OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 02:35:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vatican: Catholics cannot confess via iPhone  (Read 298 times) Average Rating: 0
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« on: February 09, 2011, 03:22:38 PM »

Vatican: Catholics cannot confess via iPhone
VATICAN CITY — Catholics cannot confess via iPhone and technology is not a substitute for being present when admitting sins to a priest, the Vatican spokesman said on Wednesday.

The statement by Father Federico Lombardi follows the launch of an iPhone application aimed at helping Catholics through confession sanctioned by the Catholic Church in the United States.

"One cannot speak in any way of confessing via iPhone," Lombardi said on Wednesday, adding that confession required the presence of the penitent and the priest.

For the rest of the article:  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41491844/ns/technology_and_science-wireless/?gt1=43001

I saw this on the news, this morning, it is meant only as an aid in examine one's conscience.  As an aid, I personally think its a good idea.  I remember being in one Orthodox parish where the priest confessed people via the phone, letters and notes sent into the Altar.  I was once in the position of passing on one of those messages and then taking the "blessing" back to the person and being told by the priest to burn the  note in the censer.  Personally, I had difficulty with that.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: