OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 08:28:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Bible?  (Read 1069 times) Average Rating: 0
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« on: February 13, 2011, 01:31:05 PM »

Question, and I've done a bit of sniffing around the search function to not much avail, though there is a lot of stuff out there:

Are there any versions of the Bible that are "officially" Orthodox, in the way that the Douay-Rheims/NJB/NAB are for the RCC, or is there at least an edition that is considered standard, as in the KJV in lots of Protestant traditions. Obviously, there are plenty of other versions used by both Catholics and Protestants, but it occurred to me that I would have no clue which versions would be considered Orthodox, which not, etc...

Help?
Jim

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
Thankful
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 04:51:50 PM »

The two we have are the Orthodox Study Bible (http://orthodoxstudybible.com/) and The Orthodox New Testament, Vol. 1 & 2 (http://www.archangelsbooks.com/products.asp?cat=Orthodox%20New%20Testament). I'm not sure about a strictly Septuagint source.  
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 04:52:22 PM by Thankful » Logged

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 04:52:22 PM »

Jim, are you looking for a devotional or a study Bible type format?  

There posters here that are far more knowledgeable than me, but there is not really an "official" English translation Orthodox Bible.  That said, there are some options that are better than others.  For instance, there is the Orthodox Study Bible: http://www.amazon.com/Orthodox-Study-Bible-Ancient-Christianity/dp/0718003594/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297629016&sr=8-1 which has a NKJV NT and a hybrid of Septuagint and Masoretic text OT.  It is not without controversy, but many Orthodox authorities endorsed the project and its results.  For those that are omniscient in all things Orthodox, the study notes will not be of help (admittedly, some notes are less helpful than others and become a bit redundant).   I've found it helpful, even if I don't particularly care for the translation.

Fr. Thomas Hopko recommends the old Revised Standard Version.  The New Oxford Annotated Bible with the Apocrypha http://www.amazon.com/Annotated-Apocrypha-Standard-Expanded-Hardcover/dp/0195283481/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297629671&sr=1-1, however, is an ecumenical study Bible with sparse commentary, so it won't be as helpful in explaining differences between the RCC, Orthodox, and Protestant thought.

There are also various available versions of the Septuagint and an "Orthodox New Testament" translated from the Greek and produced by Holy Apostles Convent: http://www.amazon.com/Orthodox-New-Testament-Translated-Leatherette/dp/0944359256/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297630027&sr=1-2   This seems to get mixed reviews, but there are some threads on the Orthodox Study Bible, Septuagint versions, and that Orthodox NT.

My apologies if I answered the wrong question. Hopefully others can improve on the information I included.

Edit: I pretty much just echoed yours, Thankful, only 32 seconds later.  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 04:54:43 PM by Cognomen » Logged

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 05:40:04 PM »

NOAB RSV or bust.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 05:46:06 PM »

NOAB RSV or bust.
NOAB RSV??

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 05:53:36 PM »

New Oxford Annotated Bible

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
David 2007

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 08:26:01 PM »

Just a note, I saw that the orthodox study bible is available through kindle.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 06:20:48 AM »

Just kindled it! Thanks.

David 2007

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 07:17:43 AM »

Just kindled it! Thanks.

Awesome! I have an ipad with the Kindle App. I'm loving the kindle app so much. It even syncs to my Android phone. Amazon is the best way to buy ebooks imho.

I'm thinking I might procure a copy as well. Although I have a physical copy.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: