Author Topic: Pahappahooey Island Edition of the Bible  (Read 922 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Pahappahooey Island Edition of the Bible
« on: February 06, 2011, 05:36:46 PM »
I'm a fan of Thompson Chain-Reference Bibles, so I went to their site to see if they had anything new (In my wildest dreams I'd like to see them release a Bible with the deuterocanonicals, but that will always remain a dream...). Anyway, I saw this at the site:

Kids "Pahappahooey Island Edition" Treasure Study Bible (NIV)

I've heard of Kids Bibles before, but this seems to really take the ball and run for quite a while with the concept. What do you all think of this?
"The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny--it is the light that guides your way." - Heraclitus

Offline quietmorning

• Archon
  • St. Photini please pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: Pahappahooey Island Edition of the Bible
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 05:44:33 PM »
Well. . . . marketing sells? 

I dunno. . .if I were a kid?  I'd take one look at it and . . . run?  It just doesn't look appealing to me.  There's something to be said about kids wanting to do the things their parent's do too. . .I wanted a 'grown up' Bible as a child.  I was egotistically insulted when I was given a Bible for children.  It missed too much of the good stuff.

A few weeks ago I was in the bookstore looking for a bible I could carry in my purse (didn't find one that had all the necessities) and there was a little boy with his mother and grandmother trying to pick out a Bible for Church - and wouldn't you know it, they picked out a nice children's Bible and he wanted the grown up one. . .and WOULD NOT take no for an answer.  :) 

Man after my own heart.  Yeppers.  **blushes**

In His Mercy,
BethAnna

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 05:48:01 PM »
I don't agree with it. I think children should stay away from the Bible honestly.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline quietmorning

• Archon
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 05:50:02 PM »
I don't agree with it. I think children should stay away from the Bible honestly.

**chuckles**

What makes you say that?
In His Mercy,
BethAnna

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 06:00:30 PM »
The mature themes in the Bible, especially the Old Testament. The rapes, infant genocide, the murders, the adultery, etc. It's not material children should be reading.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 06:00:57 PM by Aposphet »
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline quietmorning

• Archon
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 06:01:26 PM »
The mature themes in the Bible, especially the Old Testament. The rapes, infant genocide, the murders, the adultery, etc. It's not material children should be reading.

Ah - good point.  What age would you suggest? 
In His Mercy,
BethAnna

Offline quietmorning

• Archon
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 06:06:35 PM »
Though. . I think I take that back. . .I remember questioning my parents about things in the bible about those things and it opened discussion.  So at an early age right and wrong was definitive.  I didn't understand fully what these things were - but there was good and bad, and bad could be beyond awful. 
In His Mercy,
BethAnna