Author Topic: Pictures of Western Icons?  (Read 339 times)

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox....kind of
  • Jurisdiction: Not even a Catechumen, but OCA
Pictures of Western Icons?
« on: September 16, 2017, 11:02:37 AM »
Let's start another thread which hopefully is more successful than my previous thread here.

Anybody got pictures of Western iconography that would (debateably) be appropriate for veneration or contemplation? Especially pre-schism, but I'm thinking in terms of time period, pre-schism to like the 13th century.

I'll start it off with an icon of the Theotokos, called the "Salus Populi Romani" (Latin for "Salvation of the Roman People" or "Salvation of the Roman Nation"). It is, at the time of this post, what my profile picture is.

It was a Byzantine icon given as a gift to Saint Gregory the Dialogist (Pope Saint Gregory the Great), and is still a heavily venerated Roman Catholic icon.

Pope Pius XII added crowns to the icon (imo a bad decision), but they've since then been removed I believe and the icon has been a project of a restoration
It is currently located in Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 11:12:47 AM by LivenotoneviL »

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Elder
Re: Pictures of Western Icons?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 11:16:39 AM »
Also, a couple of mosaics from the artist of the cathedral (although it is post schism)

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 11:27:03 AM by LivenotoneviL »

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Elder
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 11:22:30 AM »
Santa Pudenziana, a 4th century church in Rome - its nave:

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 12:05:32 PM »
Not quite an icon but

Lombard artist, Diptych in ivory

Possibly intended to bind an illuminated manuscript, of which it would constitute the front and the rear plate respectively, the two plates were commissioned by the abbot Odelricus of the Benedictine abbey of St. Flavian in Rambona, Macerata, in the Marche region. The abbey was erected around 898 by the empress Ageltrude, widow of Guy, Duke of Spoleto, who bore the title of king of Italy and dall'889 to dall'891 emperor until his death (894). The left valve bears a schematic Crucifixion between the Virgin and St. John – with the Sun and the Moon at the top and below, the She-wolf with the twins – occupies three-quarters of the surface; in the right valve, there is a figurative strip in which Virgin in Maestà is depicted, above a second one with the dedicatory saints. The complex iconography of the reliefs, a hardened linearity tending towards abstraction, seems to allude to Christ's triumph over pagan Rome and the new Christian empire of Ageltrude.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Elder
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 12:38:32 PM »

Possibly intended to bind an illuminated manuscript, of which it would constitute the front and the rear plate respectively, the two plates were commissioned by the abbot Odelricus of the Benedictine abbey of St. Flavian in Rambona, Macerata, in the Marche region. The abbey was erected around 898 by the empress Ageltrude, widow of Guy, Duke of Spoleto, who bore the title of king of Italy and dall'889 to dall'891 emperor until his death (894). The left valve bears a schematic Crucifixion between the Virgin and St. John – with the Sun and the Moon at the top and below, the She-wolf with the twins – occupies three-quarters of the surface; in the right valve, there is a figurative strip in which Virgin in Maestà is depicted, above a second one with the dedicatory saints. The complex iconography of the reliefs, a hardened linearity tending towards abstraction, seems to allude to Christ's triumph over pagan Rome and the new Christian empire of Ageltrude.

I liked the symbolism of the triumph of Christ over paganism :)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 10:17:03 AM »
The most venerated icons by Polish Catholics and Orthodox:

Częstochowska:

Ostrobramska
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 10:20:28 AM »
Everything by Duccio:

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Elder
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 03:24:57 PM »

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Elder
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 03:32:57 PM »
Maybe I should've not necessarily said "icons for veneration," I meant to start a thread about Western artwork which would be appropriate for Orthodox Churches - that is, Western Rite Churches.

Regardless, here's some Romanesque paintings:

« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 03:33:37 PM by LivenotoneviL »

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Elder
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 04:36:14 PM »
Maybe I should've not necessarily said "icons for veneration," I meant to start a thread about Western artwork which would be appropriate for Orthodox Churches - that is, Western Rite Churches.

Regardless, here's some Romanesque paintings:

I think that if Ethiopian and Coptic iconography are appropriate for veneration, then this should be too.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Elder
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 04:45:09 PM »
Santa Trinita Maesta by Cimabue.

It was painted for the Santa Trinita church in Florence around 1290 - 1300.

The bottom figures are Jeremiah, Abraham, David, and Isaiah.

Online The young fogey

• Archon
  • Milhouse van Houten in a Raymond Chandler novel
    • A conservative blog for peace
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Roman Rite
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 05:04:46 PM »
Western artwork which would be appropriate for Orthodox Churches - that is, Western Rite Churches.

Cool.

I would say ideally this is a kind of Catholic spirituality; the Orthodox being consistent would say this truly Western stuff fits their ethos, neither imitating us post-schism nor, more pervasive, imitating the majority rite in Orthodoxy.
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Sharbel

• Elder
  • Faith: Maronite Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 08:25:01 PM »
I would say ideally this is a kind of Catholic spirituality; the Orthodox being consistent would say this truly Western stuff fits their ethos, neither imitating us post-schism nor, more pervasive, imitating the majority rite in Orthodoxy.
Still, it's pre Renaissance, when Western iconography became blatantly compositional, which methinks is at the root of the criticism by the Orthodox.
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ!

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Elder
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 07:18:27 PM »
Can't forget this one (which is just as famous in Eastern Orthodoxy; this was the best version I could find).

Our Lady of Perpetual Help / Theotokos of the Passion

Edited to reduce image size.  Mor Ephrem, section moderator.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 09:02:44 PM by Mor Ephrem »