OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 10:04:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: from charismatic to OCA  (Read 1040 times) Average Rating: 0
the_typist

Jurisdiction: United States of America

« on: February 14, 2011, 02:53:40 AM »

Long story short: I am 29, come from a charismatic church, my wife comes from a more reserved church and I can't seem to follow any of God's commandments, pray to Him, faith with works, be nice to my mother (I'm not mean, I'm just not a good son) read my Holy Bible etc. I need some spiritual help!

Both of my mothers are the best women you could meet. My mother is such a good woman but I am a bad son and can't seem to get out of her house Cheesy while my mom in law is my second mom, she is such a wonderful woman of God and considers me her 2nd son! I couldn't ask for anything better. To the best of my knowledge my mom, and the rest of my family are not christians. I will even admit that I am not a christian even though I accepted Jesus into my life nearly 10 years ago yadda yadda yadda. I know you've all heard that before. My wife's family are christian and keep following Jesus everyday. My mom in law is a christian radio host in socal while my dad in law was a protestant pastor and he was thinking a lot about converting over to the orthodox church (in fact, it was he who got me interested in the orthodox church.) Last, my brother in law is orthodox and is attending an oca church up near sacramento.

My problem: I can't seem to commit to orthodoxy. I wish I could just swallow a magic pill and become a christian over night but I know that is impossible. So my question is, what should I do? I believe in God but there are so many issues I have with my daily walk that I don't think I can make it. I really need some prayer and guidance. The last church that my wife and I attended was St. Nicholas Orthodox Church in Billings, MT. Great priest, great parish. we feel as though we are finally "home" there. But I just can't commit. It is like Satan and his minions are keeping me from the Lord. Any and all help is very much desired! Thank you all!

Matt

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 09:52:24 AM »

If you love the Church, and recognize you're a horrible sinner...then welcome home.

You said you wished you had a "magic pill." Don't we all! Orthodoxy definitely ISN'T a magic pill. It's a journey. A struggle. We know what the goal is, and yet we all fall short of it. The important thing is to truly strive and struggle. If you aren't struggling, you probably aren't growing spirituality. The Church offers us a community in which to struggle, and most importantly the sacraments that give us forgiveness of sins and union with Christ.

Find a local parish and have a good sit-down with the priest. Tell him what you've said here, and ask him to help you struggle. That's what he does.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
the_typist

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 04:26:15 PM »

Thanks for your help, Benjamin!

I have done and will continue to talk with my Priest.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 05:06:31 PM »

Have you started any sort of prayer rule? I find that my life with vs. my life without is a pretty significant difference.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 05:46:28 PM »

I'm curious Matt, about how long have you been attending services?
the_typist

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 03:33:27 PM »

JimC - I have a short pamphlet titled "Building A Habit of Prayer" by Conciliar Press in which I tried (for about a couple weeks) reading but there is so much reading that I got discouraged. I know that you have to take baby steps in the orthodx church. Maybe I just need spiritual motivation?

Ortho cat - St. Nicholas church is a 2 hours drive from where my wife and I live. We have attended maybe 3 or 4 times? The priest, Fr. John Mancantelli has come down our way several more times and we have attended 2 or 3 times. I feel as though we are members, even though we are not. We also get the weekly bulletins from the church. We have met just about everyone from the church but we don't go up on a regular basis because the roads are usually icy (fall, winter, spring)

We live in northern western Wyoming; the church is in Billings, Montana.
the_typist

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 03:45:44 PM »

I also own "The Orthodox Church" by Ware

"Letters fo Spiritual Children" by Abbot Nikon

"Heaven on Earth the Divine Liturgy" by ?

"The Orthodox Church" magazine by OCA.

We also have a short and helpful book called "Orthodoxy, Catholicism without Additions, Protestantism without Subractions" by Fr. Dan Suciu. All are confusing yet helpful.

We have been to Elevation of the Holy Cross in Sacramento, once. I hope to visit the Monastery of St. John of San Francisco one of these days too.

JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 04:02:52 PM »

I found this link (or was given it by the fine folks on this forum) to morning and evening prayers that are much less overwhelming, from the Antiochian Church:
http://www.antiochian.org/morning-prayers

Also, an Orthodox friend of mine here mentioned that St. Seraphim of Sarov suggested an even simpler prayer rule for non-monastic modern christians:
http://www.stjohndc.org/Russian/fathers/e_Prayer_Sarov.htm

God Bless!
Jim
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:15:40 PM by JimCBrooklyn » Logged

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 04:08:51 PM »

Have you started any sort of prayer rule? I find that my life with vs. my life without is a pretty significant difference.

This is a good suggestion. If I were you (if you haven't already), I would perhaps discuss with your priest next time you get a chance about starting a basic prayer rule and/or starting off with a light fasting regime, perhaps in preparation for lent. It is best to get guidance from a priest and submit to his authority regarding these practices, so we aren't tempted to go off on our own for our own reasons, where the risk of succombing to pride is great.

Also, if you haven't participated in the liturgical cycle of lenten services before (as you are able, of course) i think you will find it of much spiritual benefit.

I think that engaging your spirituality outside of the services by participating in the daily prayers is very important in this case, as you are only able to attend services sporadically due to the distance. Maybe reading the divine liturgy of St. John Chrysostom on the Sundays that you are unable to attend may be useful as well. Remember, we are to be individual priests over our households; setting up an icon corner can help us to carry out these responsibilities. The same is true for the Orthodox spiritual life as it is with the liturgy; we get out of it what we are willing to put into it!

Don't get overwhelmed by reading too many books, it's easy to do!  laugh
the_typist

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 11:37:12 PM »

JimC - Thank you for the two websites. I have already favorited them. I also use www.orthodoxprayer.org but I thought the prayers were too long? Maybe I am not used to the long EO prayers? I suppose I am too used to quick prayers.

Ortho cat - I have been pondering what you said about talking with my priest. I think I will do that. Sometimes I feel as though I am bugging him too much. It's been a more than two months since I've had a good chat wth him. Prayer rule and fasting regime. Baby steps  Wink

Thank you both!

Matt

PeaceSerenity

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 11:46:06 PM »

Make sure you don't bite off more than you can handle with prayer. We all go through up and down periods, and during the ups we think we can all the prayers we can think off as our prayer rule, and then when we get to the down periods we get discouraged quickly. I also struggle with this, and I recommend that you talk to a priest and ask him for help in establishing a rule of prayer. If you don't have the chance, then start easy. Say a few prayers in the morning and at night, and then in a few months add a few more. I know I am nowhere near qualified to help someone establish a prayer rule  Smiley but I hope it helps.

PeaceSerenity
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: