OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 11:21:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommended churches in Pittsburgh area?  (Read 533 times) Average Rating: 0
paleoconservative

Faith: Roman Catholic

« on: February 05, 2011, 05:15:08 PM »

Hi,

I've been reading this forum for a while, but I have a specific question that I would like to see addressed, so I guess it's time for me to come out of "lurk" mode . . .

My fiancee and I have decided to take the big step, so to speak, and attend our first Eastern Orthodox Liturgy. We have decided that, if possible, we would like to stay close to the McKeesport/White Oak area, for a number of reasons. So far, we're considering St. Michael's (ACROD), Annunciation Church (Greek), Holy Virgin Dormition Church (ROCOR), and St. Sava (Serbian). So, I guess my question is: Does anyone on this forum have any experience with the aforementioned churches? As inquirers into Orthodoxy, are there other churches in the general area that you would recommend we take a look at?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 05:34:46 PM by paleoconservative » Logged
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 05:19:23 PM »

Welcome to the forum Smiley  I'm not really familiar with Pittsburgh Churches, I'm a bit further east (in Latrobe). Of the ones you mentioned, I've only been to the ROCOR parish (a few times). It seemed nice, though I got a bit of a more formal vibe (which isn't for me)... but like I said, I only went a few times. Jnorm888 and some others will be able to speak from more experience...

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 05:22:28 PM »

St. Nicholas: http://www.stnickspgh.org/
Holy Trinity Church: http://www.holytrinitypgh.org/

St. Nicholas is downtown, I'm not sure I'm familar where McKeesport is...time too google search..

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 05:30:02 PM »

St. Anthony: 424 Miller Avenue
Clairton, PA 15025-1719
(412) 233-4004

St. Mary Church
524-526 Third Street
Clairton, PA 15025

Closest ones I found that you haven't visited, I think there is an OCA north of Annunciation if I'm not mistaken.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 06:04:52 PM »

Hi,

I've been reading this forum for a while, but I have a specific question that I would like to see addressed, so I guess it's time for me to come out of "lurk" mode . . .

My fiancee and I have decided to take the big step, so to speak, and attend our first Eastern Orthodox Liturgy. We have decided that, if possible, we would like to stay close to the McKeesport/White Oak area, for a number of reasons. So far, we're considering St. Michael's (ACROD), Annunciation Church (Greek), Holy Virgin Dormition Church (ROCOR), and St. Sava (Serbian). So, I guess my question is: Does anyone on this forum have any experience with the aforementioned churches? As inquirers into Orthodoxy, are there other churches in the general area that you would recommend we take a look at?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!
Any of them have services in English?

I've only been to the St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, and then only for the consecration of her bishop, Bp. Melchisedek.

1600 Guyton Rd
Allison Park, PA 15101
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 06:08:43 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 06:54:15 PM »

Welcome to the forum Smiley  I'm not really familiar with Pittsburgh Churches, I'm a bit further east (in Latrobe). Of the ones you mentioned, I've only been to the ROCOR parish (a few times). It seemed nice, though I got a bit of a more formal vibe (which isn't for me)... but like I said, I only went a few times. Jnorm888 and some others will be able to speak from more experience...

I've never visited any parishes in the McKeesport/White Oak area. I visited your parish once in Greensburgh, Pa but I really don't know much about the ones in Mckeesport. I know they have alot of parishes there because of the buildings I saw in the Mckeesport/White Oak and Duquesne region. The only one I know of personally close to that region is the one in Homestead.

http://www.stnichomestead.org/ (St. Nicholas Orthodox Church)

There are a 130 or a 140 Parishes in the Pittsburgh and greater Pittsburgh region, and so I only personally know of a half dozen to about a dozen. Sorry Paleoconservative if I wasn't of much help.

The Parish I gave a link to is one that alot of my friends at my parish go to off and on. I think you might like it there. I know they do.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 07:00:40 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 06:59:02 PM »

There's also an OCA parish in Duquesne...

St. Nicholas Church
507 Catherine St,
Duquesne, PA 15110

Not exactly in McKeesport/White Oak, but there it is fwiw. I've only been there once, and that was for Vespers, but the priest was quite nice and gave me some good advice.

EDIT--I should add that I visited there in 2003, when I was living in West Mifflin, and I have no idea if the same priest is still there.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 07:00:12 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 07:37:14 PM »

Welcome to the forum Smiley  I'm not really familiar with Pittsburgh Churches, I'm a bit further east (in Latrobe). Of the ones you mentioned, I've only been to the ROCOR parish (a few times). It seemed nice, though I got a bit of a more formal vibe (which isn't for me)... but like I said, I only went a few times. Jnorm888 and some others will be able to speak from more experience...

I've never visited any parishes in the McKeesport/White Oak area. I visited your parish once in Greensburgh, Pa but I really don't know much about the ones in Mckeesport. I know they have alot of parishes there because of the buildings I saw in the Mckeesport/White Oak and Duquesne region. The only one I know of personally close to that region is the one in Homestead.

http://www.stnichomestead.org/ (St. Nicholas Orthodox Church)

There are a 130 or a 140 Parishes in the Pittsburgh and greater Pittsburgh region, and so I only personally know of a half dozen to about a dozen. Sorry Paleoconservative if I wasn't of much help.

The Parish I gave a link to is one that alot of my friends at my parish go to off and on. I think you might like it there. I know they do.

Protopresbyter Robert is a fine priest at St. Nicholas and it has a renowned choir and a most knowledgeable cantor.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: