OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 05:38:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sayings of the Desert Fathers question  (Read 631 times) Average Rating: 0
Leao

« on: October 24, 2010, 02:40:10 PM »

Shalom,

I remember reading about a monk in the Sayings of the Desert Fathers who struggled with an unspecified temptatious thought for many years and prayed earnestly each day for it to be taken away from him. Eventually God took the temptation away from the monk. But the monk then became very bored and prayed for God to give him his temptation back. Henceforth the monk prayed not that the temptation might be taken away from him but that he would have enough strength not to succumb to it.

I found the following apothegmata involving Abba Poemen and Abba John the Dwarf that is very similar to the above story but I'm sure that there is another one. Does anyone know what it is?

Abba Poemen said of Abba John the Dwarf that he had prayed God to take his passions away from him so that he might become free from care. He went and told an old man this; 'I find myself in peace, without an enemy,' he said. The old man said to him, 'Go beseech God to stir up warfare so that you may regain the affliction and humility that you used to have, for it is by warfare that the soul makes progress.' So he besought God and when warfare came, he no longer prayed that it might be taken away, but said, 'Lord, give me strength for the fight.'

Peace of Xrist,

LEAO

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 01:57:20 AM »

*Bump*

I've tried to find this, but had no luck. Anyone else...?
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 06:55:53 AM »

Not the answer you are looking for I am sure, but in its spirit:

From the sayings of St. Anthony the Great:

4. Abba Anthony said to Abba Poimen that this is the great work of man: always to reproach himself for his own faults before God, and expect temptation until the last breath.
5. The same said, No one can enter the Kingdom of Heaven untempted. He said, Remove the temptations, and no one would be saved.

http://www.groca.org/?p=617

I was too lazy to type out the Ward version I have lying around.

This is probably the source of something I hear frequently: no salvation without temptation (or trial, depending on the gloss).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 06:56:08 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: