OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 01:31:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please don't dismiss  (Read 2457 times) Average Rating: 0
militantsparrow
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

militantsparrow
« on: February 11, 2011, 10:53:53 PM »

I know I'm an off again on again inquirer, but please don't dismiss my intentions because of it. I need prayers now more than ever.

I finally told my RCC priest of my desire to join the Orthodox Church. This is actually a very large step for me. I haven't made the final decision, but I've never felt this sure before. And I have never felt strongly enough to let my RCC priest know.

I've been split between both Churches for two years now. I couldn't figure out whether I was being tempted by the Devil or moved by the Holy Spirit. I know now that the Devil had nothing to do with any of it. And I'm ashamed that I couldn't see it before.

I say all of this for only one reason, prayers.

"Yeah, the sparrow hath found an house..." -Psalm 84:3
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 11:02:57 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 11:07:38 PM »

What was his reaction to it?

"666" speak of the devil...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 11:08:00 PM by Aposphet » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 11:10:21 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
NMHS
Site Supporter

Jurisdiction: UOC

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 11:14:02 PM »

I finally told my RCC priest of my desire to join the Orthodox Church. This is actually a very large step for me. I haven't made the final decision, but I've never felt this sure before. And I have never felt strongly enough to let my RCC priest know.

Lawrence, how did this go for you?  I see myself doing this very soon as well.  It tough being in your these situations. 

Lord have mercy!
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 11:18:17 PM »

Thanks for sharing Lawrence. Do keep that as your Christian name when you are received!

We're all dying to know how everything went, some of us just because we're nosey (i.e. me).
militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 11:24:59 PM »

He is a good man and a good priest. I also consider him a friend. He thanked me for my openness and wants to discuss it further in person. Hopefully we meet soon. I feel a little like a traitor.

lol The 666 thing. is Creepy!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 11:27:44 PM by militantsparrow » Logged

militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 11:33:59 PM »

Lawrence, how did this go for you?  I see myself doing this very soon as well.  It tough being in your these situations. 

Lord have mercy!

Caleb,
I haven't met with him on it yet. It's just been email so far. We're going to meet soon. I will keep you posted. I feel relieved and afraid at the same time. But the relief is well worth it. I've learned (or maybe decided to live out what I learned) to not be afraid of the Holy Spirit. I was too afraid of letting people down or having them think less of me. I decided I would pursue what God wanted (what I think He wants) despite the consequences. Not easy. But I know it was worth it.

militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 11:35:07 PM »

Thanks for sharing Lawrence. Do keep that as your Christian name when you are received!

We're all dying to know how everything went, some of us just because we're nosey (i.e. me).

Thanks.  Smiley

I will keep posting here as things progress.

smithakd
Dcn Andrew Smith

Jurisdiction: Australia

Orthodox Christian Deacon and Author

intro2orthodoxy
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 02:14:35 AM »

May God preserve you as you walk in His way!

Dcn Andrew Smith

Author: Discover the Church: The Whats and Whys of Orthodox Christianity and Footsteps of the Apostles: 110 ways to promote church growth in your Orthodox parish.
IssacTheSyrian

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Archdiocese

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 02:46:34 AM »

I know I'm an off again on again inquirer, but please don't dismiss my intentions because of it. I need prayers now more than ever.

I've been split between both Churches for two years now. I couldn't figure out whether I was being tempted by the Devil or moved by the Holy Spirit. I know now that the Devil had nothing to do with any of it. And I'm ashamed that I couldn't see it before.

I say all of this for only one reason, prayers.

The Catholics have lost the essence of being "a new creature in Christ" (2 Corinthians 2:17), that is Theosis. Read this for more information: http://orthodoxinfo.com/general/theosis.aspx

Preface

"It is very daring for someone to talk about Theosis without first having tasted it. But we have dared what is beyond our power because we have faith in the mercy of our great God and Saviour Jesus Christ.

This is done so as not to hide from our Christian brothers the highest and ultimate purpose of our life; that for which we were created.

This is done so that it will become clear that the only truly Orthodox form of pastoral guidance is that which is intended to lead to Theosis, and is not, as in Western Christianity, aimed at a moral perfection for man which does not depend on God’s Grace.

This is done so that all may desire what is best and struggle for the highest. This is the only thing able to quench the depth of the psyche’s thirst for the Absolute, the Triune God.

This is done so that we will overflow with gratitude towards our Maker and Creator for His great gift to us, Theosis by Grace.

This is done so that we realise the irreplaceability of our Holy Church as the only community of Theosis on earth.

This is done so that the magnificence and truth of our Orthodox Faith should be revealed as the only faith that teaches and provides Theosis to its members.

This is done so that our psyches should be consoled, for regardless of the degree to which they have been poisoned and darkened by sin, they yearn for the light of Christ’s face.

Merciful Lord, in Your boundless love, be pleased to make us worthy to enter the path of Theosis before we leave the present temporal world.

Merciful Lord, in their quest for Theosis, guide those of our Orthodox brethren who do not rejoice because they are unaware of the magnificence of the fact that they are “called to be gods.”

Merciful Lord, also guide the steps of heterodox Christians to become aware of Your Truth, so that they are not left outside Your Bridechamber, deprived of the Grace of Theosis.

Merciful Lord, have mercy on us and on Your world! Amen.
"

The Abbot of the Holy Monastery of St. Gregorios of the Holy Mountain Athos
† Archimandrite George
March 1997
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 02:48:30 AM by IssacTheSyrian » Logged

"To be detached from matter is prior to being bound to God."

St Issac The Syrian
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 06:35:48 AM »

I am happy for you. Take joy in the struggle and persevere!

"Lord have mercy."

Selam

"Don't register. Don't vote.
Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 07:03:55 AM »

Kyrie eleison!

Shiranui117
Formerly known as "Wandering Sheep"

Faith: Orthodox (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: ACROD/OCA

PUDDI PUDDI!

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 08:01:57 AM »

Brave! I can only imagine the guts that took, to come out and finally tell the priest; I'm nowhere near the point of doing that yet.

May the Lord guide you and smile upon you for your faith and courage!
militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 08:59:20 AM »

Brave! I can only imagine the guts that took, to come out and finally tell the priest; I'm nowhere near the point of doing that yet.

May the Lord guide you and smile upon you for your faith and courage!

Thank you. In the end, I didn't have the guts. But I kept praying for the strength. Then the other day I woke up knowing what I had to do and that it would be okay because I knew it was God's will. It was still nerve racking though. Smiley

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 12:30:45 PM »

Glory to God! I knew you'd come around Wink
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 04:01:57 PM »

He is a good man and a good priest. I also consider him a friend. He thanked me for my openness and wants to discuss it further in person. Hopefully we meet soon. I feel a little like a traitor.

lol The 666 thing. is Creepy!

I had a similar discussion with my RC priest in the Fall. It was also quite tough, and I completely identify with feeling like a "traitor". We had a nice conversation, he's also a friend, but I've been so uneasy about it that I've avoided him, and feel awful about it, even though I'm now about 3,000 miles away from him.

The toughest thing of all for me is my dealings with my godfather in the RC church, who is really closest to me of all, and feelings of being a traitor to him. I still haven't really figured out how to deal with this one...

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 06:34:38 PM »

^Well, if he's half as ecumenical as some of these orthodox priests you've spoken with recently, you shouldn't have too much to worry about! Wink
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 06:59:58 PM »

^Well, if he's half as ecumenical as some of these orthodox priests you've spoken with recently, you shouldn't have too much to worry about! Wink
Grin

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »

Lord have mercy!!  There is no betrayal in Truth.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 07:14:37 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 06:00:34 PM »

Lord Have Mercy!

Please do let us know how things are going.

David 

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
Dimitrios-Georgios

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Saints Dimitrios and Georgios

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 06:50:05 PM »

Lord, have mercy!
Κύριε ελέησον!
militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 04:03:50 PM »

Lord Have Mercy!

David 

I'm meeting my RC priest next week. I've already informed him that I am looking for an EO priest to provide with spiritual direction. I'm hoping I'll know what the next step is soon.

katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 04:07:51 PM »

Then the other day I woke up knowing what I had to do and that it would be okay because I knew it was God's will. It was still nerve racking though. Smiley

When I was dithering around about converting to Orthodoxy, I had a similar experience. I prayed for guidance and woke up one morning knowing what I had to do. The moral of this story is: don't pray for guidance if you're not willing to do whatever it takes. When God answers you like this, there's not much wiggle room! Wink

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 12:15:01 AM »

Lord Have Mercy!

David 

I'm meeting my RC priest next week. I've already informed him that I am looking for an EO priest to provide with spiritual direction. I'm hoping I'll know what the next step is soon.
Great you'll be in my prayers

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 11:49:27 AM »

After our old pastor was told our intentions (actually, my wife told his wife, so...), they weren't supportive, per se, but they remained pleasant as we transitioned and a few times asked us how things were, what services were like, etc.

It doesn't always end badly.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 09:27:49 PM »

I wouldn't call it cold feet, but I'm feeling a little empty and anxious and lacking. The past few weeks I've felt in love, but the past two days I feel stale or something. I'm not sure what to call it. I guess it might just be that I'm in a holding pattern right now waiting to find an EO priest and meeting one-on-one with my RCC priest. Good news, I'm going to see Met. Kalistos Ware speak this weekend.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 10:00:52 PM by militantsparrow » Logged

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, 11:22:03 PM »

I wouldn't call it cold feet, but I'm feeling a little empty and anxious and lacking. The past few weeks I've felt in love, but the past two days I feel stale or something. I'm not sure what to call it. I guess it might just be that I'm in a holding pattern right now waiting to find an EO priest and meeting one-on-one with my RCC priest. Good news, I'm going to see Met. Kalistos Ware speak this weekend.

That should be a very enjoyable (and entertaining!) lecture. Remind me, do you have any O-dox parishes nearby?
militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 11:32:06 PM »

That should be a very enjoyable (and entertaining!) lecture. Remind me, do you have any O-dox parishes nearby?

Yes. 16 within 10 miles. I'm very lucky.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2011, 11:33:31 PM »

Glad to hear it. Anyways, keep us posted, i'm eager to hear how your experiences go.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:33:46 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2011, 11:37:01 PM »

Glad to hear it. Anyways, keep us posted, i'm eager to hear how your experiences go.

I will. And thanks to you and everyone for the prayers.

aquaticus

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2011, 12:12:22 AM »

Lord have Mercy!

As one who has already tread this path I know your anxiety. Don't worry, pray and follow this path. In time all will fall in place and the peace you seek will be yours.

In Christ
PeaceSerenity

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2011, 03:12:29 PM »

I think we all go through booms and busts (I like to call them, business cycles Smiley ) in our faith. God gives us strength to do what we need to do but then allows us to feel more alone so that we will learn to follow him even through the rough patches.

Lord have mercy!
NMHS
Site Supporter

Jurisdiction: UOC

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2011, 07:01:10 PM »

don't pray for guidance if you're not willing to do whatever it takes. When God answers you like this, there's not much wiggle room! Wink

That's the truth!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 07:04:08 PM by NMHS » Logged
peteprint
High Elder

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2011, 07:27:17 PM »

You are in my prayers as well.  I converted last Holy Saturday so I will be coming up on one year as an Orthodox Christian soon.  You are making the correct choice.  :-)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: