OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 07:10:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Met With Priest Again Today  (Read 1270 times) Average Rating: 0
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« on: February 15, 2011, 02:08:49 PM »

I met with the priest that I met last weekend again today for quite a while. He is a wonderful, very holy man.

I am now a catechumen.

Thank everyone for their continued encouragement and advice.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 02:23:10 PM »

Many years!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 02:43:57 PM »

Great to hear it, Jim! Many years!

So I take it this priest actually understands that there is a difference between Catholicism and Orthodoxy?  laugh
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:44:11 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 02:57:07 PM »

Great to hear it, Jim! Many years!

So I take it this priest actually understands that there is a difference between Catholicism and Orthodoxy?  laugh

Haha. Yes.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 03:00:42 PM »

Many years!  I'm glad they didn't keep giving you the brush off.  It was second-hand depressing.   Smiley

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 03:06:40 PM »

So glad your persistence is paying off. Glory to God. May the fullness of his truth transform you forever.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 03:11:50 PM »

When I told him what I had experienced prior he sort of laughed and rolled his eyes. I really think it was an issue of relatively untrained priests not really knowing what to say or do.

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 03:18:03 PM »

Welcome to the Catechumenate! Now, wait for the next set of struggles to begin.  Wink

God grant you many years!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 03:47:39 PM »

Is his parish relatively close to you, Jim?
UniversalistGuy

Faith: Inquirer

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 03:52:30 PM »

I met with the priest that I met last weekend again today for quite a while. He is a wonderful, very holy man.

I am now a catechumen.

Thank everyone for their continued encouragement and advice.

I'd like to wish you well.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 05:05:04 PM »

4 blocks!

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 05:10:07 PM »

4 blocks!

Glory to God!  angel
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »

Many years from a neighboring diocese! Smiley

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 06:48:21 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
When I told him what I had experienced prior he sort of laughed and rolled his eyes. I really think it was an issue of relatively untrained priests not really knowing what to say or do.

Maybe God just wanted to send you to this particular priest, sort of like the Goldilocks principle?  I would like to think that God had better plans for you to have a particular relationship with a particular priest in a particular parish rather then just assume that simply because this one priest God sent you is facilitating whereas the others did not means the other priests before were inept or even evil or heretical as others have here naively claimed.  Further, I don't like the condescending attitudes expressed against these priests by others on this forum, it was highly chauvinistic and unfriendly to both our Russian Orthodox and our many Roman Catholic brothers and sisters here.

God is at the helm and He sends us all we need and to wherever and whenever we need to be, in His Will, and not of our own, so we should not speculate too much on His decisions.  I am glad God sent you where He wanted, but I do not think it is in good taste for us to claim it at the expense of the integrity or legitimacy of the other priests you spoke with before, as they may very well be fine and Apostolic priests in their own communities, its just that clearly God did not intend for them to become your priests.  Just because they didn't work out for you, does not mean we all should speculate on their ineptitude in Orthodoxy, that is a rather pessimistic approach.

Glory be to God that He has brought you to Orthodox and given you a goodly relationship with a priest that He selected for you personally.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Thankful
Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 09:58:03 PM »

What a joyful message to read!  God grant you many years! 

dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 10:02:59 PM »

Many Years!

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Thomas
Archon

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 10:36:52 PM »

Many Years Jim!

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 01:20:47 AM »

Lord have Mercy.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 01:24:58 AM »

Glory to God! Many years Jim! Very happy to read this. Smiley

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 08:11:09 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Maybe God just wanted to send you to this particular priest, sort of like the Goldilocks principle?  I would like to think that God had better plans for you to have a particular relationship with a particular priest in a particular parish rather then just assume that simply because this one priest God sent you is facilitating whereas the others did not means the other priests before were inept or even evil or heretical as others have here naively claimed.  Further, I don't like the condescending attitudes expressed against these priests by others on this forum, it was highly chauvinistic and unfriendly to both our Russian Orthodox and our many Roman Catholic brothers and sisters here.

God is at the helm and He sends us all we need and to wherever and whenever we need to be, in His Will, and not of our own, so we should not speculate too much on His decisions.  I am glad God sent you where He wanted, but I do not think it is in good taste for us to claim it at the expense of the integrity or legitimacy of the other priests you spoke with before, as they may very well be fine and Apostolic priests in their own communities, its just that clearly God did not intend for them to become your priests.  Just because they didn't work out for you, does not mean we all should speculate on their ineptitude in Orthodoxy, that is a rather pessimistic approach.

Glory be to God that He has brought you to Orthodox and given you a goodly relationship with a priest that He selected for you personally.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I think you have some very good points here, and perhaps it is wrong of me to cast off the other priests with such a tone of disrespect. We do not know what God holds in store for us, ever, and I certainly have the feeling that I was supposed to meet this priest at this church. Thank you for the input and the words of temperance.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:12:04 AM by JimCBrooklyn » Logged

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »

I think you have some very good points here, and perhaps it is wrong of me to cast off the other priests with such a tone of disrespect. We do not know what God holds in store for us, ever, and I certainly have the feeling that I was supposed to meet this priest at this church. Thank you for the input and the words of temperance.

No, you are fine Smiley

I just wanted to clarify for some others who shall remain anonymous who had said some rather unflattering things about the other priests you mentioned before, and worst of all, made those damning inferences simply on a handful of words you mentioned about these priests in a paragraph of all of a hundred words! I just thought that it was so silly for people to make such sweeping judgments, against Orthodox priests no less, based of such little and speculative hearsay, and especially so since you yourself didn't even make such inferences, rather the gawkers and gossips added these things out of their own smugness.

Congratulations again!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 01:15:22 PM »

THANKS BE TO GOD!!! ALLELUIA!!

**happy dances**

MANY YEARS, JIM!!

Oh what wonderful beautiful news!!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
militantsparrow
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

militantsparrow
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 11:24:25 PM »

Jim,
I'm happy for you. Please keep us updated.

"Yeah, the sparrow hath found an house..." -Psalm 84:3
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: