Author Topic: The Papacy: Reading Recommendations  (Read 1385 times)

Offline GregoryLA

• Elder
The Papacy: Reading Recommendations
« on: February 12, 2011, 06:35:28 AM »
Does anyone have any good recommendations on the Papacy?  I'd like book recommendations from both sides.  So far though I've only found academic texts critical of the papacy or pro-papacy books that are non-academic (like Catholic apologetics aimed at the general public). 

I'd like book recommendations that cover the following:
- The development of the papacy.
- An explanation of what the papacy is (such as how the pope is selected, what are his powers, etc.).
- A defense of the papacy. (I figure this might end up being an apologetic work.)

Offline trifon

Re: The Papacy: Reading Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 07:48:54 AM »

Well, for the historical development of the Papacy I would recommend Keepers of the Keys of Heaven: A History of the Papacy by Roger Collins, a professor of Medieval Europe at the University of Edinburgh.  I found it to be fairly objective, in itself a bonus given the nature of the topic.  He doesn't offer a defence of the Papacy, but outlining the history of the Papacy and the Papal States, he does go into some detail as to the workings of the Papacy, though they are tied into his historical argument.  Not a bad read.

Offline trifon

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 11:58:35 AM »

You might also want to check out Absolute Monarchs: A History of the Papacy by English historian John Julius Norwich.  I'll admit that I haven't read this yet, but I do think that Norwich is quite decent as a historian so I'll take a chance and recommend it ;D.  He's also written three volumes on Byzantium, and has a published work devoted to Mount Athos.

Offline akimel

• Fr Aidan
  • High Elder
    • Eclectic Orthodoxy
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 06:09:06 PM »
Robert B. Eno, The Rise of the Papacy (Michael Glazier, 1990).

Offline Veronika

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 05:01:53 AM »
Papal Primacy by Klaus Schatz. Written by a Jesuit(yikes) but actually very scholarly. Despite being written by a Catholic it is almost hard to call it the Catholic perspective, but it is the best account I have read.

Offline ignatius

• Baptacathadox
  • OC.net guru
  • My Son Aidan... :-)
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 02:12:53 PM »
One of my favorites is an Orthodox Source: "You Are Peter: An Orthodox Reflection on the Exercise of Papal Primacy" by Olivier Clement
St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 02:36:26 PM »
This thread seems to be related.  Metropolitan Zizioulas seems to have written about the primacy:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,33785.0/topicseen.html
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Pravoslavbob

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Out for a stroll...
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 03:50:20 PM »
His Broken Body: Understanding and Healing the Schism between the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches by Laurent A. Cleenewerck is definitely worth checking out when it comes to the development of papal claims and differences in Orthodox and Roman Catholic ecclesiology.  Fr. Laurent writes from an Orthodox perspective but IMHO is sometimes irenic to a fault.   Despite the strange plenitude of typos and small grammatical errors and omissions found in the book (anyone care for  an editor?) and an occasional propensity to fall over backwards in a spirit of ecumenical rapprochement, it's an interesting and sometimes fascinating read (though I've only gotten as far as page 225).
Atheists have noetic deficiencies.

Don't believe everything you think.

The more I know, the less I know.   ;)

Offline Pravoslavbob

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Out for a stroll...
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 04:12:36 PM »
The Primacy of Peter by Fr. John Meyendorff et al is a well-known look at the question from an Orthodox perspective.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 04:12:58 PM by Pravoslavbob »
Atheists have noetic deficiencies.

Don't believe everything you think.

The more I know, the less I know.   ;)