OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 04:17:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finished watching PBS' The Mormons documentary...  (Read 500 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: February 15, 2011, 11:09:52 AM »

Sent chills down my spine. I will pray for them that they will open their eyes up one day.

The bit about how the Mormon church opposes any sort of intellectualism (No questions allowed basically) was hilarious. I honestly can't believe in the 21st century people can still be this gullible and this susceptible to brainwashing. Some of the LDS members they had on the doc were saying some jaw dropping stuff in regards to history, intellectuals, scholars, etc. These people are too afraid to look in their past because it would create doubt. Why would you even hold on to a falsehood?

There was an excellent point this woman made about how these Mormons (in particular the leaders) exude this niceness as a cover when internally they are like ravenous wolves. When she was under review for some "disciplinary action", she tried using Joseph Smith's own words as her defense but was overruled by these church state authorities saying she cannot question their judgment. Oh and then when they excommunicated her, they tried to shake her hand after it.

It was very sad hearing how alot of them that get excommunicated or shunned has such a significant damage to the family life, and in fact can't participate in even their own family members deaths or marriages (The same lady said her own brother wouldn't allow her or her sister to participate in a funeral service). Mind-boggling.

You can watch here if you are interested
http://www.pbs.org/mormons/

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 11:18:01 AM »

It was very sad hearing how alot of them that get excommunicated or shunned has such a significant damage to the family life, and in fact can't participate in even their own family members deaths or marriages....
Matthew 10:35-38 (NIV):

For I have come to turn

“‘a man against his father,
   a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
   a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’

“Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me.

Sounds like the Mormons are doing a good job. Wink

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 11:27:41 AM »

LOL I totally forgot that verse.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: