OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 10:25:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mistakes you made as a catechumen  (Read 2780 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: February 10, 2011, 05:54:20 AM »

My biggest blunder was I was at a prayer service at our Metropolis HQ and there was this nice fellow doing it (I assumed he was a priest) and giving a nice short little sermon. Anyway, I was conversing with a gentlemen when this "priest" came up to our group. He was totally anticipating me to give him a kiss on the hand, but I forgot to. And the friend I made one-upped me by kissing his hand, and kissing both sides of the cheek. I couldn't generate too much of a conversation, I was pretty nervous and shy.

Two months later, I was curious on what the Metropolitan looked like and lo and behold it was him! Couldn't believe it, I screwed up big.

Oh and there was a time when the priest came to greet me, and instead of kissing his hand I nearly ate it...

My grace and elegance needs to be worked on for sure.

Anybody else?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 10:52:45 AM »

It wasn't while a catechumen, but when my husband was being made a reader, he was so nervous that he kept on reading, until His Beatitude Metropolitan Jonah had to forcefully shove him in the back to get him to stop!

(fyi, part of the service involves the Bishop opening the Bible, and pointing to a part to be read (chanted) aloud. When he's ready for you to stop, he taps you on the shoulder.)

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 11:18:08 AM »

everyone makes little blunders as a catechumen, as your just starting out.  I remember that I thought of myself as "in the club" way too soon.  I also found that this is the wrong attitude to take.  the (non Orthodox) religous I was exposed too brought up my conversion in the first tconversation about their faith I had with them.  I was used to a quick, fast paced faith.  Orthodoxy is more gratual with the conversion process.  I'm now an Orthodox Christian, and I love it.  sometimes I miss my old Church, but that passes.   Orthodoxy suprised me in that the priest didn't ask me if I wanted to join up at the first service.  but, as I gratually went back, it began to happen.   I think that most Churches need to be that way.  a true "conversion of heart" cannot happen in one 20 minute conversation. 

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 11:30:24 AM »

We all make mistakes in Church from the first day as a catechumen to an experienced Patriarch. I have seen Bishops, priests, deacons, choir directors, cantors, altar boys ---everybody-- from one time or another make a mistake. I suspect that God doesn't mind as long as you learn from your mistakes!
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 12:07:16 PM »

As of behaviour, mine was probably sitting with legs crossed next to a monk in a monastery church.

But I'm starting to think that my biggest mistake was that I was exploring pretty much only doctrines. I should have tried to acquire Orthodox worldview and piety instead of trying to transform myself as an armchair theologian.

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 05:03:33 PM »

But I'm starting to think that my biggest mistake was that I was exploring pretty much only doctrines. I should have tried to acquire Orthodox worldview and piety instead of trying to transform myself as an armchair theologian.

Ditto. As many of you have seen me post, I came from the Reformed tradition (Presbyterian) and was very satisified with scholastic, systematic theology. When inquiring into Orthodoxy, theology is what concerned me most, and what always occupied my mind. I wrestled with "high theology" for months, and never really got anywhere. It wasn't until I was instructed in a prayer rule and introduced to piety by our parish priest that things really came into focus.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 05:10:26 PM »

Ditto. As many of you have seen me post, I came from the Reformed tradition (Presbyterian) and was very satisified with scholastic, systematic theology. When inquiring into Orthodoxy, theology is what concerned me most, and what always occupied my mind. I wrestled with "high theology" for months, and never really got anywhere. It wasn't until I was instructed in a prayer rule and introduced to piety by our parish priest that things really came into focus.

That sounds like terrific advice.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 05:51:42 PM »

I wrestled with "high theology" for months, and never really got anywhere. It wasn't until I was instructed in a prayer rule and introduced to piety by our parish priest that things really came into focus.

Amen!

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 06:08:42 PM »

Yes, and it was so counter-intuitive to me, coming from that theological background. I would have never done it on my own, and would have eventually given up trying to understand Orthodoxy. When the praxis began, I didn't know what I was doing...or what most of it meant. The prayers were weird, chanting was odd, and candles? The only times we used candles growing up is when the power went out or my Mom decided the house needed refreshing and bought a bunch of aromatic candles.

But, it was the best thing I ever did. I finally stopped thinking about God like He was some abstract concept and began realizing Him as a person. I mean, Protestants talk about having a "personal relationship with Jesus Christ" but what they mean and what theosis means are not the same thing. Then, I just fell in love with the Church, her saints, the Theotokos etc. In practicing Faith, I gained faith, my questions were answered and my doubts faded.

And so, the best advice this former scholastic has is, stop worrying about knowing about it, and just know it. Pray (individually and with the Church in your local parish), fast, read the Scriptures and the Fathers, keep the commandments, abstain from sin. The Holy Spirit will make things clear in time.

Not to say that I'm now some perfect ascetic. Lord, have mercy. I wasn't good at any of those things starting out, and I still continue to fail in them each and every day (not to mention that I'm still just a catechumen!) But, as the monk answered when he was asked about what is done in the monasteries, "We fall down, and we get back up. Then we fall down again, and get back up again."
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 06:10:29 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 06:24:18 PM »

Yes, and it was so counter-intuitive to me, coming from that theological background. I would have never done it on my own, and would have eventually given up trying to understand Orthodoxy. When the praxis began, I didn't know what I was doing...or what most of it meant. The prayers were weird, chanting was odd, and candles? The only times we used candles growing up is when the power went out or my Mom decided the house needed refreshing and bought a bunch of aromatic candles.

But, it was the best thing I ever did. I finally stopped thinking about God like He was some abstract concept and began realizing Him as a person. I mean, Protestants talk about having a "personal relationship with Jesus Christ" but what they mean and what theosis means are not the same thing. Then, I just fell in love with the Church, her saints, the Theotokos etc. In practicing Faith, I gained faith, my questions were answered and my doubts faded.

And so, the best advice this former scholastic has is, stop worrying about knowing about it, and just know it. Pray (individually and with the Church in your local parish), fast, read the Scriptures and the Fathers, keep the commandments, abstain from sin. The Holy Spirit will make things clear in time.

Not to say that I'm now some perfect ascetic. Lord, have mercy. I wasn't good at any of those things starting out, and I still continue to fail in them each and every day (not to mention that I'm still just a catechumen!) But, as the monk answered when he was asked about what is done in the monasteries, "We fall down, and we get back up. Then we fall down again, and get back up again."

The old-timers in many Slavic communities, including my father, would refer to this as having 'duch' ( If you put it Google translator as Slovak, you can hear the approximate pronunciation. I don't have Cyrillic script but the pronunciation would be similar in Ukrainian I think.)  which roughly means 'soul' in the sense of having the spirit within you or even in the sense that African Americans would understand it. This is not a theological or intellectual concept, yet it is not just raw passion or emotion. Tough to exactly define in English but I think that you found it when you realized that you were not getting where you needed to be through scholasticism or 'high theology.'  It was this 'duch' that passed the faith down through the generations without the benefit of higher education or even basic literacy. This is not to say that gaining a better and more complete understanding of Orthodoxy doesn't require "book learnin' " but rather that the theology will become more readily accessible with that understanding of the spirit or 'duch.' I am sure that the Greeks and Arabs have similar terms for the same thing. Good luck!
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 06:29:21 PM »

Too much reading, which led to a theological overload and a subsequent spiritual drain. Diving headlong into such titles as Lossky's "Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church' without a proper spiritual foundation wasn't my brightest idea...  Roll Eyes
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 06:33:09 PM »

This is one of the reasons why I am not a big fan of folks asking a question similar to "What should I read to inquire into Orthodoxy?". Sure, reading is good, but our faith is not just in our heads: it should also be in our heart and our gut.

So, when someone asks me that question, I may steer them towards some reading of something...usually the person him or herself has a list already in their head, and I just affirm it. What I really recommend to them, though, is that they start to attend church services and get to know the parishioners. Only then will the inquirer start to understand the phronema and praxis of Orthodoxy. That will help folks to "flesh out" the theology that they are reading...and while important, the Faith is sooooo much more than theological understandings.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 06:41:10 PM »

Read too much Seraphim Rose (the works he authored, rather than translated), though it was under the instruction of a Priest.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 06:42:01 PM »

Didn't explore my options deeply enough

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Dnarmist

Seems Uncertain

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 06:42:27 PM »

Read too much Seraphim Rose (the works he authored, rather than translated), though it was under the instruction of a Priest.
Do you no longer practice the faith, judging by your Faith status on the left?
smithakd
Dcn Andrew Smith

Jurisdiction: Australia

Orthodox Christian Deacon and Author

intro2orthodoxy
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »

This is one of the reasons why I am not a big fan of folks asking a question similar to "What should I read to inquire into Orthodoxy?". Sure, reading is good, but our faith is not just in our heads: it should also be in our heart and our gut.

So, when someone asks me that question, I may steer them towards some reading of something...usually the person him or herself has a list already in their head, and I just affirm it. What I really recommend to them, though, is that they start to attend church services and get to know the parishioners. Only then will the inquirer start to understand the phronema and praxis of Orthodoxy. That will help folks to "flesh out" the theology that they are reading...and while important, the Faith is sooooo much more than theological understandings.

So true, Fr Chris.  A bit of reading is just a good start.

Perhaps such inquirers should be directed to the Octoechos and such?

I know that the mistakes I made were focused on speed - I was far too assuming in what I was going to do and how I was going to fix things that were wrong.  Would that I tried to fix myself with the same fervour!

Dcn Andrew Smith

Author: Discover the Church: The Whats and Whys of Orthodox Christianity and Footsteps of the Apostles: 110 ways to promote church growth in your Orthodox parish.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 10:33:15 AM »

Well said, sir!

St. John Chrysostom
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 10:36:22 AM »

...but rather that the theology will become more readily accessible with that understanding of the spirit or 'duch.'

Excellent point, this is my experience as well. I too am a "theology geek," but it was a dead end for me. It was in the doing that the understanding came, even if I was just "going through the motions," without any real understanding. And that is counter-intuitive for me also. Not at all the way I function generally!

St. John Chrysostom
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 12:09:46 PM »

I read too little. I think that it was his biography which transformed me from an armchair theologian into a Christian. I haven't read any of those books he authored though.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 12:10:20 PM by Alpo » Logged

smithakd
Dcn Andrew Smith

intro2orthodoxy
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 07:06:32 PM »

I think that it was his biography which transformed me from an armchair theologian into a Christian.

Amazing book.  I read that in a day, it was very inspiring for me.

Dcn Andrew Smith

Author: Discover the Church: The Whats and Whys of Orthodox Christianity and Footsteps of the Apostles: 110 ways to promote church growth in your Orthodox parish.
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 08:28:34 PM »

I talked about it too much.  I also probably talked like an idiot.

edit:  come to think of it, those didn't end with my catechumenate...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 08:29:16 PM by KBN1 » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 08:58:52 PM »

I think that it was his biography which transformed me from an armchair theologian into a Christian.

What book is this?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
myrrhbear

Trust in God

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 09:04:39 PM »

So many blunders I can't think of them all right now.

Grabbing the visiting archbishop's hand and giving it a good shake when I first met him, (my first encounter with anyone Orthodox, not really a catechumen yet) then wondering why he wouldn't shake my hand when I was leaving!

Loudly and confidently when it was my turn, chanting a verse during vespers, that was just previously chanted by someone else!

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know to be true, but really isn't, that gets you into trouble!

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
smithakd
Dcn Andrew Smith

intro2orthodoxy
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 09:39:43 PM »

What book is this?

"Fr Seraphim Rose: His Life and Works", by Hieromonk Damascene.  Published by St Herman of Alaska Brotherhood.

Dcn Andrew Smith

smithakd
Dcn Andrew Smith

intro2orthodoxy
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 09:41:04 PM »

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know to be true, but really isn't, that gets you into trouble!

I think this quote should be enshrined as a mandatory line for catechumens to memorise ^_^

Dcn Andrew Smith

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 11:55:04 PM »

Left the Catechumenate after a number of years.  Now I'm an atheist.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 12:07:47 AM »

I read that in a day, it was very inspiring for me.

Nobody reads a book that is over a thousand pages long in a day.
smithakd
Dcn Andrew Smith

intro2orthodoxy
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 02:02:43 AM »

I read that in a day, it was very inspiring for me.

Nobody reads a book that is over a thousand pages long in a day.

If by 'nobody' you mean 'most people', then that's probably accurate.
If by 'nobody' you mean 'not a single person on earth', then I proved you wrong about six years ago.  The book was just that good.

Dcn Andrew Smith

Dnarmist

Seems Uncertain

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 02:22:11 AM »

Left the Catechumenate after a number of years.  Now I'm an atheist.
Ah I see, I'd be really interested in hearing your story if you were obliged to give it.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 02:49:44 PM »

I talked about it too much.  I also probably talked like an idiot.

edit:  come to think of it, those didn't end with my catechumenate...

I hear ya.... Wink

St. John Chrysostom
myrrhbear

Trust in God

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 05:28:06 PM »

Still talking about it! That's what fora are for! Cheesy

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2011, 08:56:24 PM »

The biggest mistake I made was thinking I knew a damn thing about Orthodoxy, or being a Christian, or prayer.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 08:56:58 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2011, 11:17:12 PM »

Didn't explore my options deeply enough

Yes, I agree, so many Orthodox jurisdictions to choose from...  Wink
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2011, 12:30:09 AM »

My biggest mistake was emphatically telling my (Baptist) husband that he had to convert or we wouldn't be in heaven together!  Roll Eyes  That was 19 years ago and he is even more dead set against Orthodoxy (and as a matter of fact, any organized religion)

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011, 12:44:19 AM »

My biggest mistake was emphatically telling my (Baptist) husband that he had to convert or we wouldn't be in heaven together!  Roll Eyes  That was 19 years ago and he is even more dead set against Orthodoxy (and as a matter of fact, any organized religion)

Ya, that'll set the sparks flyin' for sure!
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2011, 02:05:42 AM »

My biggest blunder was I was at a prayer service at our Metropolis HQ and there was this nice fellow doing it (I assumed he was a priest) and giving a nice short little sermon. Anyway, I was conversing with a gentlemen when this "priest" came up to our group. He was totally anticipating me to give him a kiss on the hand, but I forgot to. And the friend I made one-upped me by kissing his hand, and kissing both sides of the cheek. I couldn't generate too much of a conversation, I was pretty nervous and shy.

Two months later, I was curious on what the Metropolitan looked like and lo and behold it was him! Couldn't believe it, I screwed up big.

I have a hard time understanding what is such a big deal here.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2011, 10:00:24 AM »

The biggest mistake I made was thinking I knew a damn thing about Orthodoxy, or being a Christian, or prayer.

So true, for me also.  Embarrassed

St. John Chrysostom
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: