OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 03:20:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: protestants in cassocks and nutty weddings...  (Read 1678 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« on: February 06, 2011, 10:38:50 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfvogs6QMHQ&feature=related

wow Shocked

fast forward to 6:37, if you don't want to see the whole magical 10 minutes.

my questions:

1. is it normal for "pastors" to wear cassocks?  I thought they were out of use in Western Churches?

2.  is it also normal at Protestant weddings for the couple to fall on the ground?  (at least it was a funny anurism...)

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 10:42:28 PM »

Video title is accurate... quite spirited...  Cheesy

Building up my spiritual life one blurry avatar at a time!
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 10:50:37 PM »

Well, Trevor, I'll take your questions as you've numbered them:

1) Many Western Protestants still use priestly robes with the collar, most especially those descended from the Anglican tradition, like
Episcopalians and Methodists.  Many of the predominately African-American denominations adamantly hold to these traditions.

2) No, most Protestant weddings do not end with the couple falling to the ground, at least not in the church.  However, at the types of churches where the minister feels the need to place hands on people's heads and shout this is quite a common occurrence, and not just at weddings.  Notice how the minister gives a little shove at the end of his "blessing" so that the couple know it is now time to be "slain in the Spirit".

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 10:56:23 PM »

thanks, Asterikos and Formerreformer for your answers!

I wish to point out that I don't post this to make fun of these people (as humerous as this is to a caffinated 16 year old).  I was baptized a Protestant, but never taken to Church.  honestly, I've never really seen any kind of Protestant service, other than a non-denominational Sundau service.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 11:14:13 PM »

What started the trend with a black suit and the little white neck piece? Where is that in history?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 11:21:37 PM »

What started the trend with a black suit and the little white neck piece? Where is that in history?

The history is sketchy.  What is known is that the collar was introduced by the Anglicans in the 19th Century, especially those devoted to the Oxford movement.  Aside from that you will find theories that it is descended from a) medieval lay wear; b) the pallium; or c) the amice.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: