OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 12:01:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slavonic Anaphora - Carpatho-Russian Chant  (Read 1018 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« on: December 24, 2010, 12:44:32 AM »

The Anaphora in Church Slavonic from Christ the Saviour Cathedral, ACROD, Johnstown, PA this Sunday, December 19, 2010  with responses in Carpatho-Russian/Rusyn plain chant. It is good to hear Metropolitan Nicholas' voice sounding strong as he has been ill much of this past year. The responses were led by St. Nicholas Choir, Homestead, PA.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqDUtBFnsYQ
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 12:44:48 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 06:18:30 PM »

Very nice. Thank you.  Smiley

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 12:57:26 PM »

Thanks.
I have never heard the Rusyn Chant before.  It sounds similar to the Galician Chant.
Just one question: is it nor,al for the choir to drag it out so much?
I have never heard chanting this slow before.  The Metropolitan I noticed sings at a tiny quicker rate.
Not trying to be offensive, just want to know what the custom is.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 01:02:25 PM »

Thanks.
I have never heard the Rusyn Chant before.  It sounds similar to the Galician Chant.
I have never heard chanting this slow before.  The Metropolitan I noticed sings at a tiny quicker rate.
I've heard that is a Great Russian influence.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Jake

Faith: Eastern orthodox

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 03:00:03 PM »

Thanks.
I've heard that is a Great Russian influence.
Good joke.  Thanks for the laugh.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 06:34:11 PM »

Yes, it is similar to the Gallician Chant. Yes, that particular choir and its director are slow paced. I was taught to lead the chant at a quick pace. I think that those whose families came from the Presov regions of modern Slovakia, much closer to Gallicia, tended to sing faster than those of the Uzhorod 'school' in Transcarpathia, modern Ukraine.
Jake

Faith: Eastern orthodox

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 11:44:17 AM »

Yes, it is similar to the Gallician Chant. Yes, that particular choir and its director are slow paced. I was taught to lead the chant at a quick pace. I think that those whose families came from the Presov regions of modern Slovakia, much closer to Gallicia, tended to sing faster than those of the Uzhorod 'school' in Transcarpathia, modern Ukraine.
Thanks.  I have heard Galician Chant a few times only visiting Ukrainian Catholic Churches and the pace is very slow here in Canada.  But when you visit a church in Galicia such as in Lviv, the pace is a bit quicker but  still not what I am used to in the Orthodox Church with Kyivan Chant.  Also the CD's of their church choirs sing at a quicker pace.
Maybe the Ukrainian Catholics in Canada preserved an older tradition especially on the prairies when they came in 1891.
Nice to know that in the USA, the Carpathian traditions are preserved and used on a regular basis.
Just a guess, I really don't know enough on the topic.
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 11:30:34 AM »

Your Metropolitan does have a good voice.  Isn't he celebrating a special birthday soon?
I hear/ read only good things about him.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 01:36:22 PM »

Your Metropolitan does have a good voice.  Isn't he celebrating a special birthday soon?

It was observed on Tuesday of this week. http://www.acrod.org/metropolitan  Please keep him in your prayers as his health is now quite fragile.
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 01:39:32 PM »

You must have been reading biased sources.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 10:14:24 AM »

It was observed on Tuesday of this week. http://www.acrod.org/metropolitan  Please keep him in your prayers as his health is now quite fragile.
Sorry to hear about his health.  I will be praying for him personally.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 06:35:08 PM »

-bump- Given the recent passing of Metropolitan Nicholas I thought that I would bump this thread and add a link. For those of you who a fans of the Rusyn and Galician chants and hymns...

http://www.acrod.org/metropolitan/metromultimedia/let-us-sing-out
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: