Author Topic: Icon Fade  (Read 391 times)

Offline StGeorge

• High Elder
  • St. George
Icon Fade
« on: February 10, 2011, 11:05:05 AM »
Several years ago I put a small icon of the Theotokos in my car.  It stayed there all the time for several years.  Over time I began to notice that it had lost its brilliancy of colors and now has a slightly white-washed look.  I'm guessing this is all from the sun. 

I have other icons inside my room, which are exposed, though to a lesser degree, to sunlight coming through my window.  Should I be concerned about these icons fading in color over the years as well?   

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
Re: Icon Fade
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 11:12:32 AM »
Several years ago I put a small icon of the Theotokos in my car.  It stayed there all the time for several years.  Over time I began to notice that it had lost its brilliancy of colors and now has a slightly white-washed look.  I'm guessing this is all from the sun. 

I have other icons inside my room, which are exposed, though to a lesser degree, to sunlight coming through my window.  Should I be concerned about these icons fading in color over the years as well?   

It really depends on the process used to reproduce any particular icon. A painted original icon would likely be less susceptible to fading than a photo or ink-jet related process. Do you have a UV filter-type glass in your windows?  If not, I think there are products you can apply to the glass to cut the UV radiation of you can always use a combination of shades, blinds, shears and/or drapes. Good luck!