OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 04:51:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rarest Incense  (Read 3213 times) Average Rating: 0
JimmyCoke

« on: February 15, 2011, 07:11:36 PM »

Does anyone know what the rarest church incense available might be and where to obtain it?  Thanks!
IssacTheSyrian

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Archdiocese

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 07:57:11 PM »

Does anyone know what the rarest church incense available might be and where to obtain it?  Thanks!

The rarest incense is in the fragrance of the Holy Spirit Wink Ask God to grant you it angel
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 07:57:58 PM by IssacTheSyrian » Logged

"To be detached from matter is prior to being bound to God."

St Issac The Syrian
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 09:47:35 PM »

Some incense is rare in that the ingredients are hard to obtain.  The closest I can think of are some of these: http://www.thehtm.org/catalog/index.php?cPath=38_111&osCsid=1ea13ceaa076d70e5fd350998c90d4c5
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 10:36:04 PM »

How Is It ,that the Holy Orthodox Church can create it's own Incense ....Shouldn't Frankincense only be used ..Because What The Christ child recieved as a gift On his Birth from one of the wisemen ,And what the Old testement mentions Frankincense...... Huh

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 10:42:02 PM »

And this one is even more expensive:

http://www.thehtm.org/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=38_111&products_id=621&osCsid=1ea13ceaa076d70e5fd350998c90d4c5
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 10:44:13 PM »

How Is It ,that the Holy Orthodox Church can create it's own Incense ....Shouldn't Frankincense only be used ..Because What The Christ child recieved as a gift On his Birth from one of the wisemen ,And what the Old testement mentions Frankincense...... Huh

I believe Frankincense is the base of most incense sold.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 10:48:40 PM »

Frankincense is in fact what the Church uses all the time. Frankincense is the resin of the Boswellia Sacra which forms the basis of all incense used in the Eastern Orthodox Church. It's name in Greek is "Libanon", which is where the country of Lebanon gets it's name (since it was a great producer of frankincense).

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
JimmyCoke

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 01:02:37 AM »

Thanks for the replies thus far.  I was looking to obtain some incense as a gift and wanted the "good stuff".
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 01:18:32 AM »

Cal-Hellas has excellent incense:

http://www.cal-hellas.com/index.html

The website is new and not really functional.  You may want to call the guy who runs it and ask for a price list. 

The gold musk incense has a very rich and beautiful scent, although it makes a lot of smoke. 

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 01:35:25 AM »

By the way, Jimmy, welcome to the forum.   Smiley

FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 03:13:58 AM »

Does anyone know what the rarest church incense available might be and where to obtain it?  Thanks!

I buy directly from the Ethiopian importer.  Here are the grades:

Boswellia frereana Maydi (Myrrh Gum- finest)
Grade 1 - Mushaad
Grade 2 - Mujaarwal
Grade 3 - Fas-Kabir
Grade 4 - Fas-Saqir
Grade 5 - Fas-Shooar
Grade 6 - Jimanjim
Grade 7 - Fooh

Olibanum. Beyo (Frankincense Gum - lesser grades)

Grade 1 - Fasass (white)
Grade 2 - Casaan (red)
Grade 3 - Shooto (mix of light and dark colored
Grade 4 - Fooh (garbling, dust, bark and leaves)

I grind together Maydi and Beyo with a little water, then set in cornstarch until it dries.  It makea a great, long-lasting natural incense with little bitterness at the end like you get from the cheap stuff.

It ends up being about $13/lbs. for the blend I make.

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 11:57:09 AM »

Wow, that sounds like some good stuff, Father Giryus!
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 11:58:05 AM »

The website is new and not really functional.  You may want to call the guy who runs it and ask for a price list. 

The gold musk incense has a very rich and beautiful scent, although it makes a lot of smoke. 

Alot of smoke is a good thing, is it not?
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 12:06:36 PM »

Alot of smoke is a good thing, is it not?

I thought so. It's one of the most important things for me!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 12:06:49 PM »

It is.

The problem I have with Maydi is that it smells absolutely heavenly, but it comes in brittle rocks that turn to powder.  My altar servers are so programmed for dealing with pellets that they can't seem to use the dust, so I make pellets with the blend so they can use it.  Beyo (the lesser grade has 'tears' but the higher grade looks like amber glass) can be ground in a coffee grinder and used as a binding agent.

The difference with Maydi is that it never gets acrid at the end like many incense blends do, even the 'tears' you can typically get at the church supply shop.  But, it does burn quickly.  Blending it seems to slow down the burn time without getting bitter at the end.

Wow, that sounds like some good stuff, Father Giryus!

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 01:21:35 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I buy directly from the Ethiopian importer.  Here are the grades:

Boswellia frereana Maydi (Myrrh Gum- finest)
Grade 1 - Mushaad
Grade 2 - Mujaarwal
Grade 3 - Fas-Kabir
Grade 4 - Fas-Saqir
Grade 5 - Fas-Shooar
Grade 6 - Jimanjim
Grade 7 - Fooh

Olibanum. Beyo (Frankincense Gum - lesser grades)

Grade 1 - Fasass (white)
Grade 2 - Casaan (red)
Grade 3 - Shooto (mix of light and dark colored
Grade 4 - Fooh (garbling, dust, bark and leaves)

I grind together Maydi and Beyo with a little water, then set in cornstarch until it dries.  It makea a great, long-lasting natural incense with little bitterness at the end like you get from the cheap stuff.

It ends up being about $13/lbs. for the blend I make.

Amen Amen!

Go right to the source Smiley

Ethiopia and Somalia are the indigenous origin of both Frankincense and Myrrh trees, and essentially these resins and oils are dried or extracts of the sap/syrup of these trees.  It is interesting the history and interconnection in regards to this, as incense was the center of Liturgical worship across the Levant for thousands of years before Christianity. This brought the Ethiopians into the mix, and it is also part of why the Hellenists thought that the Ethiopians in fact invented ritualized, liturgical prayer.  The Queen of Sheba, who according to Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo tradition, was the Queen of Ethiopia, came to King Solomon precisely because she had heard of his glory from the incense merchants who traded frequently with Jerusalem to supply the Jews with the needed (and in fact legally prescribed by Moses) for their worship. 
Through out its history, Ethiopia has provided this crucial incense, and continues to do so up unto this day, though this should not discredit the Somalis (and also some Kenyans and Eritreans who also produce incense)

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 04:41:23 PM »

When I was a kid, I remember, they still used fir-tree or pine-tree resin.
JimmyCoke

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 08:49:40 PM »

By the way, Jimmy, welcome to the forum.   Smiley

Thanks!  Smiley
seraphimbear

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 11:24:14 AM »

Maybe look at www.orthodoxincense.com - They gather Athonite style incense from the US and the Holy Mountain.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 11:48:06 AM »

Maybe look at www.orthodoxincense.com - They gather Athonite style incense from the US and the Holy Mountain.

I have dealt with these people and recommend them highly.  I recently ordered frankincense from Oman, Somalia and Ethiopia from them.  Also, the Hermitage of the Holy Cross makes some good incense.  I have used both their Somalian and Ethiopian incense.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
seraphimbear

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 11:53:17 AM »

Thank you!  Yes, we offer incense from the Hermitage of the Holy Cross too.  Our customer service is personal and very efficient.  Subdeacon Seraphim, Orthodox Incense
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 02:16:03 PM »

Probably, Athonian incense is rarest, but I don't really care.
Tags: incense 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: