OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 05:05:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Logical Fallacies of Religion.  (Read 7765 times) Average Rating: 0
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2011, 10:57:57 AM »

But this is true. Logically, the First Cause cannot be within the system of causation or be required to be under its same rules.

Firstly that is incorrect when the cause is the base substance of the entire system..

But the in the case of God, the cause is not the base substance of the entire system, so what are you talking about?

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2011, 11:08:56 AM »

I have.. learn how to use English. The definitions of words are not going to bend to your ideology lol

For someone who claims to be clued up on philosophy, TheJackel has never read Saussure (the linguistic sign is arbitrary).
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2011, 11:14:39 AM »

Jackel, in all your posts I still have no clue what you're talking about. Why is it so hard to understand that a non-material entity does not require the rules of material entities to justify its existence? The only thing you do as ramble about "nothing" followed by childish lol's.

I get that you take materialism for granted but you have in no way shown that to be the most reasonable default position, and yet you refuse to work under any other frame of reference. It's tiresome.
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2011, 11:15:09 PM »

The more he throws around "logical fallacy", the more I think he Wiki'd the term last week, got the gist of it, and is going wild with it.

Or: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 11:15:41 PM by bogdan » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2011, 11:46:11 PM »

Jackel, in all your posts I still have no clue what you're talking about. Why is it so hard to understand that a non-material entity does not require the rules of material entities to justify its existence? The only thing you do as ramble about "nothing" followed by childish lol's.

I get that you take materialism for granted but you have in no way shown that to be the most reasonable default position, and yet you refuse to work under any other frame of reference. It's tiresome.

Like I said to synthesize his "argumentation" thus far on this board is as follows: "LOL! Incorrect! LOL! Incorrect! A bunch of psuedo-intellectual babble that tries to be so convoluted in order to stump the opposition and freely throwing out links with no quotations from any of these sources."

There was a post here made by Dart against TtC, but I think it's fitting for this discussion:

"It is like he is building this huge Rube Goldberg machine of reason and logic to try and explain God's love, God's creation, and God's energies warming his heart like the sun shining on a beach.  As we lay on the beach enjoying the rays of God's love, he is running around trying to build a wall of sand to keep the ocean tide away. We just can't help to laugh as he tries to use his little shovel so desperately

God's creation is so wonderful that he makes many things for us to laugh, enjoy, and marvel at. It really is not that hard to let God love you. The hard part is loving back and realizing how little we have to offer in return.

Keep digging! You'll find God no matter where you look. He is everywhere."

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheJackel

Faith: Materialist

« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2011, 06:34:22 AM »

Jackel, in all your posts I still have no clue what you're talking about.

If you had a basic education in English you would know. Wink

Insinuating that one has not received a basic education in English is by definition an ad hominem in that it goes to the person and not to his arguments. We don't permit such personal attacks here. Considering your recent history of such disrespect for proper decorum on this forum, you are now on Post Moderation for the next 3 weeks. During this time every one of your posts must be screened by a moderator before it will appear on the forum. If during or after this time on Post Moderation you continue to post such personal insults of our posters you will be muted or even banned from this site. Please feel free to appeal my warning via private message to Fr. George if you think it unfair.

- PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:54:06 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
TheJackel

« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2011, 06:36:00 AM »

"It is like he is building this huge Rube Goldberg machine of reason and logic to try and explain God's love, God's creation, and God's energies warming his heart like the sun shining on a beach.  As we lay on the beach enjoying the rays of God's love, he is running around trying to build a wall of sand to keep the ocean tide away. We just can't help to laugh as he tries to use his little shovel so desperately

I don't deny that the Sun exists, nor do I proclaim it to be made of nothing Wink And I bask in the sun all the time to warm my heart with it's life giving love Smiley And yep, the Sun surely is responsible for the creation of the heavier elements to which have given rise to the possibility of life. Not sure what wall I have been building to keep the Sunlight out of my life O.o .. Perhaps I'm the only one with the open blinds?

Funny watching Christians worship the Sun while they have no clue as to the fact that they are. lol
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 06:40:55 AM by TheJackel » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2011, 02:49:13 AM »

Oh...wow. You do realize that quote is just using the rays of the sun as a figure of speech for the energies of God? If I said "I have butterflies in my stomach" you would probably take it literally.

/facepalm

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheJackel

« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2011, 04:21:28 AM »

Oh...wow. You do realize that quote is just using the rays of the sun as a figure of speech for the energies of God? If I said "I have butterflies in my stomach" you would probably take it literally.

/facepalm

Actually I did know.. But I was equating your religion to that of the worshiping of a sun GOD.. Wink Even your sites banner displays that kind of symbolism quite nicely Smiley
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2011, 11:28:08 AM »

/facepalm

Actually I did know.. But I was equating your religion to that of the worshiping of a sun GOD.. Wink Even your sites banner displays that kind of symbolism quite nicely Smiley
I am embarrassed for you.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2011, 12:15:45 PM »

So Jackel, what would you say to this:

My mind, body, and soul have a need for God, therefore God must exist.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2011, 12:54:20 PM »

-Nick
I really like this argument. It's fleshed out here: http://www.peterkreeft.com/topics/desire.htm
But I doubt that Jackal will accet such an existential argument, though it's actually one of my favorites. I highly encourage Jackal to read the artical above, and seriously consider all of it's implications before he simply just states, "lol. Stupid argument. LOL"

TheJackel

« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2011, 01:08:07 PM »

-Nick

Please validate that a Mind, Body, and soul would require a GOD to exist. Sorry, but your own existence and your own philosophy about mind and body is only evidence of your own existence. And you do realize there is more than one spirituality belief in this world that doesn't encompass a magical deity correct? Even Atheists can be spiritual.. Your assumptions that a god must exist is incorrect. Existence would exist with or without one because a GOD is irrelevant to it. It is not existence that requires a GOD but your supposed Deity that would require it in order to exist. Thus I can play that game to and just say that no GOD exists.

Right back at ya... Adults with imaginary friends is silly.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 01:11:54 PM by TheJackel » Logged
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2011, 01:13:51 PM »

Right back at ya... Adults with imaginary friends is silly.

Actually, the reason that I am embarrassed for you is that you accept the magically philosophy of materialism. Your fairies and dwarfs (matter only) perform all kinds of magical tricks like bringing something from nothing, creating more from less, and forming order from disorder.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 01:14:08 PM by Papist » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2011, 01:16:18 PM »

-Nick

Please validate that a Mind, Body, and soul would require a GOD to exist.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh he didn't say require but had a need for God.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2011, 02:31:58 PM »

-Nick

Please validate that a Mind, Body, and soul would require a GOD to exist.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh he didn't say require but had a need for God.

Right on, I didn't say that my mind, body, and soul require a God, I said they have a need for it. The words were purposefully chosen. If you want to argue syntax, then:

My mind, body, and soul have a longing for God, therefore, God must exist.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2011, 03:15:37 PM »

-Nick

Please validate that a Mind, Body, and soul would require a GOD to exist. Sorry, but your own existence and your own philosophy about mind and body is only evidence of your own existence. And you do realize there is more than one spirituality belief in this world that doesn't encompass a magical deity correct? Even Atheists can be spiritual.. Your assumptions that a god must exist is incorrect. Existence would exist with or without one because a GOD is irrelevant to it. It is not existence that requires a GOD but your supposed Deity that would require it in order to exist. Thus I can play that game to and just say that no GOD exists.

That's "Mathematical singularity" for you..  The point at which math breaks down.  There is a good argument for both and in the end is just a guess. But someone must be right. Right?

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2011, 03:30:11 PM »

Hey Jackel, I know this is going to be an obvious answer from you but I don't like to construct straw men. You don't believe in an after life, correct? May I ask what is wrong with believing in life after death?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheJackel

« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2011, 02:14:23 PM »

Hey Jackel, I know this is going to be an obvious answer from you but I don't like to construct straw men. You don't believe in an after life, correct? May I ask what is wrong with believing in life after death?

Actually I do believe in the possibility of the after life.. I just know it won't be made of nothing, or not be bound to the same principle rules of information theory. I'm not even arguing for the non-existence of a GOD. I am only arguing the fallacies surrounding such concepts to which are impossible and self-collapsing :/
TheJackel

« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2011, 02:15:06 PM »

Actually I do believe in the possibility of the after life.. I just know it won't be made of nothing, or not be bound to the same principle rules of information theory. I'm not even arguing for the non-existence of an entity to which could be called a GOD. I am only arguing the fallacies surrounding such concepts to which are impossible and self-collapsing :/ Or that one really isn't required to where there can be an untold number of plausible possibilities without having to cling to fallacies. Smiley
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: