OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 04:16:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Candles in Church  (Read 1556 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: February 11, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »

So where do I exactly light candles in the Narthex? I know there are candles available for 10 dollars are those the big ones (used for at the Iconostastis) and not the skinny ones?

Do you just grab a skinny candle and light it? LOL everytime I go in for Orthos nobody is really around to help, so yeah...

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 05:23:36 PM »

So where do I exactly light candles in the Narthex? I know there are candles available for 10 dollars are those the big ones (used for at the Iconostastis) and not the skinny ones?

Do you just grab a skinny candle and light it? LOL everytime I go in for Orthos nobody is really around to help, so yeah...

Typically there are two places for the laity to light candles and say private prayers. One, for the living, and another for the dead - sometimes accompanied by icons as well. There are many variations between mission churches and cathedrals, but if you get to the service early enough you can watch the others light the candles, like at the beginning of Hours before Divine Liturgy. This will give you the direction you need.

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 05:24:22 PM »

Usually, for the skinny candles, you put your money in the box, take a candle, and put it in the sandbox or candle holder. If it's a candle holder, you hold the bottom of the candle over a flame after lighting to melt the bottom so that, when you stick it in the older, it sticks and doesn't fall over.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 05:28:43 PM »

So you get there before any other candles are lit?? You must get there early! I usually just grab one or two (there is usually a donation box close by to put 50 cents or a dollar into) and I use the candles that are lit to light my own. I've never gone to Orthros before and not seen other candles lit. There are usually lighters hidden somewhere, but I personally would wait until someone lights the first (usually a member of the clergy) instead of fishing around through cabinets looking for one.  Wink

edit:

also, if you are fortunate enough to have beeswax candles there (they are yellowish and smell kind of like honey) those are typically more expensive to make compared to the paraffin wax ones (white), so take that into consideration while donating.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 05:34:55 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 05:32:28 PM »

Typically there are two places for the laity to light candles and say private prayers. One, for the living, and another for the dead - sometimes accompanied by icons as well. There are many variations between mission churches and cathedrals, but if you get to the service early enough you can watch the others light the candles, like at the beginning of Hours before Divine Liturgy. This will give you the direction you need.

We have two 'sandboxes', one on each side of the aisle, each with their own icon. I didn't know that one of them was for saying prayers for the dead, and the other was for the living! I usually just lit one on each side for balance, praying for different needs. I will think about that from now on though, thanks for that!
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 05:44:11 PM »

We have a variety of places to light a candle with your prayers.

As previously said, if looking at the iconostasis, to your right is for the living, and to your left is for the departed.  However, I don't think that is written in stone anywhere.  God hears your prayers, no matter where you say them.

We have little glass votives - blue/red, large glass candles (last all month) and the skinny beeswax candles.

We do not light ours in the narthex, but, actually up front, near the iconostasis.  There are a number of brass candle holders for the tapers and tables/stands for the glass votives.

However, I have often seen the sandboxes in the narthex.  Our narthex is simply too small to accommodate even an icon stand, much less a location for candles. 

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 06:52:35 PM »

So you get there before any other candles are lit??

He obviously hasn't developed the last and full stage of the Orthodox phronema: being late.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:52:46 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 06:57:08 PM »

We have two 'sandboxes', one on each side of the aisle, each with their own icon. I didn't know that one of them was for saying prayers for the dead, and the other was for the living! I usually just lit one on each side for balance, praying for different needs. I will think about that from now on though, thanks for that!

I think often the candles for the dead often are placed in a special field of candleholders in front of a crucifix. I think these are more common in Slavic churches than Greek ones (I've personally only seen them in Russian churches), and I've only seen them on the right (Christ) side of the nave.

Here's a photo: http://www.istok.net/church-product/Panikhida-table-cover-2.html
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:03:00 PM by bogdan » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 07:01:14 PM »

He obviously hasn't developed the last and full stage of the Orthodox phronema: being late.

No, young padawan learner, the final stage of the phronema is not going at all.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 07:04:48 PM »

Thank you for the correction Master.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 08:19:51 PM »

Thanks for the responses, makes sense.

ROFL

Hey how come you never responded to my PM? Hope it didn't sound to awkward, I came across your Icon corner on a Catholic forum and had some questions about it...

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 09:43:51 PM »

Thanks for the responses, makes sense.

ROFL

Hey how come you never responded to my PM? Hope it didn't sound to awkward, I came across your Icon corner on a Catholic forum and had some questions about it...

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 09:45:42 PM »

LOL that's exactly how it is man.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 11:32:03 PM »

Well, I was just busy being awesome and forgot about it. I'll see if I can muster the energy...
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 03:45:19 AM »

I think often the candles for the dead often are placed in a special field of candleholders in front of a crucifix. I think these are more common in Slavic churches than Greek ones (I've personally only seen them in Russian churches),

Never seen a specific candlestand for the souls in any Greek church I've set foot in, over several decades. And, in Greek churches, the crucifix is placed behind the altar table, not in the nave.

and I've only seen them on the right (Christ) side of the nave.

I've seen plenty on the left side of the nave, including in the Russian church in my neck of the woods.  Smiley

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: