OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 01:28:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what's a "manti"?  (Read 1220 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« on: February 02, 2011, 10:10:17 PM »

I was looking for an icon of St. Paraskevi, as she's commemorated on my birthday.  when I went to this website, I found something called a "manti".  here's a picture:

what is a "manti" for?  it looks like it belongs in a gypsie's caravan, not an icon corner.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 10:37:17 PM »

I was looking for an icon of St. Paraskevi, as she's commemorated on my birthday.  when I went to this website, I found something called a "manti".  here's a picture:

what is a "manti" for?  it looks like it belongs in a gypsie's caravan, not an icon corner.

That is a "tama" of "matia".
A "tama" (plural: "tamata") is an ex-voto offering made to a Saint because of a vow and "matia" means "eyes".
There is a long tradition in Greek Orthodoxy that when we ask a Saint for healing, we promise to hang "tama" made of silver or gold and depicting an image of what the Saint healed on their Icon in the Church as a witness to the miracle. St. Parakevi is the Patron Saint of the those suffering eye ailments (because of her merciful act towards her tormentor, Antonius Pius, during her martyrdom).
Here is an Icon in a Church with a multitude of "tramata" bearing witness to the prayers answered by the Saint depicted:

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 10:38:55 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 10:39:40 PM »

I was looking for an icon of St. Paraskevi, as she's commemorated on my birthday.  when I went to this website, I found something called a "manti".  here's a picture:

what is a "manti" for?  it looks like it belongs in a gypsie's caravan, not an icon corner.

A "tama" (plural: "tamata") is an ex-voto offering made to a Saint because of a vow and "matia" means "eyes".
There is a long tradition in Greek Orthodoxy that when we ask a Saint for healing, we promise to hang "tama" made of silver or gold depicting an image of what the Saint healed on their Icon in the Church as a witness to the miracle. St. Parakevi is the Patron Saint of the those suffering eye ailments (because of her merciful act towards her tormentor, Antonius Pius, during her martyrdom).
Here is an Icon with a multitude of "tramata" bearing witness to the prayers answered by the Saint depicted:

thanks so much!  it seems I can alwayse count on you, OZGeorge, for a very informative answers!  as my sister and I are both suffering from vision problems (which are supposed to get worse as we get older) I'll definatly buy an icon of her, and lay this against it.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 10:42:45 PM »

There is a long tradition in Greek Orthodoxy that when we ask a Saint for healing, we promise to hang "tama" made of silver or gold depicting an image of what the Saint healed on their Icon in the Church as a witness to the miracle. St. Parakevi is the Patron Saint of the those suffering eye ailments (because of her merciful act towards her tormentor, Antonius Pius, during her martyrdom).
Here is an Icon with a multitude of "tramata" bearing witness to the prayers answered by the Saint depicted:

thanks so much!  it seems I can alwayse count on you, OZGeorge, for a very informative answers!  as my sister and I are both suffering from vision problems (which are supposed to get worse as we get older) I'll definatly buy an icon of her, and lay this against it.
A "tama" is a thanksgiving offering which we make when our prayers are answered, and we only hang them on Icons in Churches.

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 10:44:22 PM »

A "tama" is a thanksgiving offering which we make when our prayers are answered, and we only hang them on Icons in Churches.
ah, I see.  in that case, when (and if) my vision improves, I'll find an icon of her somewhere in my church and affix it,.   Smiley

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 10:47:04 PM »

ah, I see.  in that case, when (and if) my vision improves, I'll find an icon of her somewhere in my church and affix it,.   Smiley
Now that you have said so, be sure that you fulfil your vow!

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 10:47:52 PM »

Now that you have said so, be sure that you fulfil your vow!
I sure will!  thanks! Grin

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 07:43:35 AM »

Interesting, I thought that this is a latinisation after the Union.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 07:43:45 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 09:52:14 AM »

Which union?

Once the number of them are collected, they are melted down to make a covering (riza in Russian/Slavic, phylaktis (?) in Greek.  We just say ghiTaa' (coveing) or fiDDa (silver) in Arabic). 

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 10:15:35 AM »

Union of Brest. I thought it is a Catholic thing.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 10:34:13 AM »

Union of Brest. I thought it is a Catholic thing.

Votive practices like this are common in many cultures: ancient, medieval, and modern. It predates Roman Catholicism by thousands of years, having been very popular in various religions throughout all periods of human history in the Mediterranean (including Judaism).

Lighting candles falls into the same category of religious practices.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 11:19:16 AM »

Thanks also regarding St. Paraskevia (or Paraska to some Slavs). I have suffered from an ongoing eye disease and have had a number of surgeries over the years. My late mother-in-law was named Paraska as St. Paraskevia was the patron of the Church in her mother's village in Europe so your information is all the more meaningful to me.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 11:23:36 AM »

Sadly, many of us tend to regard customs of Orthodox peoples not of our own ethnic background as 'foreign' or as 'latinisations' if we don't understand them. My first instinct was to think the same on this question, but for George's answer. Many long standing and meaningful pious customs have been suppressed or lost in the well-intentioned efforts to 'delatinize' those who were ancestrally impacted by the unions.
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 02:58:58 PM »

I was looking for an icon of St. Paraskevi, as she's commemorated on my birthday. 

Which St. Paraskevia do you mean?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 04:41:14 PM »

Sadly, many of us tend to regard customs of Orthodox peoples not of our own ethnic background as 'foreign' or as 'latinisations' if we don't understand them. My first instinct was to think the same on this question, but for George's answer. Many long standing and meaningful pious customs have been suppressed or lost in the well-intentioned efforts to 'delatinize' those who were ancestrally impacted by the unions.

It's not foreign to me. I've seen many such things. I only thought it was the RC influence.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 05:38:18 PM »

Do the faithful make these themselves, or are there special artists you can commission for it?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 06:00:36 PM »

I agree.  Although well-intentioned, the pendulum has swung too far the other way, where we have done away with legitimate Orthodox practices along with the innovations.  As I recall even a few centuries ago St. Nikodemos of the Holy Mountain lamented the falling away from genuflection during the midweek even though it is a genuine Orthodox practice. 
Spartan563

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 01:00:53 AM »

I was looking for an icon of St. Paraskevi, as she's commemorated on my birthday.  when I went to this website, I found something called a "manti".  here's a picture:

what is a "manti" for?  it looks like it belongs in a gypsie's caravan, not an icon corner.

http://www.stparaskevi.org/  click on church store on left
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 10:47:40 AM »

I love the tamata that I've seen in Greek churches, and I wonder if such a tradition exists anywhere else in Orthodoxy.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 11:10:01 AM »

Do the faithful make these themselves, or are there special artists you can commission for it?

They can be bought ready-made, but it is considered better form to have them done by a jeweller. Any goldsmith or silversmith can do it.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
rakovsky
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 11:47:20 AM »

Manti is a central asian dumpling with ground meat and spices inside.

Besides that, I was reading last night about Vanga, whose temple was to St. Paraskeva.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 02:43:45 PM »

From that site, I like this one:

Prosforo Wood Seal
   Price: $10

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 10:51:25 PM »

From that site, I like this one:

Prosforo Wood Seal
   Price: $10

Prosphoro wood seal??
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 11:27:00 PM »

Lol!  Exactly!!!   Cheesy

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2013, 10:57:39 PM »

I've seen some icons in Russia and Greece with watches and wedding rings--perhaps in gratitude for being delivered from being late or entering into a bad marriage. (I jest.)

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2013, 01:02:26 AM »

I've seen some icons in Russia and Greece with watches and wedding rings--perhaps in gratitude for being delivered from being late or entering into a bad marriage. (I jest.)
Many such votives are common. Watches, pocket watches, rings, pectoral crosses, chains, all manner of jewelry, etc. Sometimes there is a long chain hung underneath the icon so as to make the hanging of votives easier. As for tamata, eyes are the ones I've seen the most, but I've also seen some that depict couples, some that depict certain limbs, it's a very nice thing to see.

Ελέησον με, ο Θεός, κατά το μέγα έλεος σου και κατά το πλήθος των οικτιρμών σου εξάλειψον το ανόμημα μου.

Αναστάς ο Ιησούς από του τάφου, καθώς προείπεν, έδωκεν ημίν την αιώνιον ζωήν και το μέγα έλεος.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2013, 02:01:06 AM »

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2013, 02:01:29 AM »

manti teo

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: