Author Topic: Pets  (Read 908 times)

Offline Ben

• Unabashedly Pro-Life
  • OC.net guru
Pets
« on: May 08, 2004, 01:03:18 AM »
When I entered the Catholic Church I was taught that only humans have immortal souls, so when Animals die, they're dead....period.

However, to my surprise I have come across Protestants, Catholics, and Orthodox Christians, who really believe that they're pets go to heaven when they die. I have even found Protestant preachers teaching that animals go to heaven on channels like TBN and Daystar.

So what do you all think? Do Animals have immortal souls? Will we find our favorite childhood pet in Heaven?

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
Re:Pets
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 01:29:06 AM »
Animals don't have rational souls (nous) but they do have pysche (spirit) which envigorates them (i.e. life force).  So it would not suprise me if they are up there in heaven with us. :)
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline Bogoliubtsy

• Archon
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 01:32:44 AM »
My cat is going to hell. He's an evil little animal.  :)
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline ExOrienteLux

• Waning: Spoilers
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004, 01:49:20 AM »
Huh. I never thought about it that way, anastasios.  Living the country, we've lost a goodly number of pets in my 20-odd years.  That's reassuring.

And Josh has to change his tone when he's talking with his siblings.  Turns out once again that he doesn't know everything. I'm learning that more and more recently.  Feels good to have the Protestant fall off of me... ;) ;D ;)

--------------------------------
Josh  ;D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2004, 03:03:30 AM by ExOrienteLux »
Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!

Offline Linus7

• Archon
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 08:16:43 AM »
My cat is going to hell. He's an evil little animal.  :)

Guffaw!

I've had some that will be doing hard time in Purgatory, that's for sure!  ;)
The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas