OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 10:47:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholics change position on Wicca and witchcraft  (Read 2042 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: February 08, 2011, 06:33:14 PM »

According to Elizabeth Dodd, a former Wiccan, in her pamphlet Wicca and Witchcraft: Understanding the Danger (published by the Vatican-associated publisher, the Catholic Truth Society in England), the Roman Catholic Church has changed its position on the treatment of persons who are Wiccans and witches.
In the guide, the author says that it is important to recognize that Wiccans are on a genuine spiritual quest providing a starting point for dialog that may lead to their conversion. She goes on to say that "whether spellwork is effective or not has no bearing on the psychological damage that can be done to a young person who is convinced that they have summoned the dead, or have performed a spell that has hurt or injured another."

« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 06:33:45 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 06:35:11 PM »

According to Elizabeth Dodd, a former Wiccan, in her pamphlet Wicca and Witchcraft: Understanding the Danger (published by the Vatican-associated publisher, the Catholic Truth Society in England), the Roman Catholic Church has changed its position on the treatment of persons who are Wiccans and witches.
In the guide, the author says that it is important to recognize that Wiccans are on a genuine spiritual quest providing a starting point for dialog that may lead to their conversion. She goes on to say that "whether spellwork is effective or not has no bearing on the psychological damage that can be done to a young person who is convinced that they have summoned the dead, or have performed a spell that has hurt or injured another."

Personally, I think it is a step in the right direction from burning them.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 06:36:17 PM »

This is doctrinal development that I can believe in. Smiley

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 06:53:54 PM »

I would not have gone all the way to dialogue.  I think that I would have stopped at shooting them.  Burning is a bit too cruel.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 06:55:04 PM »

I think saying there is a change in position implies too much that there was a position in the first place. Neo-paganism is a new phenomenon, just as is "ecumenical dialogue," and both may be inspired by the same principle, but that is another matter.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 06:58:37 PM »

I would not have gone all the way to dialogue.  I think that I would have stopped at shooting them.  Burning is a bit too cruel.

I can't tell if you're joking... I'm a bit frightened... I'm leaving this thread now... begging your pardon sir...

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 07:05:35 PM »

You're not going to win too many converts condemning people for their beliefs (much less by burning them). The RCC knows this.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 07:16:38 PM »

I never took the course on historical witchcraft, but I recall the Protestant English Puritans being the most recent infamous witch burners. I think the Roman Catholics stopped burning witches around the time they stopped burning heretics.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 07:19:25 PM »

I bet Christine O'Donnell would be happy about this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxJyPsmEask
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 07:21:44 PM »

^ Lol. Jetavan as well  Tongue

CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 09:03:18 PM »

You're not going to win too many converts condemning people for their beliefs (much less by burning them). The RCC knows this.

You're also not going to win many converts by "dialoguing" with people to a degree where they think that they are progressing just fine in their spiritual search where they are, and don't need to move out of their present religion. I've seen assertions to this effect often, "The Catholic Church nowadays says it's OK to be a Buddhist/Muslim/Hindu. They aren't missing out on the divine just because they aren't in the Church."
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 09:04:50 PM by CRCulver » Logged
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 09:04:32 PM »

I think you have to differentiate Wiccans from Wicca when reading this.  The short passage quoted makes no statement that implies the RCC sanctions or recognizes Wicca.  It does appear to acknowledge that Wiccans, or people who turn to Wicca for spiritual help, are sincere.  However, sincerity and reality can be two entirely different things.

By the way, http://www.amazon.com/Witchcraft-Very-Short-Introduction-Introductions/dp/019923695X/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1297213249&sr=8-9 is a really good book on the history of the RCC and witchcraft.  His analysis proves that the portrait of wild-eyed inquisitors and witchcraft trial gone mad are quite the exception.  Most witch trials were not run by the RCC but feudal lords trying to work through disputes between their peasants.  On afverage, the conviction rates were low and executions even rarer.

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 09:20:30 PM »

You're also not going to win many converts by "dialoguing" with people to a degree where they think that they are progressing just fine in their spiritual search where they are, and don't need to move out of their present religion. I've seen assertions to this effect often, "The Catholic Church nowadays says it's OK to be a Buddhist/Muslim/Hindu. They aren't missing out on the divine just because they aren't in the Church."

I grew up Catholic after the reforms of the 1960's. I can assure you the Church does not teach this. I do not have a copy of the Catechism to refer to at  the moment, but I am sure you are mistaken about this.

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 09:23:55 PM »

I grew up Catholic after the reforms of the 1960's. I can assure you the Church does not teach this. I do not have a copy of the Catechism to refer to at  the moment, but I am sure you are mistaken about this.

What matters is how the Roman Catholic Church is now perceived by some communities due to its compromising stance on dialogue. It doesn't matter what the Roman Catholic Church actually teaches, as people who have gained such an impression aren't going to get close enough to find out.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 10:25:14 PM »

I think these kinds of developments really give credence to arguments by Richard Dawkins and the like which assert that morality is not exclusively determined by religious teachings which are revealed, but rather in any religion it is also shaped by the larger cultural standards and morals, which then influence and determine the religious position. Often we argue that without the Christian faith we would have no moral compass, but the moral compass seems to be in flux most of the time.
Rdunbar123

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 07:12:46 AM »

I agree 100%. This is one reason I am persuing orthodoxy. Since Vatican II there has been an "i'm OK you're ok " tone toward other religions in The RCC.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 07:22:03 AM »

Yeah, in Orthodoxy it's more like "I'm not ok, you're not ok, but that's ok"  Cheesy

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 09:04:52 AM »

Wicca is a 20th century religion with very little to do with medieval witchcraft or paganism. The real paganism would make them poop their pants, methinks.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 03:23:27 PM »

I don't see where this is a call to dialogue with witches and witchcraft by the Pope. Rather it seems to me to be a recognize a cautionary approach to understand that many adherents of Wicca are misguided souls and that engaging them and reaching out in the name of Christ and the Gospel may allow them to see the errors in their practices and beliefs and lead them on to the path of salvation through the church.

But , nah...let's just shoot or burn them?  Give me a break.

It's no wonder what we have Lent each year and are read the same readings by our Church on the Sundays leading up to Pascha.

And don't tell me that the shooting or burning thing is supposed to be funny.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 03:48:35 PM »

How could it be to someone with no sense of sarcasm?
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 03:49:07 PM »

Yeah, in Orthodoxy it's more like "I'm not ok, you're not ok, but that's ok"  Cheesy

Post of the month nomination.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 04:19:19 PM »

How could it be to someone with no sense of sarcasm?

Not when it is snarky, juvenile or always boastful.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 11:06:36 PM »

Not when it is snarky, juvenile or always boastful.

Don't break your neck when you fall off your high horse.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 01:59:18 PM »

Haha. We are with ya there buddy.  Cheesy

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Tags: witch witches witchcraft 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: