OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 04:51:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPod or MP3?  (Read 1952 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« on: February 04, 2011, 09:55:25 PM »

Can anyone tell me the difference between and iPod and an MP3 player? I was thinking about getting my son one of these for his birthday. I bascially need to know which one is simpler to use, and how I can put music from my cd's on it.

Thank you.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 10:03:48 PM »

I like the iPod better because iTunes (never liked WinAMP) organizes music better for me. And you can rip music very easily with iTunes.

That's what it comes down to, is the software not so much the hardware. But yeah iPod over any MP3 player, why settle for less unless its budget reasons.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 10:11:19 PM »

I don't really know the differences, other than iPod being a better known brand name. I have a Philip Mp3 player, which I bought a year ago at Walmart for something like $50. I've never had an issue with using Windows Media Player to load music onto it. (The only problem is that it doesn't keep time correctly).

If you are using Windows, and are using Windows Media Player, you can get your music from CD's by clicking on the pulldown menu that should have something about "Rip CD" or whatever. To get the music then from the hard drive to the Mp3/iPod, plug the device into the computer and click on the Sync tab on the upper right, then navigate to the music you want using the left panel, highlight and drag that music from the middle to the right hand panel, and then click Start Sync. This is sounding more complicated than it is... once you do it once you'll be able to do it in your sleep. If you're using other software others will probably have to modify what I've said though...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 10:12:45 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
IssacTheSyrian

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Archdiocese

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 10:23:42 PM »

Ipod's are very durable but I myself do not see anything special about its Itunes compatibility.
Ipod's are only good if you want a huge amount of memory. I find that the lower (memory) capacity Ipods are irrelevant.  If you want a 40+ GB mp3 player then get an Ipod.

I got myself the Sansa Clip+ last year and I can say that it was a great investment. You'll spend about $65.00 on it if you get the 8GB memory card (micro SD card) to boost it to 16GB:
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B002MAPS6W

Or, if you want something really simple and inexpensive, look at what they have over in China:
http://www.lightinthebox.com/4GB-Cross-MP3-Player---Two-Color-LCD-Display--YYPD016-_p20137.html

I just ordered one from this oversees (China) retailer for $20.00: http://www.focalprice.com/EM194B/4GB_Cross_Shape_Digital_Audio_MP3_Player_Black.html
That site is not working right not for some reason. It will be up again soon.

I'm getting a red one like this. I know, I know.

There's an external speaker:

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 10:31:01 PM by IssacTheSyrian » Logged

"To be detached from matter is prior to being bound to God."

St Issac The Syrian
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 10:29:24 PM »

Thanks guys!

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 10:48:06 PM »

I have almost 16k songs, it's very nice to have a library and broken down by artist/album/genre/year/ etc.

Windows Media Player sucks!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 10:52:58 PM »

Can anyone tell me the difference between and iPod and an MP3 player? I was thinking about getting my son one of these for his birthday. I bascially need to know which one is simpler to use, and how I can put music from my cd's on it.

Thank you.

Selam

An iPod is an "mp3 player", possibly among other things nowadays.

Hands down in terms of user interface the iPod owned the competition.

The question become which iPod.

I would go with the iPod nano, which primarily is still just a music player.

The iPod touch allows you to use tons of apps and whatnot, but for myself and if I had a kid, I would avoid the creating new ways to be distracted.

Yes you can create music files from your CDs to play on the player or computer. How you do this and the best way to do would depend on a few variables you can cross on you buy it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 10:53:26 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 10:54:29 PM »

Btw, I tried not to nerd out with too many infos above. Buy one and come if you need help with whatever comes up.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 11:15:01 PM »

I HAVE A 2 GIG ,4 ,GIG ,8,GIG I POD TOUCH PLUS A 30 GIG IPOD, I LIKE THEM ALL...I DO QUITE ALOT OF INTERNET RADIO RECORDING ,INCLUDE THE U-TUBE ETHNIC MUSIC VIDEO'S  ....I transfer the mp-3 music by dragging it to the player...One thing i don't like about the i-pods is, once it grabs your music you can't drag it back to your computer...
On the Hard drive ipods one can go to hidden folders, and get your music and drag it to your computer ,but you have to retitle all the music again ....
ON THE FLASH DRIVE IPODS IT HIDES THE FOLDER COMPLETLY ,IM SURE IF I SCOURE THE INTERNET THERE  IS PROGRAMS THAT WILL REVEAL THE HIDDEN FLASH DRIVE .....
There'S good and bad about the ipods.....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 11:25:51 PM »

Nice..... Grin

Very Religious Looking Mp- 3 Player...The Music you Play is it sacred Music only ......

Ipod's are very durable but I myself do not see anything special about its Itunes compatibility.
Ipod's are only good if you want a huge amount of memory. I find that the lower (memory) capacity Ipods are irrelevant.  If you want a 40+ GB mp3 player then get an Ipod.

I got myself the Sansa Clip+ last year and I can say that it was a great investment. You'll spend about $65.00 on it if you get the 8GB memory card (micro SD card) to boost it to 16GB:
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B002MAPS6W

Or, if you want something really simple and inexpensive, look at what they have over in China:
http://www.lightinthebox.com/4GB-Cross-MP3-Player---Two-Color-LCD-Display--YYPD016-_p20137.html

I just ordered one from this oversees (China) retailer for $20.00: http://www.focalprice.com/EM194B/4GB_Cross_Shape_Digital_Audio_MP3_Player_Black.html
That site is not working right not for some reason. It will be up again soon.

I'm getting a red one like this. I know, I know.

There's an external speaker:

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
IssacTheSyrian

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 11:28:13 PM »

I HAVE A 2 GIG ,4 ,GIG ,8,GIG I POD TOUCH PLUS A 30 GIG IPOD, I LIKE THEM ALL...I DO QUITE ALOT OF INTERNET RADIO RECORDING ,INCLUDE THE U-TUBE ETHNIC MUSIC VIDEO'S  ....I transfer the mp-3 music by dragging it to the player...One thing i don't like about the i-pods is, once it grabs your music you can't drag it back to your computer...
On the Hard drive ipods one can go to hidden folders, and get your music and drag it to your computer ,but you have to retitle all the music again ....
ON THE FLASH DRIVE IPODS IT HIDES THE FOLDER COMPLETLY ,IM SURE IF I SCOURE THE INTERNET THERE  IS PROGRAMS THAT WILL REVEAL THE HIDDEN FLASH DRIVE .....
There'S good and bad about the ipods.....

He doesn't need the Ipod, he needs the I-Rack. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE

St Issac The Syrian
IssacTheSyrian

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 11:43:30 PM »

Nice..... Grin

Very Religious Looking Mp- 3 Player...The Music you Play is it sacred Music only ......

I know, I've got audiobibles and sacred music to put on it.

St Issac The Syrian
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 08:01:53 AM »

Don't buy him an iPod. iPods are the worst music players I've used.

The main problem if them is that you can't load music to them using drag and drop method with Explorer Windows but you are forced to use their own program iTunes what is the least intuitive and the hardest to use music managing application.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 08:43:02 AM »

Don't buy him an iPod. iPods are the worst music players I've used.

The main problem if them is that you can't load music to them using drag and drop method with Explorer Windows but you are forced to use their own program iTunes what is the least intuitive and the hardest to use music managing application.

Yes !You can setup your Ipod thur itunes player on the computer , by checking the box ,to manually handle your music ,You can create faviorite folder and bypass the itunes library, then  you can drag and drop your music to your favorite folder....Getting your music  back out by draging it out to your computer ,Ipod i tunes won't allow it....

Continnued.....
If you use the itunes library for your music ,you can back up your music in the library , incase your ipod software has to be updated ,then it will restore your music to your ipod from the backup library.....
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 08:53:13 AM by stashko » Logged

genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 12:58:39 PM »

I bought my iPod about five years ago. It is the last of the "fat" type. It has never given me a bit of trouble. In agreement with what has been said, I don't find iTunes particularly intuitive, but once you learn how to do what you want it to do, it's quite easy.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 01:08:46 PM »

You should be very sneaky and speak about ipod's with your wife around him...

You:  So I have a friend who likes to use his ipod.  Have you ever heard about it?
Wife: Ya, my friend also talks about it...
Your Son butting in:  Oh my God...the ipod...best invention ever!

OR

Your Son butting in:  There's something better than the ipod...

Gift solved (hopefully)

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 01:45:32 PM »

Well, FWIW and IMHO Steve Jobs is the spawn of Satan and the less money sent to him and his evil machinations the better, go with a generic mp3 player  Wink  Stay away from Zune for the same reasons, but applied to Bill Gates.

I use my Sony PSP for all my music playing needs, it costs about the same but requires parental supervision what with it's web browsing capabilities and video game collection. 

You can pick up cheap mp3 players for about $40 which gives you between 4-8 gigs of memory.  4 gigs is more music than can be played in a single day and it's fairly easy to move new tracks on or off the devices.

As for getting music off your CDs pretty much all media-playing software has a "rip" function of some sort, just let us know which program you use and we'll tell you what to look for where.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 02:00:13 PM »

Well, FWIW and IMHO Steve Jobs is the spawn of Satan and the less money sent to him and his evil machinations the better, go with a generic mp3 player  Wink  Stay away from Zune for the same reasons, but applied to Bill Gates.

I use my Sony PSP for all my music playing needs, it costs about the same but requires parental supervision what with it's web browsing capabilities and video game collection. 

You can pick up cheap mp3 players for about $40 which gives you between 4-8 gigs of memory.  4 gigs is more music than can be played in a single day and it's fairly easy to move new tracks on or off the devices.

As for getting music off your CDs pretty much all media-playing software has a "rip" function of some sort, just let us know which program you use and we'll tell you what to look for where.

You mock the iGod of iTech Steve Jobs...ask iForgiveness from him....or you will feel the iWrath.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 02:09:10 PM »

You mock the iGod of iTech Steve Jobs...ask iForgiveness from him....or you will feel the iWrath.
Your choice of two responses:

I declare your "Steve Jobs" to be the Whore of the digital Babylon, drunk on the digital blood of the open source saints!  Anathematrix!

(or how it really happened):
If your iGod exists may he strike me off the internet this very minute!

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 02:16:17 PM »

I declare your "Steve Jobs" to be the Whore of the digital Babylon, drunk on the digital blood of the open source saints!  Anathematrix!

Cursed (beta version) are you!

(that's it, I'm all out....LOL!!!  you really did make me laugh out loud...anathematrix...that's a good one)

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2011, 02:35:07 PM »

(that's it, I'm all out....LOL!!!  you really did make me laugh out loud...anathematrix...that's a good one)

Cheesy Always fun to be polemical on issues that don't matter.

To the OP:

Gebre, all kidding aside, it really comes down to what you want the player to do.  If all you want is a device to play music you can find a much cheaper alternative to the iPod that is usually easier to manage and maintain (music file wise) and many will play video files as well, if you wish (a quick web search show that Philips has one with 8gig for about $50.  That's an entire DVD and a day or two music).  If you also want it to run applications and play video games than go with the iPod, Zune, or PSP.  Out of the three I find the PSP to be much easier to interact with (you just plug it into your USB drive and move files into the proper folders, or use your favorite media program to transfer the files over), while the other two you need appropriate software at the very least to set the devices up to not need the software.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2011, 04:21:47 PM »

Thanks! Yes, I just need something that will play music and that is very easy to use. Can you tell me the specific name of the Phillips device that you mentioned, and where I might find one (besides online)?

Selam

To the OP:

Gebre, all kidding aside, it really comes down to what you want the player to do.  If all you want is a device to play music you can find a much cheaper alternative to the iPod that is usually easier to manage and maintain (music file wise) and many will play video files as well, if you wish (a quick web search show that Philips has one with 8gig for about $50.  That's an entire DVD and a day or two music).  If you also want it to run applications and play video games than go with the iPod, Zune, or PSP.  Out of the three I find the PSP to be much easier to interact with (you just plug it into your USB drive and move files into the proper folders, or use your favorite media program to transfer the files over), while the other two you need appropriate software at the very least to set the devices up to not need the software.

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2011, 04:47:52 PM »

Thanks! Yes, I just need something that will play music and that is very easy to use. Can you tell me the specific name of the Phillips device that you mentioned, and where I might find one (besides online)?

Selam

Well, FWIW and IMHO Steve Jobs is the spawn of Satan and the less money sent to him and his evil machinations the better, go with a generic mp3 player  Wink  Stay away from Zune for the same reasons, but applied to Bill Gates.

You can pick up cheap mp3 players for about $40 which gives you between 4-8 gigs of memory.  4 gigs is more music than can be played in a single day and it's fairly easy to move new tracks on or off the devices.

I declare your "Steve Jobs" to be the Whore of the digital Babylon, drunk on the digital blood of the open source saints!  Anathematrix!

(that's it, I'm all out....LOL!!!  you really did make me laugh out loud...anathematrix...that's a good one)

To the OP:

Gebre, all kidding aside, it really comes down to what you want the player to do.  If all you want is a device to play music you can find a much cheaper alternative to the iPod that is usually easier to manage and maintain (music file wise) and many will play video files as well, if you wish (a quick web search show that Philips has one with 8gig for about $50.  That's an entire DVD and a day or two music).  If you also want it to run applications and play video games than go with the iPod, Zune, or PSP.  Out of the three I find the PSP to be much easier to interact with (you just plug it into your USB drive and move files into the proper folders, or use your favorite media program to transfer the files over), while the other two you need appropriate software at the very least to set the devices up to not need the software.

Philips - GoGear Vibe 8GB MP3 Player.  Walmart or Best Buy should carry it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 04:49:37 PM by FormerReformer » Logged

annajohnson

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 03:57:06 AM »

Well, very great and best ipod or mp3 you shared here. At first seen, no one can easily decide that it is a ipod or mp3. It is such very amazing and best to share with us, looks fantastic.

Link removed - MK.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 06:10:46 PM »

Well, very great and best ipod or mp3 you shared here. At first seen, no one can easily decide that it is a ipod or mp3. It is such very amazing and best to share with us, looks fantastic.

Well, very annoying and horrible bot or program you shared here.  At first spelling error, anyone can tell that it is a bot or program.  It is such very horrible the grammar here and wish you didn't share with us, looks primitive.

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2011, 06:17:17 PM »

Testify!!!

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2011, 06:22:24 PM »

If you don't want to spend a lot of money Get a Mp -3  Cd Player , Because on a 4.8 gigabyte dvd you can put around 400 song on the disk .I have one as well....I also purchased  Ipod  wireless connectors, that i can play my ipods and cd mp-3 player over several fm radio stations  in car or at home....Also i can take my 10.000 song library with me..... Grin

Well, very annoying and horrible bot or program you shared here.  At first spelling error, anyone can tell that it is a bot or program.  It is such very horrible the grammar here and wish you didn't share with us, looks primitive.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 06:23:36 PM by stashko » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 10:13:57 PM »

Thanks everyone for your advice. I bought my son an "iPod Shuffle 2GB." The guy told me that it should store about 300 songs on it. So now I need someone to give me specific step by step instructions as to how to put music from his cd's onto my computer and then onto the iPod.

Thank you in advance.

Selam

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 10:33:40 PM »

While I don't know too much about the iPod, I can tell you:

1st) Download and install iTunes

2nd) http://ipod.about.com/od/gettingsongsoffyourcds/ss/ripping_cds.htm This will tell you how to "rip" the cd's.

3rd) On the left side of your screen in iTunes you will see a Tab called "Devices".  Your iPod should be listed under it.  Clicking on your iPod in this screen should give you options to put songs on it.

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 10:43:47 PM »

While I don't know too much about the iPod, I can tell you:

1st) Download and install iTunes

2nd) http://ipod.about.com/od/gettingsongsoffyourcds/ss/ripping_cds.htm This will tell you how to "rip" the cd's.

3rd) On the left side of your screen in iTunes you will see a Tab called "Devices".  Your iPod should be listed under it.  Clicking on your iPod in this screen should give you options to put songs on it.

Also be careful when you're "syncing" music.  If you remove songs from iTunes, and you're connecting your ipod to the computer again, they will also be removed from the ipod.  There's a feature in iTunes where instead of syncing, you can just customize it yourself.

Also, the ipod will only work from that computer alone as soon as it is configured into it.  If you use another computer it might need to be deleted and "re-synced."

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2011, 12:15:00 AM »

I am able to rip music from cd's to my computer. Is there a way to rip only certain songs from cd's and make a folder of the songs I want to put on the iPod? If so, how do I do this? Step by step (I'm very slow, so I need it spelled out very specifically).

Thanks. Embarrassed

Selam

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2011, 12:28:29 AM »

Gebre, are you using a PC or a Mac?

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2011, 02:30:15 AM »

Ummm. let's see...

I have a Dell computer. It says here that it's Windows Vista. How do I tell whether it's a PC or Mac? Embarrassed

Selam

That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2011, 03:30:38 AM »

Ummm. let's see...

I have a Dell computer. It says here that it's Windows Vista. How do I tell whether it's a PC or Mac? Embarrassed

Selam
PC refers to a computer using a Windows operating system. If it's not made by Apple, it's almost definitely a PC. (Somehow you don't strike me as the type to be using an open-source OS.)

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2011, 11:23:26 AM »

Ummm. let's see...

Selam

It's a PC.  PC basically refers to something running the Windows Operating System.

Okay, what you're going to want to do is:

1) Before anything else, after you start iTunes go to the top of the iTunes program and click on "Edit".  Then click "preferences" then click "advanced" Look at the tab marked "General" which will show you where the ripped CD files are kept. 

2) Click on the Windows "Start" button (the little circle with the "windows" logo on the bottom left of your screen).  Click on Music.  In the Music folder click once on your furthermost right mouse button in an area where there are no files.  When the box pops up with listed options click your leftmost button on "New" and then on "Folder".  Name the folder something like "Son's iPod".

3)Go back to iTunes to your iTunes Music Location from step (1).  Click on "Change".  It should give you the option to "Browse" your "Music" folder.  Select "Son's iPod".  If you've done this step correctly your iTunes Music Location should now say "C:\(profile name)\My Music\Son's iPod"

4) Put a CD in.  When the track names show up put a check next to only the tracks you want to go into "Son's iPod".  then rip.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2011, 11:26:41 AM »

1) Before anything else, after you start iTunes go to the top of the iTunes program and click on "Edit".  Then click "preferences" then click "advanced" Look at the tab marked "General" which will show you where the ripped CD files are kept. 

2) Click on the Windows "Start" button (the little circle with the "windows" logo on the bottom left of your screen).  Click on Music.  In the Music folder click once on your furthermost right mouse button in an area where there are no files.  When the box pops up with listed options click your leftmost button on "New" and then on "Folder".  Name the folder something like "Son's iPod".

3)Go back to iTunes to your iTunes Music Location from step (1).  Click on "Change".  It should give you the option to "Browse" your "Music" folder.  Select "Son's iPod".  If you've done this step correctly your iTunes Music Location should now say "C:\(profile name)\My Music\Son's iPod"

4) Put a CD in.  When the track names show up put a check next to only the tracks you want to go into "Son's iPod".  then rip.

If you had bought anything else:

- plug the player in to the computer
- choose 'open the folder' in the autorun menu that pops up automatically
- copy  there music files you want
- plug the player out

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2011, 12:27:22 PM »

Click on My Computer ,right click on the cd drive that has the cd music, to browse the cd  ,From there you can drag the music files to the folder thats setup for your son ,from his folder the music he wants ,you can convert the wave files to Mp-3 files ,that are much smaller than the wave files that are on the cd...If you Chose to load the wave files from the cd with out converting them to the mp=3's on the player, it may only allow you to put about 30 wave files on the Ipod ,because the wave files take up alot of room...That why it's best to convert them ....

Or you can re record the music from the wave file cd to mp-3 by using the mp3 my mp3 internet radio recorder that you can download , free version from the net...Also you can Setup the recorder to store the music to your sons folder ,and from there you can drag it to the itunes library ..Or you and check the box on the itunes  once you open it up ,that says let me manage my ipod manually..this way you can drag your music to what ever  name you chose to name you music folder.remember what you do in itunes  you do in your ipod because they are synced together when connected....

The Internet Radio Re-corder comes in very handy when watching u-tube videos,, some of the ethnic video's have great music that i like , so i just record it with the recorder...

What ever sounds come thur your computer the recoder will record be internet radio or cd ect..ect.... Grin
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 12:39:41 PM by stashko » Logged

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2011, 12:32:28 PM »

If you had bought anything else:

- plug the player in to the computer
- choose 'open the folder' in the autorun menu that pops up automatically
- copy  there music files you want
- plug the player out

Yes, Mike, but alas he did not heed our warnings and instead got Steve Jobs' abomination of complication and proprietary applications, I'd like to think perhaps due to aggressive sales tactics of an undereducated salesperson who could not comprehend that our friend wanted the least complicated of options and instead said "Dur-iPods what you're wantin', sir. Yes, indeedy.  These less expensive brands are just there for show."  Thus, I am reduced to trawling the internet to refresh my memory on how that &@#$ed program and piece of hardware work.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: