Author Topic: Do Western Rite Orthodox Churches Westernize the style of Orthodox holidays?  (Read 135 times)

Offline TaiKamiya720

• Favorite link: Relevant Magazine
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian(Catechumen)
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
For example, do Western Rite Orthodox Churches that follow the Old Calendar celebrate Western Christmas traditions on January 7, like singing traditional Western Christmas songs, like "Hark the Herald Angels Sing". Is there any Western Rite Orthodox Christian that celebrates Chessefare week in the style of Mardi Gras. I wonder if there is any Western Rite Orthodox Church that Westernizes the style of important dates of the Orthodox Calendar because Greeks and Russians respectively have their own different customs for a certain day.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
I've seem texts of Christmas Spanish carols (e.g Los peces en el rio) used be Eastern rite Orthodox Mexicans.
Well, I think that Western elements are present also among EOs.
It applies for Polish carols used in the Polish Orthodox Church, we also bless candles on the 2nd of February (well, I knwo that this custom is present not only among Latins, but also in the Syriac Orthodox Church, however in our case it's something from the Western world). I've heard some Polish Orthodox on the Epiphany feast have blessed not only water, but also the chalk to write a cross on the doors. And so on.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline Keble

• All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
  • Protokentarchos
For example, do Western Rite Orthodox Churches that follow the Old Calendar celebrate Western Christmas traditions on January 7, like singing traditional Western Christmas songs, like "Hark the Herald Angels Sing". Is there any Western Rite Orthodox Christian that celebrates Chessefare week in the style of Mardi Gras. I wonder if there is any Western Rite Orthodox Church that Westernizes the style of important dates of the Orthodox Calendar because Greeks and Russians respectively have their own different customs for a certain day.

As far as church music is concerned I would expect most use the 1940 Episcopal Hymnal.

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Toumarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Presumably Western Rite churches should be following, as much as possible, whatever Latin-rite traditions are traditionally prescribed for a given feast. Importing Byzantine material undermines the whole idea of the Western rite. Of course Byzantinization is a real, pervasive problem in WRO from what I gather.

Regarding carols like "Hark the Herald Angels" (an 18th century Methodist hymn, BTW... not exactly traditional from an Orthodox POV) I imagine they are sung too, though I'm not sure if they would fit in the liturgy proper. Even Eastern rite churches in the US will sing some of these Western carols after the liturgy. 
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Presumably Western Rite churches should be following, as much as possible, whatever Latin-rite traditions are traditionally prescribed for a given feast. Importing Byzantine material undermines the whole idea of the Western rite. Of course Byzantinization is a real, pervasive problem in WRO from what I gather.

Regarding carols like "Hark the Herald Angels" (an 18th century Methodist hymn, BTW... not exactly traditional from an Orthodox POV) I imagine they are sung too, though I'm not sure if they would fit in the liturgy proper. Even Eastern rite churches in the US will sing some of these Western carols after the liturgy.

I don't see a problem with healthy "cultural appropriation" of a sort. Just as long as they retain their distinctives.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”- St. Ambrose of Milan

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." -Fr. Seraphim Rose

"He who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Toumarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
It's not cultural appropriation so much as inferiority complex. The underlying, unspoken assumption is that Byzantinism is the default Orthodox cultural expression and superior to anything else. This is manifested most officially in the unnecessary insertion of the Byzantine epiclesis to the Roman canon.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline Keble

• All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
  • Protokentarchos
Regarding carols like "Hark the Herald Angels" (an 18th century Methodist hymn, BTW... not exactly traditional from an Orthodox POV) I imagine they are sung too, though I'm not sure if they would fit in the liturgy proper.

Technically it isn't a carol, but be that as it may, there would be entrance and recessional hymns, a hymn at the gospel, a hymn or anthem at the offertory, and hymns sung during communion, at least when following the Anglican-derived rite. The Roman version, for arch-trads, would have the same musical elements but would tend to substitute various medieval chants for congregational singing.