OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 06:04:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why isn't Western Rite Orthodoxy thriving?  (Read 37673 times) Average Rating: 0
Ekdikos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Serbia - Diocese of Banja Luka

« Reply #270 on: July 26, 2014, 09:21:02 PM »

Well to be honest, its not that simple. From 381till 1054 there was several schisms between two Capital sees
Since Christianity is not defined by it's "capital see" (at least before Rome took it upon itself to try and redefine Christianity) its pretty much a moot point. Antioch and Alexandria both communed faithful under the Pope of Rome well after 1054.

Well if people dont get that Filioque and Papal Primacy are questions of all questions...
Oh it is, but not everyone believes that. Like Mr. "Orthodoxy is too rigid" above.

You mean when Theodore Balsamon, Patriarch of Antioch, was writting how Latins should be rebaptised, he was in Communion with Pope?
If he refused to commune with the Pope, thats one thing. However, Antioch was still in communion with Rome officially decades after the "schism".

Antioch did not follow Constantinople to Schism
Neither did Constantinople, so again, moot point.

PP

You quoted me when I specifically said 12th century. There was no Communion between Patriarchate of Antioch and Roman Church in 12th or 13th century, when practice of separate chrismation, communion under one form etc arose. Fact that Patriarch of Antioch is rejecting  validity of Roman Catholic baptism tells us something. Wink To be fair, he was inconsistent. On other place he wrote Roman Catholics were to be recieved trough confession. So extreeme Akribia, and ultimate oikonomia  ultimatley go down to same man.

Point abot Capital sees was, Rome and Constantinople were Capitals of Roman Empire.
Aquensis

« Reply #271 on: July 26, 2014, 11:27:32 PM »

I have a fondness for some of the local western rites from Spain and Italy, but whatever the "dominant" one was/is now (Tridentine or some such) I think lacks in something in comparison to those and the Byzantine rite. I think people who want to keep it probably do not even have Orthodoxy in general on their radar.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #272 on: July 27, 2014, 07:11:16 AM »

I think people who want to keep it probably do not even have Orthodoxy in general on their radar
The Tridentine specifically, or a western rite as a whole? No "gotcha" here. honest question.

PP
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:11:34 AM by primuspilus » Logged

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #273 on: July 27, 2014, 08:25:34 AM »

I have a fondness for some of the local western rites from Spain and Italy, but whatever the "dominant" one was/is now (Tridentine or some such) I think lacks in something in comparison to those and the Byzantine rite. I think people who want to keep it probably do not even have Orthodoxy in general on their radar.

Not trying to put you on the spot, Aquensis, but when you (or others) say this, I have to ask: are you very familiar with Orthodox criticism of Eastern Catholicism (and, in particular, Latinization)?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Tags: Western Rite 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: