OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 01:34:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholic to Orthodox?  (Read 532 times) Average Rating: 0
MWM958

Faith: Roman Catholic

« on: February 08, 2011, 10:49:59 PM »

So I've been seriously considering converting to the Orthodox faith. I'm a Roman Catholic, btw. I'm interested as to what the process for conversion would be if I were to convert. Like, is it any different for Catholics than for others? Or, is it just no different?

And, am I as a Catholic allowed to visit an Orthodox service? And to what extant may I participate in it?

Thank you in advance =)
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 11:03:22 PM »

The conversion process looks different from church to church, depending on the bishops and customs for receiving Christians. Some baptize, and other exclude this ritual during reception.

You are welcome to visit an Orthodox Church, but depending on the church you might slip in and out without being noticed.
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 11:09:34 PM »

Welcome!

I know several Roman Catholics who have converted to Orthodoxy. They were made catechumens like everyone else, though their instruction (and sometimes the length of time) was tailored to where they were in their spiritual life.

The initiation rite may vary by jurisdiction (i.e., national branch of the Orthodox Church—Greek, Russian, Serbian, etc.). I think in general you would be chrismated (confirmed), but not necessarily baptized again. I seem to recall that a few jurisdictions receive Roman Catholics by confession (i.e., renouncing the Roman Church) and that's all. Not completely sure on that one though. It is best to discuss this with the parish priest if you decide to move forward with converting.

You certainly may visit a service, and you may participate in every way except for receiving sacraments.
MWM958

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 07:01:28 AM »

Hmm interesting. I'm gonna try talking with my local Orthodox parish if I get the chance, and maybe visit a couple of the services.

Thanks for the answers guys.
Frank J

Faith: Russian Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 12:25:56 PM »

Hello MWM958,

I was once Roman Catholic a long time ago and convert in 2001

You asked a question on how would a Roman Catholic be received into the Orthodox faith?

I started by calling the parish Priest first and asking about attending the Divine Liturgy and that I was interseted in converting to the Orthodox faith. I was Chrismated into the Orthodox faith about one year from the time started attending. In the mean time I had to read about the faith before I'm to join the Church.

He asked me to read a few small book that number around 30 pagers or so, if I remember right. The OCA general receives a Roman Catholic though Chrismation. It took one year from the time I spoke to him until I was Chrismated. The ROCOR would baptized you and then give you Chrismation, the length of the wait may differ from place to place concerning the Priest own views of the convert.

You will feel better after you after making the change. The Orthodox people are very friendly once they get to know you. Please don't alone during coffee hour that may follow after Divine Liturgy. You will also make new friends in the process of your time at the parish.

I very happy being Orthodox Christian and I'm very glade GOD called me to the Orthodox Church.

GOD bless you.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: