OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 06:50:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I am A Christian  (Read 349 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: February 09, 2011, 04:34:46 PM »

Not really a rebuttal to the other thread, maybe it could be taken as such. So why are you a Christian? Here's what I believe

From the most simple outlook, Christianity answers three very important questions, all posed by a guy named Gauguin. These questions are as follows:

"Where do we come from", "What are we", and "where are we going".

The Christian, the Jew, and the Muslim would all answer almost precisely the same way, that "We come from God, our creator. We are human beings made in the image of God, our creator. And when we die, we shall be judged by God, who wants us to spend eternity with Him.

We get three out of three in Christianity. I would be immediately skeptical of any religion which did not sufficiently answer those three questions. This is how I know that Zeus, and the entirety of the Greek pantheon, are probably insufficient as far as possible Gods are concerned: they couldn't give such a comprehensive answer. Zeus, Odin, ect. cannot be the ultimate explanation for all of reality. Most of these gods would get a Gauguin score of zero.

There's that, and I've studied enough philosophy and have read enough theology to know that Christianity is the most reasonable religion around. Additionally, I am waiting, from a purely anecdotal perspective, to see the fruits born of my faith, and I think they will do quite a bit to reassure me about the validity of my belief.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 04:41:46 PM »

1. Because God has spoken to us.
2. Because of the witness of the saints and martyrs.
3. Because I believe that one can prove the existence of one God, who is Good, Perfect, Infinite, Unchanging, etc.
4. Because there is a really good case for the resurrection of Jesus.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 04:44:38 PM »

Christianity makes me feel fulfilled.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 05:33:02 PM »

1) Christ
2) Theosis
3) Hesychasm
4) Philokalia (a love of beauty... and nothing is more beautiful than sanctified humans... aka the saints)
5) What Asteriktos said

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: