OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 31, 2014, 04:37:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The possible number of Orthodox Puerto Ricans and African Americans in the U.S.  (Read 546 times) Average Rating: 0
J. Maria

Faith: orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: greek

« on: February 12, 2011, 10:57:18 PM »

I am curious.... as a Hispanic Orthodox Christian I wonder how many of us are there? Also, for other Puerto Rican Orthodox Christians - how do you deal with El Dia de Los Reyes and other cultural events and customs that have a root in Western theology. Does anyone know how many African Americans there are in the Orthodox Church (not counting Coptic or Ethiopian)?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 12:50:58 AM »

I am curious.... as a Hispanic Orthodox Christian I wonder how many of us are there? Also, for other Puerto Rican Orthodox Christians - how do you deal with El Dia de Los Reyes and other cultural events and customs that have a root in Western theology. Does anyone know how many African Americans there are in the Orthodox Church (not counting Coptic or Ethiopian)?
I'm afraid I doubt anyone has answers to these number questions.

As for things like El Dia de los Reyes, it is not like it is against Orthodoxy, just confused on the date (on the Constantinople Calendar, it would be Dec. 25 IIRC.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 12:56:03 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 08:13:56 PM »

I found this on Ancient Faith Radio:
http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/podup/illuminedheart/viva_ortodoxia (Viva Ortodoxia!)

Also sometime last year a Native group in South America became Orthodox.

If you need any more information about African Americans just let me know!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 08:14:29 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: