OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 11:16:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Intro - Hello everyone!  (Read 607 times) Average Rating: 0
Seb

Faith: (Newbie) Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolija Zagrebško-Ljubljanska

« on: February 06, 2011, 07:09:18 PM »

Hello everyone,

I don't know exactly where to start, I'll try to keep things as simple as possible, but it's quite complicated, so please, bear with me Smiley

I'm 27 years old, from Koper, a small town in Slovenia. Until a couple of weeks ago, I declared myself as agnostic. I used to see everything from a purely scientific point of view, but I guess that deep inside my heart I always suspected there must be some kind of "higher power" driving the universe, it's just that being unable to prove (or disprove) it, I didn't want to think about it.

Now, a little about my background. My maternal grandfather was italian, he went to Belgrade after WWII for work, and met my grandma there. He was always fascinated by the Orthodox Church, and spent hours every day listening to the chants. They fell in love and he actually planned to convert himself and marry her with Orthodox rite. But they were in a hurry (mostly for bureaucratic and political reasons), and marrying as an Orthodox would've taken too long... so their only chance was to marry as Catholics, and so it was. They had to promise all their descendants would be raised as Catholics too, but in fact, my mother's been raised with both cultures...

When my grandma died back in 2002, we decided to have an Orthodox funeral for her. That was my first experience with Orthodoxy, and I have to say I liked it. It was different than what I was used to see, living in a mostly Catholic place, the Orthodox rituals seemed to bring God closer to us human beings. I always had (and still have) a relatively negative opinion about the Catholic church. In my very personal opinion, they're thinking too much about power and wealth (I mean, they even have a price list for their services - at least here in Slovenia! Didn't Jesus himself get rid of the merchants in the Temple? Aren't we supposed to give offerings based on what we can and feel right to give?). I didn't see that greedy attitude in my local Orthodox parish.

Now comes the hardest part... On January 18th, a cancer prematurely took my mom away from me (she was only 57). I had a really tight relationship with her, probably tighter than most mothers and sons have. She was my guide, my inspiration, my best friend. And then, all of the sudden (it was a very fast form of breast cancer - we actually knew it was cancer for only 5 days prior to her passing away), I found myself alone with my father. I still didn't fully realize she's gone, and I'm so afraid of the moment when I'll finally understand it.

Since my mom had similar feelings about the Catholic church as I have, and since she really loved her mother's Orthodox faith... We once again asked our priest to help us and bury her with the Orthodox rite. And thank God we did. Since that moment, I started to feel a very powerful attraction to this faith. Going to the mass on Sundays makes me feel better, almost as it would literally heal my soul. People there accepted me and my dad as their own, there's no people looking at us like unwelcome strangers, we feel at home. I then started to reconsider my agnosticism, since what I felt could not be explained with any scientific explanation. I have to be honest, there are still moments that I'm unsure, but the more I think about it, the more I can feel a sort of... call.

Yes, I want to become an Orthodox. I'm still a total newbie, I need to look at others to know when to cross myself, I have everything to learn, but I want to. I already started, since I have to prepare my mom's parastos (mnemósynon)... and after that, I'll ask our priest what do I need to do to get baptized and finally, officially, become a true Orthodox. The path in front of me is long, and I'm also sure there are going to be obstacles, but I'm quite confident that I'll be able to surpass them to reach my goal - unite myself with God.

In the meantime, if it's ok for you, I'll stick around, ask questions and use this forum to understand more about Orthodoxy. It'd also be useful to try and make some friends around my age, I guess that would be helpful too... So if you feel like helping me out, I'd be grateful Smiley

Finally, I'd like to thank everyone that read all I wrote. Thank you!

God bless,
Sebastian
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 07:22:31 PM »

Pozdrav .......

Is slovanija troubled with the Catholic Clergy Child sex Abuse ,  I've read croatia is ......

Blazeni Pokoj tvojoj Majki , i Vecnajoj Pamjat....
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 07:30:18 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 07:24:10 PM »

Welcome Smiley

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 07:25:11 PM »

Welcome, Sebastian!

I'm so sorry for your loss. . .may your mother's memory be eternal, Lord have mercy.

I'm newly illumined as of last November about a year and a half after my first visit.  There is so much to learn.  Like you, I was raised Catholic.  I am home now - still learning - seems the cornucopia never empties of the richness of His Church. 

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Seb

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 07:40:54 PM »

stashko: Yeah, sometimes you can hear about that here too. Last news is that the Archbishop of Maribor literally threw away 800.000.000€ (yes, 800 million euros!) in bad investments... I guess you can understand the situation and why I don't like them? Smiley Hvala ti puno!

Asteriktos: Thank you!

quietmorning: Thank you! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. Knowing that there are more people like me makes me feel less of a freak... The important thing is that we found our place Smiley
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 07:47:54 PM »

On the Parastos ,Koljivo  zito , wheat dish ,the kolo crkveno sestara will make the dish for you ,just ask them a head of time before the Memorial service...

Thats what i had done for My Mother and Father the serbian circle sisters made it here in Chicago for me, before the Memorial service...

Hello everyone,

I don't know exactly where to start, I'll try to keep things as simple as possible, but it's quite complicated, so please, bear with me Smiley

I'm 27 years old, from Koper, a small town in Slovenia. Until a couple of weeks ago, I declared myself as agnostic. I used to see everything from a purely scientific point of view, but I guess that deep inside my heart I always suspected there must be some kind of "higher power" driving the universe, it's just that being unable to prove (or disprove) it, I didn't want to think about it.

Now, a little about my background. My maternal grandfather was italian, he went to Belgrade after WWII for work, and met my grandma there. He was always fascinated by the Orthodox Church, and spent hours every day listening to the chants. They fell in love and he actually planned to convert himself and marry her with Orthodox rite. But they were in a hurry (mostly for bureaucratic and political reasons), and marrying as an Orthodox would've taken too long... so their only chance was to marry as Catholics, and so it was. They had to promise all their descendants would be raised as Catholics too, but in fact, my mother's been raised with both cultures...

When my grandma died back in 2002, we decided to have an Orthodox funeral for her. That was my first experience with Orthodoxy, and I have to say I liked it. It was different than what I was used to see, living in a mostly Catholic place, the Orthodox rituals seemed to bring God closer to us human beings. I always had (and still have) a relatively negative opinion about the Catholic church. In my very personal opinion, they're thinking too much about power and wealth (I mean, they even have a price list for their services - at least here in Slovenia! Didn't Jesus himself get rid of the merchants in the Temple? Aren't we supposed to give offerings based on what we can and feel right to give?). I didn't see that greedy attitude in my local Orthodox parish.

Now comes the hardest part... On January 18th, a cancer prematurely took my mom away from me (she was only 57). I had a really tight relationship with her, probably tighter than most mothers and sons have. She was my guide, my inspiration, my best friend. And then, all of the sudden (it was a very fast form of breast cancer - we actually knew it was cancer for only 5 days prior to her passing away), I found myself alone with my father. I still didn't fully realize she's gone, and I'm so afraid of the moment when I'll finally understand it.

Since my mom had similar feelings about the Catholic church as I have, and since she really loved her mother's Orthodox faith... We once again asked our priest to help us and bury her with the Orthodox rite. And thank God we did. Since that moment, I started to feel a very powerful attraction to this faith. Going to the mass on Sundays makes me feel better, almost as it would literally heal my soul. People there accepted me and my dad as their own, there's no people looking at us like unwelcome strangers, we feel at home. I then started to reconsider my agnosticism, since what I felt could not be explained with any scientific explanation. I have to be honest, there are still moments that I'm unsure, but the more I think about it, the more I can feel a sort of... call.

Yes, I want to become an Orthodox. I'm still a total newbie, I need to look at others to know when to cross myself, I have everything to learn, but I want to. I already started, since I have to prepare my mom's parastos (mnemósynon)... and after that, I'll ask our priest what do I need to do to get baptized and finally, officially, become a true Orthodox. The path in front of me is long, and I'm also sure there are going to be obstacles, but I'm quite confident that I'll be able to surpass them to reach my goal - unite myself with God.

In the meantime, if it's ok for you, I'll stick around, ask questions and use this forum to understand more about Orthodoxy. It'd also be useful to try and make some friends around my age, I guess that would be helpful too... So if you feel like helping me out, I'd be grateful Smiley

Finally, I'd like to thank everyone that read all I wrote. Thank you!

God bless,
Sebastian
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 07:50:57 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Seb

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 07:57:40 PM »

Thanks for the tip stashko! However, I feel quite confident about preparing the zito myself. I actually made one together with my mother for my grandma's parastos... I have a really, really old "kuvar" (cookbook) that has many old serbian recipes, including zito. My only problem is that it's in cyrillic - which I can read, but like... one letter at a time, so it takes me a bit of effort to read a recipe, but it's worth it!
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 08:01:38 PM »

Thats Good your Familiar with the zito,,And you can take a Kolac as well , Bread can even resemble the krsna slava kolac...

Nemoj da zaboravis Rakiju, ili slivovicu ,za pokoj duse......

Thanks for the tip stashko! However, I feel quite confident about preparing the zito myself. I actually made one together with my mother for my grandma's parastos... I have a really, really old "kuvar" (cookbook) that has many old serbian recipes, including zito. My only problem is that it's in cyrillic - which I can read, but like... one letter at a time, so it takes me a bit of effort to read a recipe, but it's worth it!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 08:10:10 PM by stashko » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 04:47:21 AM »

I would like to ask you to use English unless you post in the Slavic Languages or communicate via private messages.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 04:47:35 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: