OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 10:12:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do Moslems worship the same God?  (Read 5062 times) Average Rating: 0
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2012, 01:18:46 AM »

Just a heresy though? That's really stretching it IMO.

Your's is a humble opinion compared to St. John of Damascus.  I am going to go with his opinion as he states in his work On Heresies:   

“There is also the superstition of the Ishmaelites which to this day prevails and keeps people in error, being a forerunner of the Antichrist. They are descended from Ishmael, [who] was born to Abraham of Hagar, and for this reason they are called both Hagarenes and Ishmaelites. They are also called Saracens, which is derived from Sarras kenoi, or destitute of Sara, because of what Hagar said to the angel: ‘Sara hath sent me away destitute.’ These used to be idolaters and worshiped the morning star and Aphrodite, whom in their own language they called Khabár, which means great.    And so down to the time of Heraclius they were very great idolaters. From that time to the present a false prophet named Mohammed has appeared in their midst. This man, after having chanced upon the Old and New Testaments and likewise, it seems, having conversed with an Arian monk,  devised his own heresy. Then, having insinuated himself into the good graces of the people by a show of seeming piety, he gave out that a certain book had been sent down to him from heaven. He had set down some ridiculous compositions in this book of his and he gave it to them as an object of veneration.” 
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2012, 01:23:14 AM »

Nobody here has tried to vindicate other religions

Stating that other religions worship the same God as we do in Christianity in effect vindicates them as other paths to that same God.

however, many folks, myself included, have expressed the sentiments that it is both incredulous and even pretentious for anyone to assume that any person, group, or faith has power to control or limit the power of the Almighty God.  If God wants to talk to Muslims and atheist alike, are y'all going to stop Him?

I think I just said in my previous reply that God calls whom He wills. Again, it is not about limits on God (as there aren't any), but limits that other religions place on their adherents' ability to embrace the true God, e.g., in Islam their god is all powerful BUT does not beget. We know that's nonsense.

Again though, my question has yet to be addressed, if only within the Church can folks worship God, how do folks outside the Church ever convert? Who invites them in if not the Holy Spirit, and if the Holy Spirit invites even them that are outside to come in by God's Grace, how can we then say that God only acts inside the Church hence limiting the Almighty God as if we controlled access to Him instead of Him controlling our access.

Again, this was actually just addressed in my previous reply. Just because those outside of Christianity don't worship God doesn't mean that God doesn't call them to worship Him. But in Islam they reject Him in favor of their own recension, in Judaism they reject Him and still await their political/military messiah, etc. When they stop rejecting Him (and leave Islam, Judaism, etc. for Christianity), then we can talk about them as worshiping the true God.

I think its safer for us simply to promote the Truth of Christianity without having to resort to political style attack ads against folks outside the Church, surely God speaks well enough for Himself, that is, unless folks honestly think He doesn't talk to anyone but themselves Wink

"Political-style attack ads"? You are such a ham...

You added "as we do in Christianity," no one else said that. 

Please forgive me, Father, I see how that was poorly worded on my part. By "as we do in Christianity" I mean "the same God as we do in Christianity" (which is the topic of this thread), not that they worship in the same manner or to the same degree or what have you. Apologies for any confusion.

Bigsinner
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA  (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2012, 10:42:29 AM »

An illustration:

Let's say a guy named Joe Doaks develops a new monotheistic religion: BOOG - Belief Of One God, which worships a god called BOOGER, and the core beliefs are as follows:

-  There is only one god and her name is BOOGER

-  BOOGER is ten feet tall, has horns, a forked tongue, and a tail

-  BOOGER requires human sacrifices on her alter

-  Booger's golden rule is: "by any means necessary"

Question:  Do followers of BOOGER worship the same god as Christians just because they profess belief in one god? 

Question:  Are they seeking the same path and ends as Christians?

Question:  Are they just "misinformed"?

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2012, 09:39:16 AM »

Just because Islam worships a diety named "God" does not mean it is God. The attributes of God in the koran are radically different than that of the Bible.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2012, 04:26:28 PM »

Aslan is not Tash.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Isadore

Jurisdiction: Mediterranean

« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2012, 05:06:25 PM »

I honestly think they do worship the same God, but this is a topic I'm very interested in and have yet to research.

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and around you thousands will be saved."
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2012, 07:16:38 PM »

Doesn't Saint John of Damascus say that Christians  and Muslims worship the same God?   Of course, I stand to be corrected. Ialmisry could tell us about that.

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
jaroslavkourakin

« Reply #97 on: February 29, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »

I am curious. There has been much "dialog" between Christians and Moslems, but where is the coomon Ground. God is revealed to us through scripture andTradition. God is revealed to Islam through the Koran, two vastly different revelations. Yes I know, Ghandi, that violence on both sides has been done in the name of religion, but nowhere in our New Testament is anything but kindness toward enemies is condoned. All monotheists don't necessarily worship the same God.

I think there are two Gods. One created and one uncreated. The uncreated God is Single (just like your Eye should be Single). He is ever forgiving and merciful and does not pay evil for evil. His Character says, Forgive, Do not Condemn, and Give.

The other God says Eye for an Eye. Never forget and never forgive. Love your neighbour and hate your enemy. Gotta balance things.

So you tell me what God Muslims worship, and sometimes Christians.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: