OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 12:02:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So ... God is not supposed to communicate back?  (Read 1162 times) Average Rating: 0
David 2007

« on: February 16, 2011, 12:35:57 AM »

I posted a thread, that got moved to a private forum 3 months ago. I only just gained access to it, to see the replies.

I mentioned that when I prayed to God, I got a reply.

So in the thread I was called a Drunk and delusional, and I think someone said I could be sleeping with hookers?Huh?

In the protestant/Evangelical faith we are taught to pray, and that God will sometimes answer back etc.

So..... I take it this is not allowed in EO?Huh??
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 12:40:35 AM »

God answers all prayers, but sometimes that answer is no.

May I ask how do you "get a reply"? Is there some sort of physical experience with that?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
David 2007

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 12:42:08 AM »

It's like, words appear in my mind. after some quiet.

I pray for an answer, I don't always get one.

I also always am skeptical about this. The reaction in the forum, is actually very disheartening to me Sad
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 12:46:14 AM »

It's like, words appear in my mind. after some quiet.
I see. Don't take this the wrong way, but how do you discern from an answer of God than from your own thought?

I pray for an answer, I don't always get one.
Sometimes it can't be answered at the moment but in due time it will, and could be answered rather in subtlety. I wouldn't get too hung up on it, many times I pray I don't get an answer back but it takes time for that answer to reveal itself.

The reaction in the forum, is actually very disheartening to me Sad
I am sorry to hear this, don't let your relationship with God be damaged by another human's words.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
David 2007

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 01:02:17 AM »

I am sorry to hear this, don't let your relationship with God be damaged by another human's words.

Nope, I won't.

However it's made me seriously reconsider EO as my denomination.

I think that was probably the last straw.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 01:07:00 AM »

Nope, I won't.

Brother I encourage you to not hold this place with so much authority on Orthodoxy. In fact someone else here felt the same way, she was sick of both churches (RC and EO) and complained this place really "poisoned it" for her.

Message boards are a different ballgame than reality. Have you tried speaking to an EO priest about this?

May the Lord guide you closer to Him.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 01:07:31 AM by Aposphet » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 01:12:30 AM »

Nope, I won't.

One shouldn't draw conclusions regarding Orthodoxy based on the attitude/opinion of several of it's practitioners, especially on an internet forum.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 01:40:13 AM »

Interesting question and thread, David.  I certainly echo the above comments about not taking postings on internet forums too seriously, but I understand your frustration. 

It seems that many Orthodox, not just on internet forums, are quick to dismiss personal experiences (unless you're an Elder or Saint).  I understand the reasoning for this, as the Church needs to be careful about where someone's guidance comes from and caution us about being misled.  I personally believe that prayers of mine have been answered in extraordinary ways, but that these occurrences might be, by some, carelessly dismissed or attributed to demonic forces.

I think the context of these occurrences is very important, and on matters such as this, you should communicate with a priest. I hope you get a much more satisfactory response than you did in the other thread.   

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 02:57:52 AM »

Could you explain why I can't seem to find this thread?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Margaret S.

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 07:27:08 AM »

Nope, I won't.

Dear David

I guess we are both drunks and nuts together then. I believe God answers prayer. If He didn’t there would be no point in petitionary prayer at all and little enough in any other kind of prayer - prayer is how we get to know God and you can’t know someone who doesn’t talk. Yes God talks and not only that but your heart has ears.

Taking time to reveal itself is, to me, one of the guardians against an ‘answer’ actually being our own thoughts. We tend to want instant gratification so a fast answer is more suspicious than a slow one. Another more important way of discerning whether or not something really is an answer from God is the guidance of a spiritual father or mother which is why it’s important to have one you can be completely honest with. It’s also how we learn obedience. We can have a terrific answer to prayer that just happens to fit in with everything we like and want and it’s soooo wonderful and then we go to our spiritual father and he says “wait six months” and every fibre of the body reacts against it but if you can wait out those six months then you usually do have your answer.

I agree with everyone else - don’t let an experience on a message board put you off Orthodoxy. Remember the enemy is always prowling about seeking whom he might devour - and an awful lot of devouring goes on online. Last night I logged in here and found people on another thread discussing me by name, discussing my vocation and speculating on whether or not my future superior is authorised to bless a novice and throwing in a few red herrings as well. I was nearly sick and I wanted to cry BUT I’m not about to abandon it because of internet nonsense because even though it was distressing I know it’s nonsense. Please take heart and start looking at real, living Orthodoxy in a local church or two before you discount it.

In Christ’s love,
Margaret

[edited for clarity and spelling]
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:36:33 AM by Margaret S. » Logged
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 07:42:55 AM »

Good morning, David!

Ack, I agree with Aposphet - please please please take any and all forums with a very wary grain of salt. The internet does something to peeps' brains and social skills.  I still haven't figured it out, yet. . .seems like people become cartoons and can come back from any damage on the internet as far as most seem to believe. 

The Orthodox Church DOES hold that God can and does speak to one back.  BUT they have very important guidelines on how to MAKE SURE this is God and not our own imagination or something much more sinister.  It is not like the protestant church - that believes that all communication we are aware of in that still small voice is God.  This was a hard pill for me to swallow - but it's a good pill, full of good antibiotic.  Discernment is taken as not just a gift of the Holy Spirit, but also our responsibility.  There is the Holy Spirit's stop and gift of awareness of something evil and then there is the wisdom we learn by becoming humble.  That humility protects us. 

I was afraid that if I didn't listen and prophesy when I received something that I'd be the one found guilty and condemned.  What I'm learning is that God will not hold me in the negative if I tell Him that I'm not worthy (and mean it).  And if I push the 'still small voice' away and ignore it for the sake of not being able to tell if it's my imagination (because I so NEED to hear from Him - as we all do) or His true voice - (and I need this because that still small voice has gotten me into trouble - because it was my own wishful thinking) then if it is truly HIM . . .He will show me with out a shadow of a doubt that His word is true in my heart and make it so that I CANNOT ignore it. 

THIS is what the Orthodox Church, in her wisdom,  wants to see. . .that the assumption that it is our own wishful thinking . . .but the openess to God that if it IS Him, and He makes it so apparent it cannot be ignored, THEN action taken on it. . .for the safety of the flock, ourselves, and those we love.

This also guards against pride - such a deadly thing.  "Who made ME PROPHET??!"  Yes, as St. Paul exonerates, I seek prophecy above all gifts. . .but I'm finding that the Holy Spirit is incredibly humble.  He often encourages, upholds, does His stuff in a way that doesn't bring attention. . .it fits so solidly and smoothly into the normal events of life that no one really knows.  What a gift to learn this! Because I fell horribly due to pride because of my 'walk'.  God doesn't give you more than you can handle. . .and if it's attention getting. . .trust me. . .I know I can't handle it. . .I know few truly can. . . Moses, maybe.  We're just not that strong this early in a true Christian walk.  The elders who have been humbled over and over and over again are usually strong enough . . . and even then, they handle His true voice with fear and trembling. 

So. . .please understand. . . that still small voice is definitely believed in. . .but a way of honest discernment is offered. . . and it is truly helpful.  It was a jolt for me, at first, but I'm learning that His still small voice is actually stiller and smaller than what my understanding was. . .and it is truly different and so so beautiful from what I originally believed. . .and in that I can truly see that it was MY wishful thinking to hear that other voice in answer to my prayers. . .that other voice is so dangerous to our walks. 

I hope this helps!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 12:50:11 PM »

God most certainly does answer prayer. When I was dithering around about converting to Orthodoxy, He answered me most clearly and emphatically. Believe me, there was no room for doubt!

With that said, I think that we should always receive these "messages" with a healthy bit of skepticism, knowing full well how we can be fooled by our own minds and hearts. Sometimes we want something so badly that we think God must agree with us! But we should always carefully examine ourselves and our motives - His ways are not our ways, and more often than not, His will is not ours either.  Wink

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 01:04:29 PM »

Not to be too harsh, so please know that I'm being sincere, but if you really still consider the Orthodox Church a "denomination" and not the Church Herself, then you're probably not ready to join. Also, if a few people being critical of your publicly broadcasted private experiences is enough to knock you off the course to Truth, you should probably examine yourself more closely.

Grace and peace be with you.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 01:05:07 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
David 2007

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 06:21:08 PM »

Not to be too harsh

Sigh.

Undecided

Bye Everyone. I am done. I just can't connect with people like this.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 06:27:50 PM »

Not to be too harsh

Sigh.

Undecided

Seriously? Someone disagrees with you and you run away?
You are going to have (or are already having, perhaps) a very difficult time in life, not connecting with people who don't agree with you on everything.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 06:28:00 PM »

Not to be too harsh

Sigh.

Undecided

Best of luck to you!
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 06:45:12 PM »

Not to be too harsh

Sigh.

Undecided

God Bless.

Though, I respect everything I've ever heard from Alveus, and I think any perceived harshness is just wise and honest.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
UniversalistGuy

Faith: Inquirer

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 07:27:09 PM »

Not to be too harsh

Sigh.

Undecided

Sure you can.  I’d like to ask you to consider coming back to this thread and make a big effort to respond courteously and positively to the post so that you can continue with your inquiry.  Please don't quit.  I feel sure everybody wants to help.  I encourage you to give the benefit of the doubt and try to pick up where you left off.
Golgotha

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »

Yes God answers prayers! God is active not passive. His energies radiate throughout.  He has answered my prayers and then some. How do I know this? Faith. It comes down to faith. I don't understand how but I trust he does. Besides who wants a simple man's limited explanation of the spectacular. Prayer in itself is transcendent so don't expect worldly results.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: