OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 12:14:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: head covering outside of church  (Read 931 times) Average Rating: 0
nrse

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Act justly. Love tenderly. Walk humbly with God.

« on: February 02, 2011, 10:29:22 PM »

i have met but also come across online, particularly You tube, women who are Christian, some specifically Orthodox, who cover their heads daily...that is, not just inside of church but outside as well....anytime they leave the house they cover...their reasons are varied but most quote Paul....there is a general feeling of modesty, obedience, even for some, submission...they voice that they are led by God to do so....i find this intriguing....(i must say here that i am RC raised, was in Pentecostal church for 30+ years and now, after over a year in Orthodoxy am looking forward to Chrismation come Pascha)...i have been covering at service for some time now- even though i was alone when i first started (my priest was very supportive)....now i am not alone in that Wink

i am comforted by the covering-it reminds me that i am God's, that He is my covering, my protection....it reminds me to pray...i just dont know if i have the courage to do that....i am interested in some thoughts....
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 10:42:05 PM »

i have met but also come across online, particularly You tube, women who are Christian, some specifically Orthodox, who cover their heads daily...that is, not just inside of church but outside as well....anytime they leave the house they cover...their reasons are varied but most quote Paul....there is a general feeling of modesty, obedience, even for some, submission...they voice that they are led by God to do so....i find this intriguing....(i must say here that i am RC raised, was in Pentecostal church for 30+ years and now, after over a year in Orthodoxy am looking forward to Chrismation come Pascha)...i have been covering at service for some time now- even though i was alone when i first started (my priest was very supportive)....now i am not alone in that Wink

i am comforted by the covering-it reminds me that i am God's, that He is my covering, my protection....it reminds me to pray...i just dont know if i have the courage to do that....i am interested in some thoughts....

I think it is a beautiful display of modesty. I also find your motivation very moving:

"I am comforted by the covering-it reminds me that i am God's, that He is my covering, my protection....it reminds me to pray..."

If this is how you feel, then it can never be wrong to cover your head in public, be it in or outside of Church. Don't worry about what others think. If covering your head helps remind you of God's protection and mercy, then by all means do it. And also know that by covering your head you are setting a positive example of Christian modesty for other women, and you are also communicating to men that you are a woman focused on purity rather than vanity.

In today's world where I can rarely distinguish a Christian woman from a  pagan woman, I always find it encouraging to see a woman who has her head covered. (But please don't be one of these women that covers their head but dresses provocatively otherwise. That defeats the whole point!)

I applaud your righteous intentions, and I pray that no one dissuades you from following your Christian conscience.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Tags: head coverings 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: