OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 08:39:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catechumens Handbook?  (Read 1052 times) Average Rating: 0
peacenprayer

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOMT

ting ting ting

« on: February 09, 2011, 03:03:12 PM »

Hello, all!

I was wondering if there is a Handbook for the Catechumen I could look for? Something that had information on why and how on venerating icons, entering the church, addressing clergy, etc. Just a big book of info. An Orthodoxy for Dummies, if you will. I've found a lot of information on the internet but I wouldn't mind a hard copy. Something I can mark, highlight and grab for quick reference.

Thanks for any feedback!

Chanter, Blacksmith, Tailor, Captain of the Guard. ...I made the last one up.
Paisius
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 03:29:29 PM »

Hello, all!

I was wondering if there is a Handbook for the Catechumen I could look for? Something that had information on why and how on venerating icons, entering the church, addressing clergy, etc. Just a big book of info. An Orthodoxy for Dummies, if you will. I've found a lot of information on the internet but I wouldn't mind a hard copy. Something I can mark, highlight and grab for quick reference.

Thanks for any feedback!

As nice as it might be to have it wouldn't necessarily be practical because practices vary greatly from Church to Church and even between local parishes. Take venerating icons for instance. The order in which the icons are venerated, candles for the living and the dead, do you cross yourself twice, three times, make a metania, don't make a metania, make a prostration and on and on......

I suppose the best advice is to just observe how things are done at the parish you attend and do it the way they do. Otherwise if you have more specific questions I'm sure there are people here who will happy to help you.  Smiley
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 03:42:41 PM »

Hello, all!

Thanks for any feedback!

Let's see, in the US the Episcopal Assembly of Orthodox Bishops has at least ten jurisdictions represented and there are a number of other jurisdictions that are not part of that group.....there would have to be a whole of editions of that work at this time. Maybe in the future, but for now following Paisius' advice is your best course of action. Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 03:43:08 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
peacenprayer

Jurisdiction: GOMT

ting ting ting

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 04:12:09 PM »

Good to know! Thank you!

Chanter, Blacksmith, Tailor, Captain of the Guard. ...I made the last one up.
Paisius
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 04:53:05 PM »

Good to know! Thank you!

Are you attending a parish? If so what is the jurisdiction?
smithakd
Dcn Andrew Smith

Jurisdiction: Australia

Orthodox Christian Deacon and Author

intro2orthodoxy
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 02:28:37 AM »

The ideal, IMHO, would be that there would be someone to show you all that kind of practical stuff - a greeter, for example, could introduce you to someone who knew what they were doing.  That's something that helped me greatly when I first started coming to church.

Short of that, what I did in my first year of going to church was just figure out what everyone else (i.e. 2/3rds of the parish - it's a big parish!) was doing, and figure that if that many people were doing it, it must be right enough.

The fun part was realising a couple of years later that in fact no one knew what they were doing Cheesy since then, I've sometimes noticed (in parishes that have pews) that people sit down only after a bunch of people at the front decide to sit down first, which starts a kind of anti-wave Smiley

Dcn Andrew Smith

Author: Discover the Church: The Whats and Whys of Orthodox Christianity and Footsteps of the Apostles: 110 ways to promote church growth in your Orthodox parish.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 10:06:49 AM »

The ideal, IMHO, would be that there would be someone to show you all that kind of practical stuff - a greeter, for example, could introduce you to someone who knew what they were doing.  That's something that helped me greatly when I first started coming to church.

Short of that, what I did in my first year of going to church was just figure out what everyone else (i.e. 2/3rds of the parish - it's a big parish!) was doing, and figure that if that many people were doing it, it must be right enough.

The fun part was realising a couple of years later that in fact no one knew what they were doing Cheesy since then, I've sometimes noticed (in parishes that have pews) that people sit down only after a bunch of people at the front decide to sit down first, which starts a kind of anti-wave Smiley

In my parish people sit and stand following the lead of the priest's wives who for some reason always sat in the first pew on the left of the nave.

Anyway, for thirty years the same Pani (wife of the priest) was there faithfully with her books marked in the 'correct' spaces where to sit and stand. The 'new' Pani, coming from a different parish had slightly different places to sit and stand. Well, it has been almost twenty years and guess what? It looks like the proverbial Chinese fire drill sometimes.

The funniest thing is that when any service is over people will generally wait to exit following her lead, if she decides to stay in the Church and pray no one seems to know what to do. Go figure!   Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 10:07:31 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 01:11:24 PM »

A couple links:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1857334876?ie=UTF8&tag=traditionalorthodoxy-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1857334876

http://www.oca.org/OCorthfaith.asp?SID=2 (which can also be purchased in hard copy form)
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 01:42:46 PM »

In my parish people sit and stand following the lead of the priest's wives who for some reason always sat in the first pew on the left of the nave.

I was unaware that the Mormons had an American Carpatho-Russian branch   laugh

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: