Author Topic: Non-Gregorian chant and liturgical revival  (Read 440 times)

Offline Rhinosaur

• Homo Vivius
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Non-Gregorian chant and liturgical revival
« on: April 28, 2016, 04:19:42 AM »
I noticed there were thread on Ambrosian and Mozarabic liturgy and music, and I was wondering if you all thought that Western Rite Orthodoxy could be a good vessel to bring back other traditions, such as Beneventan chant and Old Roman chant.  I do know that the Gallican Rite has been very influential on the Western Rite.

Offline Caelestinus

Re: Non-Gregorian chant and liturgical revival
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 06:26:20 AM »
I noticed there were thread on Ambrosian and Mozarabic liturgy and music, and I was wondering if you all thought that Western Rite Orthodoxy could be a good vessel to bring back other traditions, such as Beneventan chant and Old Roman chant.  I do know that the Gallican Rite has been very influential on the Western Rite.

I would appreciate if there would be an WR community out there singing the propers of the Mass and Office according to Old Roman style, but as far as I know most of them don't even sing the Gregorian melodies in Latin, so how should THIS work, when there is no interest or capacity?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 06:27:30 AM by Caelestinus »

Offline wgw

• Protokentarchos
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Re: Non-Gregorian chant and liturgical revival
« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:31:13 AM »

I would appreciate if there would be an WR community out there singing the propers of the Mass and Office according to Old Roman style, but as far as I know most of them don't even sing the Gregorian melodies in Latin, so how should THIS work, when there is no interest or capacity?

Actually, the WRO have experimented with Ambrosian and Mozarabic material; see Fr. Aidan Keller's recently defunct Occidentalis website: 

https://web.archive.org/web/20131227033713/http://www.allmercifulsavior.com/Liturgy/Liturgics.html

He provided English translations of the basic liturgies of those rites, however, without Latin, one then gets completely stuck, because Ambrosian service books with propers etc. are only found in Latin and the vulgar tongue of contemporary Italy, and Mozarabic service books are in (quite vulgar, but beautiful) Latin, and are rather obscure.   Not as obscure as the service books of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church however.