OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 01:00:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WRO "is not ethnic"  (Read 830 times) Average Rating: 0
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« on: September 21, 2014, 05:15:08 PM »

"He could not find disagreement with any doctrine, His only criticism of Orthodoxy was that most churches were too ethnically biased."

Did/does he know about Western Rite parishes? None of them (in the US at least) are ethnically based, as they are composed almost entirely of converts from Catholicism and Anglicanism.
So they're Anglo?

Wink

Not entirely - there's a few number of Hispanic Western Rite parishes, too.
Not sure this cuts to the ethnic chase.

Don't get me wrong, I've got no problem with ethnic missions or the Western Rite, but the whole idea that the WR is less ethnic is kinda funny to me when the purpose for its existence is to provide a home in the Orthodox Church for western people of non-Byzantine cultural and religious backgrounds.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 05:20:15 PM »

Oh, I agree. I was merely adding more spice to your "Anglo" remark.

I don't mind us Western converts asking for an Orthodoxy that expresses our ethnicity instead of having to "convert" to either Hellenism or Slavicism (to coin a new term). But I definitely agree we should not do so by asking for something that's "not ethnic" when what we want is entirely ethnic.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Minnesotan
Elder

Faith: Raised evangelical, inquiring into Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Interested in becoming Antiochian

From the Land of 10,000 Lakes

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 05:28:48 PM »

The thing is, in American parlance, "ethnic" usually means non-Anglo Tongue. Being a WASP is considered "normal" and everything else is, well, exotic. I think it's correct to point out that this is a bad double standard.

But it's not necessarily always about ethnicity. A multi-ethnic Catholic parish (some white, some black, some Hispanic) that had used the traditional Latin mass for years and wanted to become Orthodox might well choose WR just because the liturgy would be more familiar to them.

Yet another, non-ethnicity-related situation would be if someone just felt closer to God in one type of liturgy over another. Remember the old story about the Kievan spies who preferred the Byzantine liturgy to the Roman/German one? The reverse could also be true; there could be some people who for whatever reason just feel more at home spiritually in a Western liturgy (Roman, Celtic, English, what have you) even if they themselves don't have any ethnic ties to it.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 05:33:15 PM by Minnesotan » Logged
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 10:45:38 AM »

The church is best as the Church Local. Partly why there are both Eastern Catholics and Western Rite Orthodox. For example, Ukrainians need not become Italian; Anglo-Americans need not become Russian, even if they adopt the Byzantine Rite. Since Italianness or Russianness ≠ universality.

So sure, WRO parishes are ethnic, like many Episcopal and Lutheran ones are.

LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 10:49:46 AM »

The church is best as the Church Local. Partly why there are both Eastern Catholics and Western Rite Orthodox. For example, Ukrainians need not become Italian; Anglo-Americans need not become Russian, even if they adopt the Byzantine Rite. Since Italianness or Russianness ≠ universality.

So sure, WRO parishes are ethnic, like many Episcopal and Lutheran ones are.

Galatians 3:28, anyone?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 10:50:03 AM by LBK » Logged
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 11:00:28 AM »

The church is of course both universal and local, as Jesus is both God and man.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 11:04:49 AM »

The church is of course both universal and local, as Jesus is both God and man.

Yay!  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 10:37:25 AM »

In the USA, white people tend to be lumped together. (There are some exceptions, of course. E.g. There is sometimes recognition of a Polish ethnicity, an Italian ethnicity, a Jewish ethnicity, etc.)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 10:39:11 AM by Peter J » Logged

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 10:42:44 AM »

I don't have an accent!

I'm not ethnic!

I don't speak any languages!

I would really prefer to have a religion that isn't mired in such worldly things...

Shocked

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »

Thanks, biro.

Peter J, true now but not 70-100+ years ago. I think Italians were roughly considered black and even the Irish, as in Thomas Nast's anti-Catholic cartoons, seen as a different race from the Anglo-Saxons, Germans, and Nordics.

lovesupreme: God made people tribal, loyal to family including extended family such as country and race. The answer is not to let that go too far, turning outsiders away.

lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 10:46:46 AM »

lovesupreme: God made people tribal, loyal to family including extended family such as country and race. The answer is not to let that go too far, turning outsiders away.

See my signature. Smiley

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 11:04:38 AM »

Meh. I say "Dentists, who needs em?"

The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 11:06:27 AM »

See my signature. Smiley

Actually I did pick up on that. Everybody is ethnic, has an accent, and speaks a language, such as you're writing in! For example, the Episcopal Church is extremely ethnic. It's English!

lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 11:08:31 AM »

Of course. And I personally prefer groups that are strongly devoted to their ethnic heritage. Provided they are inclusive and not supremacists, of course.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 11:08:41 AM by lovesupreme » Logged

The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 11:14:58 AM »

Right. For the Orthodox and Greek Catholics, de-ethnicizinig parishes would be suicidal.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 11:35:16 AM »

lovesupreme: God made people tribal, loyal to family including extended family such as country and race.

A legitimate opinion perhaps but not anyhow self-evidently biblical or historical. I see no need to have any loyalty to my county or "race".

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 11:57:24 AM »

"He could not find disagreement with any doctrine, His only criticism of Orthodoxy was that most churches were too ethnically biased."

Did/does he know about Western Rite parishes? None of them (in the US at least) are ethnically based, as they are composed almost entirely of converts from Catholicism and Anglicanism.
So they're Anglo?

Wink

Don't get me wrong, I've got no problem with ethnic missions or the Western Rite, but the whole idea that the WR is less ethnic is kinda funny to me when the purpose for its existence is to provide a home in the Orthodox Church for western people of non-Byzantine cultural and religious backgrounds.
They are, after all, in the West.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, you lack the proper φρόνημα

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 01:07:03 PM »

Without a high church Christian background, it's going to seem as alien to you as the Byzantine rite.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 01:18:48 PM »

I visited a few churches as a non-Christian and the Greek Church felt the most at home to me.

Being exposed to another middle Eastern religion helped, I suppose. Meanwhile, American protestantism continues to elude me...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 01:19:25 PM by lovesupreme » Logged

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 01:19:31 PM »

Without a high church Christian background, it's going to seem as alien to you as the Byzantine rite.

Not necessarily. Coming from a Pentecostal background both Lutheran and Catholic masses seemed a lot more familiar and felt more like home than Orthodox liturgy seemed like.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 01:31:54 PM »

Right. For the Orthodox and Greek Catholics, de-ethnicizinig parishes would be suicidal.

I never get tired of going down this road. (:roll eyes to show sarcasm: )

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 07:04:08 PM »

See my signature. Smiley

Actually I did pick up on that. Everybody is ethnic, has an accent, and speaks a language, such as you're writing in! For example, the Episcopal Church is extremely ethnic. It's English!

No wonder they like me so much when I attend choral Evensong! I'm English, and have an English accent. Granted, all Episcopalians are are more left-wing-than-usual Anglicans. 

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2014, 07:12:46 PM »

It's true. Americans are enamored with English accents, especially on men (even the American men).

The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2014, 07:50:05 PM »

I'm part Spanish but of course have a good deal of English heritage from centuries ago; my dad married an Episcopalian so there you go. Made the pilgrimage: lived in the mother country. Many of the accents are wonderful. My English still sounds mid-Atlantic: think an American radio announcer during World War II, not a pretentious person. One pronunciation the English actually taught me: the yod. For example, news is nyooz.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2014, 08:40:33 PM »

Not really.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2014, 09:06:36 PM »

I'm part Spanish but of course have a good deal of English heritage from centuries ago; my dad married an Episcopalian so there you go. Made the pilgrimage: lived in the mother country. Many of the accents are wonderful. My English still sounds mid-Atlantic: think an American radio announcer during World War II, not a pretentious person. One pronunciation the English actually taught me: the yod. For example, news is nyooz.

Mid-Atlantic, hmm? Are you still non-rhotic, and do you have the cart-cot-caught distinction, as well as the Mary-Merry-Marry distinction?

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2014, 09:20:13 PM »

Rhotic; cart, cot, and caught all sound different; and Mary and merry sound alike (my origins) but marry sounds different.

WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2014, 09:48:30 PM »

So they're Anglo?

Wink

What do you mean not ethnic? Its just as Catholic or Orthodox as most Western Liturgies pertaining to the Churches in the West.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 09:49:19 PM by WPM » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: