OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 17, 2014, 10:32:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: How important is selflessness (putting the needs of others before your own)?
Of the highest importance - 9 (69.2%)
Very important - 3 (23.1%)
Somewhat important - 1 (7.7%)
Not very important - 0 (0%)
Of the least importance - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The importance of selflessness to the Christian life  (Read 2076 times) Average Rating: 0
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« on: February 08, 2011, 07:44:47 PM »

How important do you think the practice of selflessness is (or should be) to the Orthodox Christian? Should we always put other's needs ahead of our own? Why or why not?
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 12:56:40 PM »

"I will freely sacrifice unto thee: I will praise thy name, O LORD; for it is good." Psalm 53:6

"Let my prayer arise in thy sight as incense; and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice." Psalm 140:2

"Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it." Matthew 16:24-25

"Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,  Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment.

And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."
Matthew 22:36-40

"And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father. Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.

"And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house. And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God."
Luke 9:59-62

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith."
Romans 12:1-3

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 01:08:45 PM »

Thanks for the reply, Benjamin. So it appears that the 'overwhelming concensus' agrees that putting others ahead of ourselves is at least somewhat important. So how are we to actualize this and make it a reality in our daily lives? (Of course, this assumes that it is an important aspect of our spiritual lives, based on limited input. If someone disagrees, please feel free to make your voice heard).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 01:11:12 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 04:11:47 PM »

"Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world." James 1:27

"It was said of Abba John the Persian that when some evildoers came to him, he took a basin and wanted to wash their feet. But they were filled with confusion, and began to do penance." Sayings of the Desert Fathers

"A brother went to Abba Matoes and said to him, 'How is it that the monks of Scetis did more than the Scriptures required in loving their enemies more than themselves?' Abba Matoes said to him, 'As for me I have not yet managed to love those who love me as I love myself.'" Sayings of the Desert Fathers

"Abba Agathon said, "If I could meet a leper, give him my body and take his, I should be very happy." That is perfect charity. It was also said of him that when he came into the town one day to sell his goods, he met a sick traveller lying in the public place with no one to care for him. The old man rented a room and lived with him there, working with his hands to pay the rent and spending the rest on the sick man's needs. He stayed there four months until the sick man was well again. Then he went back to his cell in peace." Sayings of the Desert Fathers

Once two brothers came to a certain old man. It was his custom not to eat every day but when he saw them he received them joyfully and said, "A fast has its own reward, but he who eats for the sake of love fulfils two commandments: he leaves his own will and he refreshes his brothers." Sayings of the Desert Fathers

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 04:55:23 PM »

Thanks again Benjamin, very helpful Smiley
Tags: selflessness 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: