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 05:15:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Byzantine Liturgical Reform: A Study of Liturgical Change...  (Read 2416 times) Average Rating: 0
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« on: February 16, 2011, 01:49:26 AM »

Light & Life Publishing has released a book titled Byzantine Liturgical Reform: A Study of Liturgical Change in the Byzantine Tradition. From the description of the book:

"The author...demonstrates that deliberate liturgical reform is nothing new in the Byzantine rite. He offers four examples of reform: (1) The Studite reform (8th c.) (2) the Pascal triduum (8-13th c.) (3) the Prothesis development (11-14th c.) (4) three 17th c. reforms among the Orthodox in Kiev under Metrop, Peter Moghila, and in Moscow under Patriarch Nikon."

Has anyone read this book?
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 02:44:44 AM »

Light & Life Publishing has released a book titled Byzantine Liturgical Reform: A Study of Liturgical Change in the Byzantine Tradition. From the description of the book:

"The author...demonstrates that deliberate liturgical reform is nothing new in the Byzantine rite. He offers four examples of reform: (1) The Studite reform (8th c.) (2) the Pascal triduum (8-13th c.) (3) the Prothesis development (11-14th c.) (4) three 17th c. reforms among the Orthodox in Kiev under Metrop, Peter Moghila, and in Moscow under Patriarch Nikon."

I haven't read it, but I've heard about different "reforms" that have occurred. If you think about it, the Liturgies of St. Basil, St. John Chrysostom, etc... were all reforms, since they simply shortened parts the Liturgy (and added some new prayers).
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 12:33:47 PM »

Keep an open mind and always remember that the Liturgies we have today did not spontaneously erupt or be divinely revealed. Rather they were a product of various practices, dogmatic definitions and evolution over the centuries.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 12:46:36 PM »

I haven't read it, but I've heard about different "reforms" that have occurred. If you think about it, the Liturgies of St. Basil, St. John Chrysostom, etc... were all reforms, since they simply shortened parts the Liturgy (and added some new prayers).
and supressed other lituriges and rites (e.g. Alexandrian, Antiochian, etc.).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 12:40:36 PM »

It would be useful to know the author of the book, then we can see if he is qualified to write on this topic or merely expressing personal opinions.
As for Metropolitan Petro Mohyla, many have argued that his Trebnyk introduced some Latinizations into the Orthodox Church. It is online some where but I have lost the link.
To the best of my knoweldge I do not believe he made changes to the celebration of the Divine Liturgy itself.
Jake

Faith: Eastern orthodox

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 04:14:34 PM »

It would be useful to know the author of the book, then we can see if he is qualified to write on this topic or merely expressing personal opinions.
As for Metropolitan Petro Mohyla, many have argued that his Trebnyk introduced some Latinizations into the Orthodox Church. It is online some where but I have lost the link.
To the best of my knoweldge I do not believe he made changes to the celebration of the Divine Liturgy itself.

You can read a book review here:
http://www.amazon.com/Byzantine-Liturgical-Reform-Change-Tradition/dp/0881413437
The author is a Greek Catholic monk who discusses  the topic from a RC background with references to Vatican 2.

I think the use of the word "Byzantine" inthe title gives hints of the Greek Catholic background and context in which the book is written.  I wouldn't waste my money on it.
Actually I am surprised that "Light & Life" would even carry it for sale.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 04:35:55 PM »

I think the use of the word "Byzantine" inthe title gives hints of the Greek Catholic background and context in which the book is written.  I wouldn't waste my money on it.

It's not published by Light and Life.  The publisher is Saint Vladimir's Seminary Press.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 10:16:52 AM »

It's not published by Light and Life.  The publisher is Saint Vladimir's Seminary Press.
I wonder why St. Vladimir's press is publishing a Roman Catholic author?Huh  The Catholics have so many of their own presses for their books.
I wish St. Vladimir's Press would publish more English translations of Russian theologians, especially the theologians who were writing in all the church journals before the Sobor of 1917 discussing the role of the laity inthe church.  We nedto read these works.
MarkosC

Faith: Patriarchate of Antioch
Jurisdiction: Greek/Melkite Catholic

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 01:35:23 AM »

I did a quick read of this book and have a review posted in the reviews forum:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,42819.0.html

O Lord although I desired to blot out
with my tears the handwriting of my many sins
And for the rest of my life to please Thee
through sincere repentance
Yet doth the enemy lead me astray as he wareth
against my sould with his cunning

O Lord before I utterly perish do Thou save me!
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 01:51:15 AM »

I'm very much interested in the ways the liturgy developed in the Slavic lands after the fall of the Byzantine Empire.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 02:16:46 AM »

I have to say that I really enjoyed this book published by Conciliar Press by Fr Lawrence Farley.
It has been a while since I read it but I do remember that Fr Farley goes over many of the changes to the liturgy throughout the centuries.

http://www.conciliarpress.com/products/Let-Us-Attend%21-A-Journey-Through-the-Orthodox-Divine-Liturgy.html
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: