OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 04:42:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Kursk Root Icon Traveling America!  (Read 2188 times) Average Rating: 0
IssacTheSyrian

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Archdiocese

« on: February 10, 2011, 02:04:22 PM »

I just got back from seeing it and venerating it.
It was in Middlebrook VA. http://www.allsaintsofamerica.org/index.html

What an an amazing monument of the wonders of God!

This man is handicapped

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 02:13:40 PM by IssacTheSyrian » Logged

"To be detached from matter is prior to being bound to God."

St Issac The Syrian
IssacTheSyrian

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 02:11:28 PM »

Here it is as it was being placed in its case for travel.

Here it is leaving in its case.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 02:16:48 PM by IssacTheSyrian » Logged

St Issac The Syrian
starosta

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOCUSA

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 02:12:32 PM »

Thanks for sharing these photos!
IssacTheSyrian

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 02:23:59 PM »

Thanks for sharing these photos!

You're welcome. I took them with my pocket Vado HD video camera. To see all pictures I made from the videos go here: http://img841.imageshack.us/g/kurskroot100.jpg/

St Issac The Syrian
android

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GO Archdiocese of America- Southeast US

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 04:12:40 PM »

I will be attending a Vespers liturgy this coming Saturday where the Kursk Root icon will be "in attendance" as it were and available for veneration. This is in Charlotte, NC. Anyone here ever had the privilege of seeing/venerating this icon before, or have any stories of miracles, etc. related to it? I've read the wiki page and some other stuff but was curious what experience anyone here might have had with it?
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 04:17:02 PM »

I will be attending a Vespers liturgy this coming Saturday where the Kursk Root icon will be "in attendance" as it were and available for veneration. This is in Charlotte, NC. Anyone here ever had the privilege of seeing/venerating this icon before, or have any stories of miracles, etc. related to it? I've read the wiki page and some other stuff but was curious what experience anyone here might have had with it?

Get there early, they left an hour before they were supposed to here and many people were disappointed.
IssacTheSyrian

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 04:20:59 PM »

I just got back from seeing and venerating it in Middlebrook VA. See here, http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,33691.0.html

I'm going to upload some of the stories Fr Sergius told us on YouTube.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 04:22:51 PM by IssacTheSyrian » Logged

St Issac The Syrian
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 02:26:41 AM »

I'm afraid to ask this but it is a genuine and serious question: Isn't it wrong to speak of "it's miracles?" Aren't icons windows to heaven or like "portals?" God does them, not the icons.

(Just in case anyone is unsure, I am not attacking or questioning icons themselves but I am fairly certain I have read what I said in some Patristic text or another and just want to be certain)
IssacTheSyrian

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 03:07:19 AM »

I'm afraid to ask this but it is a genuine and serious question: Isn't it wrong to speak of "it's miracles?" Aren't icons windows to heaven or like "portals?" God does them, not the icons.

(Just in case anyone is unsure, I am not attacking or questioning icons themselves but I am fairly certain I have read what I said in some Patristic text or another and just want to be certain)

It is genuine. Do not be afraid before men, but before God...
We know that the Saints and the Theotokos pray for us and that God is the One who ultimately glorifies them and works miracles through them. So yes, it is wrong and a typo to say "Its miracles", that would be as if the very Icon was a God itself which can answer prayers and work miracles. But if we should train our minds not to see the creation but the Creator, then this wouldn't be a problem.

That's the biggest problem ever, according to the Bible. Ever read Romans 1? The world has gone to hell because people look at the creation and 'Divinize' the creation, they do not recognize the Creator who hast made them all (in wisdom).

Thomas Hopko has a great new series, and i've heard him state this over and over again, not just in this series:

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/spiritandtruth/created_to_worship
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 03:11:16 AM by IssacTheSyrian » Logged

St Issac The Syrian
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 03:18:21 AM »

Thomas Hopko has a great new series...

Man, I just cannot keep up with this guy! After a year or more I am almost done listening to all of the "Speaking the Truth in Love" podcast and thought I was all caught up. I haven't even started "The Names of Jesus", and now a third podcast!?!?!
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 03:23:01 AM »

I was blessed to guard this icon when it was in Lake Odessa, MI. I slept right next to it and then traveled with it to Chicago. Truly a blessing!
Orthophoria

Faith: Orthodox - Newly Illumined
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 05:55:04 AM »

The Icon will be at St Nektarios Russian Orthodox Church in Lenoir City, TN., on Feb 14th.  I will be there!  Can't wait!!  Grin
Tags: icons Kursk Root Icon 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: