OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 02:21:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting to Russian Orthodox  (Read 1553 times) Average Rating: 0
E

Faith: Catholic

« on: February 13, 2011, 04:10:10 PM »

Hi everyone!

I have a question - how do I convert to Russian Orthodox (when the time comes) and how is it different from Catholicism? I come from a very spiritual family. I wasn't baptized, though attended a protestant school. I attend catholic churches now. Don't take communion, but attend mass. I consider myself very spiritual. St. Jude and St. Anthony are dear saints to me. I do the rosary to Mother Mary. I pray to Christ often. However, the man I love is Russian Orthodox. When we marry, I'd like to perhaps become officially part of this line of belief, so we share it. I welcome any advice from any of you, since I'm unaware on the steps / differences / anything meaningful. Except I know I love Christ and Mother Mary, so that's perhaps a good start Smiley

Thank you ever so much and god bless you!
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 04:22:29 PM »

Begin attending an Orthodox church first. BTW, you don't have to necessarily go to a Russian one, there are a number of churches in communion with the Russian church that believe the same exact thing.

If you're in America this site will help you find a local church.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 04:25:08 PM »

Btw, which Saint Anthony? The two popular Catholic ones you might know, Anthony of Padua and Anthony Mary Claret, are not recognized in the Orthodox church. If you mean Saint Anthony the Great though then  Grin.
Russell

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 07:54:18 PM »

Find an Orthodox church near you. 

My wife is Russian Orthodox so my first visit to an Orthodox Church was a beautiful Russian Orthodox church that is 45 miles away from our house.

We used the same website that Jason.Wike posted and found a nice Orthodox Church that is only 4 miles away from our house.  It is not a Russian Orthodox church but we have some Russians that attend.

I had read a few books about the orthodox church but visiting the actual church and getting a chance to chat with the priest was the most important first step.

Mathe 24:36
E

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 01:38:45 PM »

Jason - thanks for this link. Incredible! I meant St. Anthony of Padua. It's ok if the church doesn't recognize him. I recognize him and he does me! But, I know what you meant.. Smiley

Russell - thanks too for your advice. I've seen pictures. Russian churches can be ornate. He and I will go together.

Will ask if I have more questions. Thank you for the support! God bless you.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: