OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 04:05:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Convert names  (Read 2549 times) Average Rating: 0
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« on: December 07, 2002, 05:40:03 PM »

Just out of curiousity and looking for ideas, what do converts with non-Saint names usually do?  Since I'll be Chrismated under the name of the Patron Saint I choose (or so I understand it anyway) do most people go by this new name in seculat life as well?  Do they even use it amongst their fellow Orthodox - what exactly is the custom?  Obviously I'll go over this with my Priest, but I'd just like to hear a wide range of ideas.  Also if anybody would like to share how they find their Patron Saint (or should I say thier Saint found them?) I'd love to hear it.

Thanks
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2002, 06:20:21 PM »

[Just out of curiousity and looking for ideas, what do converts with non-Saint names usually do?  Since I'll be Chrismated under the name of the Patron Saint I choose (or so I understand it anyway) do most people go by this new name in seculat life as well? ]

One of my convert Godsons name is Kingsley which he hates with a passion.  When it became time for him to be received into Orthodoxy he asked the priest to name him.  The priest chose Basil sinceit kind of tied into the first portion of his secular name.  After he was received, he asked us to call him by his Orthodox name.  So, within the Church he is Basil.  Some people still call him Kingsley on the outside but he asks to be introduced as Basil

You could get with the priest to pick a name if you don't have one in mind.  Look at the Saints names that are on the calander and choose from that.

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Orthodoc
Archon

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2002, 06:37:30 PM »

Baptismal Names

Meeting the Orthodox
Further Q&A on the Orthodox Faith
Fr. John Matusiak

How does one pick a baptismal name when one converts? My daughter, age 12, will be baptised soon, and I will be either baptised or chrismated. Neither of our names "suit."

There is no "universal, standard" way by which a name is selected. In some traditions, for example, it is the custom to name a person after the saint commemorated on his or her date of birth. In other cases names are selected based on devotion to a particular saint. And, of course, there are those who select a name exclusively on personal preference.

It is interesting to note, however, that in the Orthodox Church the naming of a person occurs in a special rite celebrated on the eighth day after birth, thereby separating this action from the celebration of Baptism and Chrismation.

In the case of adult conversions, it would seem that the most meaningful way of selecting a "Christian" name would be to choose the name of a saint whose life one may especially wish to emulate or whose life offered special inspiration on the road to conversion.

Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2002, 09:55:31 PM »

As for my daughter, she asked for the book of The Lives of the Holy Women Martyrs from Holy Apostles Convent Press and she read about the saints that were near her upcoming birthday to choose a patroness.  Her secular name is Raven, but she has decided that she'd like to go buy her Baptismal name of Anastasia, post-Baptism.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2002, 10:09:16 PM »

Many in my parish go by their baptismal(or chrismation) name.  I was born with the first name David and middle name Elias so I had two prophets to choose from.  I chose St. David the Prophet King.  An interesting anecdote is that my priest's son(who is 3 years younger than I) first name is Elias and middle name is David.  Smiley

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Orthodoc
Archon

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2002, 11:58:51 PM »

Derek:

I looked in my book of 'Orthodox Baptismal Names'  and Derek appears.

Derrick (also spelled Derek)  [English] for Theodoric

Under Theodoric -

Theodoric [Old german: "ruler of the people", July 1st]  Abbot of the Mon D'Or near Rheims (533).  Viarations:  Dirk (dutch); Derrick, Derek (English); Dirks (Lett).

Note:   Probably ties into Theodore [Grk: "Gift of God"; May 16]

Orthodoc

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2002, 01:35:23 AM »

Thank you everybody for the replies!

I was very happy to know that my name is related to a Saint's name.  Also it was interesting to hear people do use thier baptismal/chrismational names.  If I do end up taking a name other than Theodoric, my wish would be for that to be my name for everything.  I don't think my family would ever adjust to a new name, but I think most of my friends would.  It is something to pray about and then follow my spiritual Father's guidance.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: