OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 06:43:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taking Communion in other Orthodox churches  (Read 2571 times) Average Rating: 0
Nakfa

Faith: Eritrean Orthodox Christian

« on: February 07, 2011, 09:06:02 PM »

I understand that you have to be baptized an Orthodox Christian to receive communion in an Orthodox church but can an Eritrean Orthodox Christian take communion in a Greek Orthodox Church and vise verse? Because I'm Eritrean Orthodox and I attend a Greek Orthodox Church and all of the other Eritreans there take communion there.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 09:44:07 PM »

I understand that you have to be baptized an Orthodox Christian to receive communion in an Orthodox church but can an Eritrean Orthodox Christian take communion in a Greek Orthodox Church and vise verse? Because I'm Eritrean Orthodox and I attend a Greek Orthodox Church and all of the other Eritreans there take communion there.

It depends. Some Orthodox jurisdictions allow this. I attend an Antiochian church and we have many Eritrean Orthodox there and they are allowed to commune. Ask the priest if this would be permissible for you since I know some Greek churches have the same practice.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 09:52:34 PM »

This is one of those things you should talk about with the priest that would be serving the Liturgy. The two churches are not formally in communion, but there have been arrangements made between some churches that allow it, and some EO churches (I know this is in the OCA book for reception of converts) will receive OO by a confession of faith without having to be rebaptized or chrismated. It might not be a bad idea to talk to a priest from an OO church about your situation also.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 10:06:57 PM »

Fwiw, I've been at a couple Antiochian parishes that has allowed people of different groups (I think always Oriental Orthodox) to participate in the sacraments. In talked with one of the priests about this, he explained to me that, so far as he understood, someone wasn't supposed to simply come and go and be able to take communion whenever they wanted. Rather, if someone was too far away from a parish of their own group, and that person was willing to become part of the Eastern Orthodox parish, they would be allowed to join the parish and commune/confess/etc. without being required to make any particular statement of faith or renunciation of this or that belief. Only the priest/bishop over the parish will know for sure for that parish... so it's possible, but good to ask to be certain.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 10:07:37 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 10:52:37 PM »

I'm still amazed that this is done. It seems totally inappropriate if there is not an official reception and at least a public renunciation those matters which are contentious. But then again, I'm not a bishop or a presbyter, so what do I know about practical pastoral concerns?
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 01:51:12 AM »

Just to add one of my quirky comments, we don't "take Communion," we "receive' Holy Communion."  I know it is common, even for our priests to say "take," and I don't man to act like I know more than other laymen, because I don't have anywhere near the thological knowledge I've seen from other lay posters on this forum, but this teaching of the priest who baptised me, Fr. John G. Geranios, a noted priest of the GOAA, who once served as Archdiocesan Vicar General for Clergy, of blessed memory, stuck with me, from my youth.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 02:05:18 AM »

Just to add one of my quirky comments, we don't "take Communion," we "receive' Holy Communion." ... this teaching of the priest who baptised me, Fr. John G. Geranios, a noted priest of the GOAA, who once served as Archdiocesan Vicar General for Clergy, of blessed memory, stuck with me, from my youth.

Thanks for pointing it out, I didn't even think about it until now Smiley
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 02:14:02 AM »

Nakfa, welcome to the forum.   Smiley
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 05:46:48 AM »

No Eastern Orthodox Church in Australia will Commune anyone who is not in Communion with them.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 05:50:34 AM »

Cry Cry Cry

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 09:25:45 AM »

It depends. Some Orthodox jurisdictions allow this. I attend an Antiochian church and we have many Eritrean Orthodox there and they are allowed to commune. Ask the priest if this would be permissible for you since I know some Greek churches have the same practice.

It is my understanding that the Antiochians allow this with the understanding that by communing they are received into the EO Church, and they are not simply communing as OO's. But I could be wrong, I don't know for sure.

(Much like baptism—the heterodox baptism is not recognized on it's own merit, but retroactively upon Chrismation. I think it's convoluted but that's not my call.)
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 09:37:15 AM »

Do you accept the teaching of our 7 Ecumenical Councils?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Greywalk

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 09:42:27 AM »

Rather, if someone was too far away from a parish of their own group, and that person was willing to become part of the Eastern Orthodox parish, they would be allowed to join the parish and commune/confess/etc. without being required to make any particular statement of faith or renunciation of this or that belief. Only the priest/bishop over the parish will know for sure for that parish... so it's possible, but good to ask to be certain.

Humm...I have a situation here if this is true.  I work for a largess organization and frequently on travel or extended stays (sometimes of a month or more) where I am far from my home church (local parish where I normally pay taxes and live).  I attend the Divine Liturgy where I am.  How is this handled?  So far I have presented myself to receive Holy Communion and am asked one question "Am I an active Orthodox?"  I answer yes since this is true, when I am home I attend my local parish and am active in its support.  But I do not wish to offend anyone so if I am out of order please instruct me.

Thanks

Just a poor wayfaring stranger passing through (from an old American Folk song)
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 10:06:43 AM »

I was taught to have your priest call or email the priest where you will be visiting to give him a heads up. If that isn't possible, try to get there during Matins and ask to speak to the priest and tell him what juristiction you are under, which parish you belong to and what you did to prepare for communion. Oh, and when you go up to communion at anohter parish, tell the priest your baptismal name so he can use when he communicates you.

Proverbs 22:7
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 11:09:18 AM »

Just to add one of my quirky comments, we don't "take Communion," we "receive' Holy Communion."  I know it is common, even for our priests to say "take," and I don't man to act like I know more than other laymen, because I don't have anywhere near the thological knowledge I've seen from other lay posters on this forum, but this teaching of the priest who baptised me, Fr. John G. Geranios, a noted priest of the GOAA, who once served as Archdiocesan Vicar General for Clergy, of blessed memory, stuck with me, from my youth.

My late father also would make the same correction to 'take' Communion, perhaps it was a generational thing? None the less, it is good counsel.
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 11:36:34 AM »

It is my understanding that the Antiochians allow this with the understanding that by communing they are received into the EO Church, and they are not simply communing as OO's. But I could be wrong, I don't know for sure.

That is true, although unfortunately it gets increasingly thrown under the bus, with some priests allowing OO to commune, knowing full well they do not accept the faith of that parish's other members, and plan to join an OO church when one becomes available.

For the OP, I will say that you should not receive communion in an EO church, even if they would allow it, unless you decide to convert to EO.  That means accepting the seven Ecumenical Councils, rejecting non-Chalcedonianism, and never returning to communion in an OO church.  Otherwise, you should either make the journey to a parish of your own faith, or attend the EO church without partaking in the sacraments.

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 04:05:10 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

While I am entirely for the unity of the Churches, and the continual ecumenical dialogue in that direction, and at every instance of praying of the One, Holy, Catholic, Apostolic Church I also pray deep in my heart and soul for the true unification of our Churches, I must confess that I understand the Greek Church not to be in communion with the Eritrean Orthodox Tewahedo Church at this time.

The Greek Church is Chalcedonian, they do not necessarily teach their Christology in the same light that the Tewahedo theologians of Egypt, Ethiopia and Eritrea have always taught over the past 1500 years.  I would advice you sincerely to consult an Eritrean Tewahedo priest about this matter, even if just by email, as it would seem that you may not have one local or I would assume you would just commune in a Eritrean church Smiley

Are there no Syrian Orthodox  or Coptic Egyptian (or, gasp, Ethiopian) churches in your area, the Tewahedo churches of Ethiopia and Eritrea are in full communion with Alexandrian Coptic Churches.  This is not to disrespect any of our Chalcedonian brothers and sisters, but I am sure that even if you spoke with the Greek clergy there, they would be sympathetic and express similar concerns.
Though even in matters of sister churches in full communion, it is wise to consult the clergy beforehand to let them know you are planning to commune with their parish and that you have received proper Reconciliation in due respect to Tradition. 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 05:51:01 PM »

Are there no Syrian Orthodox  or Coptic Egyptian (or, gasp, Ethiopian) churches in your area, the Tewahedo churches of Ethiopia and Eritrea are in full communion with Alexandrian Coptic Churches.

Don't forget the Armenians.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 07:04:23 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
Are there no Syrian Orthodox  or Coptic Egyptian (or, gasp, Ethiopian) churches in your area, the Tewahedo churches of Ethiopia and Eritrea are in full communion with Alexandrian Coptic Churches.

Don't forget the Armenians.

For simplicity's sake, I neglected to mention the Armenians, not to say they are not fully in communion within the Oriental Orthodox, but because there are quite a few different "Armenian" Churches, especially in the US, and so I wanted to keep it simpler until perhaps we even find out where these Eritreans are located so we may help them search for a more native parish.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 07:17:58 PM »

For simplicity's sake, I neglected to mention the Armenians, not to say they are not fully in communion within the Oriental Orthodox, but because there are quite a few different "Armenian" Churches, especially in the US, and so I wanted to keep it simpler until perhaps we even find out where these Eritreans are located so we may help them search for a more native parish.

Having heretical or schismatic bodies identifying with the native Orthodox tradition could really be said about any of the "flavors" of OOy, not just the Armenian...

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: