OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 12:44:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Praying the Hours  (Read 1152 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: February 04, 2011, 01:45:45 AM »

The Orthodoxwiki article on the cycle of prayers/services mentions how the Hours are sometimes combined rather than said at the technically appropriate time. Is it more proper to use the three aggregates (as the site calls them), or to do the prayers individually? I would assume that they are combined for convenience, but what if you are able to do them individually, and that would actually be more doable for you?
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 01:57:37 AM »

If I pray the hours, which is unfortunately a rare occurrence for me, I have found that it is best to just say the psalms themselves and leave all of the rest alone.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 05:42:38 AM »

Well, see, I used to do them, and I liked them because it was like a short burst of prayer... do it for 10 minutes and then you're done. And then come back a few hours later and do it again. It was just sort of nice to break up the day like that. However, the article said that "in current practice the services are more commonly served together," so I just wanted to throw the subject out there for discussion.
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 06:32:28 AM »

I pray the hours - I found this site http://www.holycrossonline.org/daily_bread/ (choose the option "Daily Bread" - then what ever hour you are looking for.)  with shortened versions of the hours.  This works wonderful for me as I work at home and each one takes between five and six minutes.  I pray the full version of the noon office at noon.  I printed these and put them in a little notebook to use at my prayer corner.

Hope this helps! Smiley

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 08:17:38 AM »

I would assume that they are combined for convenience, but what if you are able to do them individually, and that would actually be more doable for you?

Why not?
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 08:58:59 AM »

I pray the first hour at 6:30, then the morning prayers at 7am - then the third hour at 9:00 am, then the noon office (6th hour) (in full) between noon and 12:30 pm - then the 9th hour at 3pm.  If I can't sleep, as soon as I get out of the bed to go do something else, I pray the mid-night office no matter what time it is.  I have reminders set for me for fifteen minutes in advance - so that if I get busy doing something I can wrap it up and go pray.  I also do not use incense during the hour prayers. 

Makes for a day of constantly being reminded of His Grace.  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:00:07 AM by quietmorning » Logged

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 09:50:54 AM »

I pray the first hour at 6:30, then the morning prayers at 7am - then the third hour at 9:00 am, then the noon office (6th hour) (in full) between noon and 12:30 pm - then the 9th hour at 3pm.  If I can't sleep, as soon as I get out of the bed to go do something else, I pray the mid-night office no matter what time it is.  I have reminders set for me for fifteen minutes in advance - so that if I get busy doing something I can wrap it up and go pray.  I also do not use incense during the hour prayers. 

This is wonderful! I wish I was able to stick to a similar rule.

I'm curious though, why, since the Morning Prayers are but an abbreviation of the Midnight Office, you pray them after the 1st Hour and not before?
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 11:27:21 AM »

I'm curious though, why, since the Morning Prayers are but an abbreviation of the Midnight Office, you pray them after the 1st Hour and not before?

I'm not sure I understand the question. . . heh. . .maybe I have my hours mislabeled?  I'll look at my lunch break and see if I made a goof. 

In the mean time, I'll feed back to you what I think you mean. . .and you can straighten me out from there, if you don't mind. 

I didn't know that the morning prayers were an abbreviated version **newbie here Smiley ** - and the super abbreviated version I pray if  can't sleep is nothing like the morning prayers I use (the Morning Prayers from the Antiochian Liturgy Book) . . .hmmmm.  I'll have to look at the long version and see if the short versions I use for praying the hours are actually in the same context. 

Is this what you meant?

I tend to pray the 1st hour first because the prayers listed in the web site are a statement of faith that He will hear me in the morning. . .a good step into my morning prayers.  A good moment to wake up and smell the coffee too. . .so that I'm fully awake and alert once I get to the Morning Prayers. 

Does this matter?  (Honestly asking. . .because I seriously don't know.)

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 01:57:46 PM »

I'm not sure I understand the question. . . heh. . .maybe I have my hours mislabeled?  I'll look at my lunch break and see if I made a goof. 

In the mean time, I'll feed back to you what I think you mean. . .and you can straighten me out from there, if you don't mind. 

I didn't know that the morning prayers were an abbreviated version **newbie here Smiley ** - and the super abbreviated version I pray if  can't sleep is nothing like the morning prayers I use (the Morning Prayers from the Antiochian Liturgy Book) . . .hmmmm.  I'll have to look at the long version and see if the short versions I use for praying the hours are actually in the same context. 

Is this what you meant?

The Midnight Office from the website are a super-abbreviated version of the Midnight Office, of which the Morning Prayers themselves are an abbreviated version (the Troparia and Prayer to the Trinity are taken from the Midnight, which is reflected in your link by having one of the prayers of the Troparia followed by the prayer to the Trinity slightly reworded from what you would find in the Little Red Prayer Book Morning Prayers).  The full Midnight Office would have the Trisagion followed by Psalm 50 followed by Psalm 118 (119), Creed, another Trisagion, Troparia, Kyrie Eleisons, Prayer of the Hours, Psalms 120 and 133, another Trisagion, Prayers for the Departed, Dismissal (and if a Priest is present a whole Litany after the Dismissal).

Usually takes me about 30 minutes on nights when I can't sleep. 

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Elijah
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Tewahedo

God is love; be faithful un to death.

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 02:09:47 PM »

Makes for a day of constantly being reminded of His Grace.  Smiley
Quietmorning, do you get enough time for the two prayers between that short time interval?

Holy Mary, You are the ladder of life. St. Yared
My sons/daughters, come and I will teach you the fear of God. Christ is light.
He watches everything high; He is the king  even over those in the water. Eyob 41:25
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 07:57:54 PM »

The first prayer because it's very very abbreviated is only five or six minutes long - - but it's a GOOD one for me to pray, so it leaves a good twenty minutes between if I'm so inclined.  Sometimes if I wake up late, I'll pray the first then be silent at my prayer corner for a bit then go on into my morning prayers.  I don't know if I would or should 'need' time between the two, actually - but usually there is  twenty minutes or so. 

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 06:40:25 AM »

The resource that I use is the Slavonic in English Reader services of the hours produced at: http://pages.prodigy.net/frjohnwhiteford/horologion.htm
  There is a degree of shortening because ektenias are replaced by Lord have mercy and they are entirely proper to be read by a layman, reader or subdeacon.

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 09:59:59 AM »

The resource that I use is the Slavonic in English Reader services of the hours produced at: http://pages.prodigy.net/frjohnwhiteford/horologion.htm
  There is a degree of shortening because ektenias are replaced by Lord have mercy and they are entirely proper to be read by a layman, reader or subdeacon.

^ I second this excellent resource.

This website has the hours, with the proper troparia for the saints of the day: http://orthodox.seasidehosting.st/
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: