OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 04:50:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholics and Western Christians: Why The Palms During Prayer?  (Read 529 times) Average Rating: 0
IssacTheSyrian

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Archdiocese

« on: February 04, 2011, 09:04:37 PM »

This topic has bothered me on and off for a while and the question is this:
Why do the Catholics and Western Christians press their palms together when they pray?

Just like this:

When did they start doing this and why do they do it?

Did they learn it from the Hindu's?

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:07:33 PM by IssacTheSyrian » Logged

"To be detached from matter is prior to being bound to God."

St Issac The Syrian
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 09:09:08 PM »

Interesting question... I don't know for sure, but doesn't an open palm represent peace? Perhaps it means coming together in peace, or having peace in prayer?
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 08:33:09 AM »

From what I understand, it actually originates from the medieval commendation ceremony (in which a vassal takes an oath of fealty). In the same way that a vow of obedience is made to a lord, so likewise a similar promise is made to the Lord.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 09:42:57 AM »

From what I understand, it actually originates from the medieval commendation ceremony (in which a vassal takes an oath of fealty). In the same way that a vow of obedience is made to a lord, so likewise a similar promise is made to the Lord.

I have heard this as well.  The vassal would press his palms together and kneel as an act of humility.  If the feudal lord accepted him, the lord would clasp his hands over the hands of the vassal.

source: http://faculty.law.pitt.edu/hibbitts/ctos_ii1.htm#fig2p
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: