OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 06:28:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icon of St. Dioscorus and St. Severus together  (Read 2046 times) Average Rating: 0
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« on: February 14, 2011, 04:48:59 PM »

Does anyone know where I can get an icon of these two saints together, much like other icons that include other Church fathers together?

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 05:56:57 PM »

No, I've not seen or commissioned one yet.

But I do have an icon of St Severus..

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 08:27:13 PM »

It would be really nice if they were together.  Our Church hymns sometimes put St. Dioscorus together with St. Severus, and sometimes St. Cyril with Severus (since they're both chanted as "pillars" of the faith).

That's a beautiful icon.  Is there one similar to that style with St. Dioscorus?

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 01:39:50 AM »

I haven't been able to afford another one yet.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 03:43:23 PM »

Here is another icon of St. Severious

NULL
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 10:50:05 PM »

Here is another icon of St. Severious

Who is he between?  Which century is this icon?

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 11:43:40 AM »

I'm almost sure I've seen an icon of Sts Disocorus & Severus together before, just can't recall where.

Here is another icon of St. Severus

On Wednesday February 16, 2011: Amshir 9, we commemorated his departure:

Coptic Synaxarium

The Departure of St. Severus, Patriarch of Antioch

On this day of the year 538 A.D., the holy father St. Severus, Patriarch of Antioch, departed. He was from Asia Minor. His grandfather, whose name was also Severus, saw in a vision someone telling him, "The child who is for your son will strengthen Orthodoxy, and his name will be after your name." When his son had this saint, he called him Severus. He was taught the Greek wisdom and church subjects.

Once, the saint was strolling outside the city, a shut-in saint came out of his cave crying, "Welcome to you Severus, teacher of Orthodoxy, and Patriarch of Antioch." Severus marvelled at how he called him by his name, for he did not know him before, and how he foretold what would become of him.

Severus grew in virtue and became a monk in the monastery of St. Romanus. The fame of his righteousness and his ascetic life spread out. When the Patriarch of Antioch departed, the bishops had a consensus to ordain him the Patriarch of the city in the year 512 A.D. The church was illuminated by his teachings which spread to all the universe, and he was one of the fathers who attended the Universal Council at Ephesus.

Shortly after, Emperor Anastasius died and Justinian, who was Chalcedonian in faith, reigned after him. He called upon this holy father and gave him great honors to persuade him to change his stand and to follow the Emperor's belief, but the Saint refused. The Emperor became angry, but the Saint did not fear his anger, and so the Emperor ordered him to be killed. Theodora, the Emperor's wife who was Orthodox in faith, knew about what the Emperor intended to do, so she told the saint to flee from his face.

St. Severus escaped to the land of Egypt and traveled everywhere and visited monasteries disguised as a monk. He strengthened the faith of the believers in the Orthodox doctrine. He dwelt in the city of Sakha in the home of a holy lay leader called Doretheos. God performed through him many miracles. He departed in the city of Sakha, and his body was relocated to the monastery of El-Zugag.

His prayers be with us all. Amen.   

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 11:49:25 AM »

I'm almost sure I've seen an icon of Sts Disocorus & Severus together before, just can't recall where.

Here is another icon of St. Severus

On Wednesday February 16, 2011: Amshir 9, we commemorated his departure:

Coptic Synaxarium

The Departure of St. Severus, Patriarch of Antioch

On this day of the year 538 A.D., the holy father St. Severus, Patriarch of Antioch, departed. He was from Asia Minor. His grandfather, whose name was also Severus, saw in a vision someone telling him, "The child who is for your son will strengthen Orthodoxy, and his name will be after your name." When his son had this saint, he called him Severus. He was taught the Greek wisdom and church subjects.

Once, the saint was strolling outside the city, a shut-in saint came out of his cave crying, "Welcome to you Severus, teacher of Orthodoxy, and Patriarch of Antioch." Severus marvelled at how he called him by his name, for he did not know him before, and how he foretold what would become of him.

Severus grew in virtue and became a monk in the monastery of St. Romanus. The fame of his righteousness and his ascetic life spread out. When the Patriarch of Antioch departed, the bishops had a consensus to ordain him the Patriarch of the city in the year 512 A.D. The church was illuminated by his teachings which spread to all the universe, and he was one of the fathers who attended the Universal Council at Ephesus.

Shortly after, Emperor Anastasius died and Justinian, who was Chalcedonian in faith, reigned after him. He called upon this holy father and gave him great honors to persuade him to change his stand and to follow the Emperor's belief, but the Saint refused. The Emperor became angry, but the Saint did not fear his anger, and so the Emperor ordered him to be killed. Theodora, the Emperor's wife who was Orthodox in faith, knew about what the Emperor intended to do, so she told the saint to flee from his face.

St. Severus escaped to the land of Egypt and traveled everywhere and visited monasteries disguised as a monk. He strengthened the faith of the believers in the Orthodox doctrine. He dwelt in the city of Sakha in the home of a holy lay leader called Doretheos. God performed through him many miracles. He departed in the city of Sakha, and his body was relocated to the monastery of El-Zugag.

His prayers be with us all. Amen.  

Sometime in October, we also commemorate the day when he walked in a Coptic church when he was in hiding, and the Eucharist disappeared before the priest due to the revelation that someone of higher clerical rank is in the building.

When you celebrate a saint more than once in the year, this becomes very special.

And if you actually find this icon, let me know.

There's this other icon I saw online that was entitled to St. Severus, but he's standing next to someone else.  See the attachment.

If the one next to him is St. Dioscorus, does anyone have a fuller and larger image of this one?  And does anybody know where this icon is? (I like the fact that there's pillars around this saint)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:55:57 AM by minasoliman » Logged

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 12:01:40 PM »

A quick google search brought me to this page:

http://st-takla.org/Saints/Coptic-Orthodox-Saints-Biography/Coptic-Saints-Story_1065.html

Its very possible the Saint next to him could be St. Dioscorus or even St. Cyril.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 12:06:14 PM »

Sorry, Mina! Looks like we did the same google search at the same time.

Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 04:00:54 PM »

Another beautiful Icon of St. Severus by Stephane Rene. Here he is vested in the vestments of a Coptic Priest.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:02:45 PM by Severian » Logged

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 04:08:42 PM »

Another beautiful Icon of St. Severus by Stephane Rene. Here he is vested in the vestments of a Coptic Priest.

I'm not sure I like this. I mean, what reason is there for him not to be vested as a Bishop?
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 04:27:17 PM »

^I agree that it is a bit peculiar. However this does not seem to be the first time such a thing has happened. In this Icon of St. Cyril, he is likewise vested as a Priest:

Does anyone have any idea as to why this is the case?

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 11:25:17 AM »

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 11:30:53 AM »

No idea. But Coptic priests have awesome headgear if this is what they wear.

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 01:45:33 PM »

No idea. But Coptic priests have awesome headgear if this is what they wear.
Yeah. Smiley

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 11:55:05 PM »

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 05:53:44 PM »

I'm not giving up! Tongue
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 05:53:58 PM by Severian » Logged

Tags: OO icons icon  dioscorus  severus 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: