Author Topic: Western Rite priests and bi-ritual faculties  (Read 170 times)

Offline coptic orthodox boy

• Elder
Western Rite priests and bi-ritual faculties
« on: October 16, 2016, 10:43:02 PM »
Do the Orthodox priests serving in a WRO church generally hold bi-ritual faculties (with regard to the Eastern and Western Rites)?
If an Eastern Rite priest was interested in serving the Western Rite how would he go about obtaining bi-ritual facilities (assuming it's possible)?
Thank you.

Offline scamandrius

• Last of the Romans
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
Re: Western Rite priests and bi-ritual faculties
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 11:02:15 PM »
I really don't think this is an issue.  It's not like wherein the Roman Church, priests have to receive some sort of extraordinary dispensation to be able to serve both rites.  Since most of the WR priests in the Orthodox  jurisdictions that have a WR (only Antioch and ROCOR, though I've heard that ROCOR's WR parishes have been scaled back) are converts from other WRs (mainly Anglicanism, but some from Lutherans and a few from Catholics), most of them are comfortable staying with that.

Offline kijabeboy03

• High Elder
  • "The glory of God is in man fully alive."
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Church of China
Re: Western Rite priests and bi-ritual faculties
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 05:44:07 AM »
Yeah, I don't think the Orthodox Churches with Western Orthodox clergy look at it the way Rome does. I think most active Western Orthodox clergy serve in communities following the Western Rites, but their larger context is Byzantine Rite and I know that due to local pastoral needs some have been sent by their bishops temporarily (or even for a season) to serve in Byzantine Rite communities. In the end it doesn't matter if you're Western or Eastern Orthodox, a priest is a priest regardless of his rite and serves with the blessing of his bishop in the rite of whatever community he's been placed in.
"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~