OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 07:46:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How is Vladimir Sergeyevich Solovyov viewed by the Orthodox Church?  (Read 706 times) Average Rating: 0
rimlyanin

Faith: Apostolic
Jurisdiction: ?

Блаженный Леонид Фёдоров

« on: February 02, 2011, 02:31:30 PM »

Just wodnering if anyone knows how Vladimir Solovyov is viewed by the Orthodox Church, officially, or otherwise?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 02:43:10 PM »

Just wodnering if anyone knows how Vladimir Solovyov is viewed by the Orthodox Church, officially, or otherwise?
Most Orthodox I know consider him a gadflay. His Sophilogy was condemned as a heresy.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 02:47:19 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
rimlyanin

Блаженный Леонид Фёдоров

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 03:17:19 PM »

His Sophilogy was condemned as a heresy.

Would you happen to know where I could find the Orthodox Church's language condemning his sophiology as a heresy?

rimlyanin

Блаженный Леонид Фёдоров

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 03:20:42 PM »

Most Orthodox I know consider him a gadflay.

I wonder if those people have read any of his works?  (I am just introducing myself to him and his writings, so it may be a while before I have an informed opinion on him.)
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 05:47:51 PM »

He's not Orthodox, but an apostate to Roman Catholicism.

As for Sophiology, it was condemned by the Moscow Patriarchate and the Russian Church Abroad in the 1930s, IIRC. The turbulent times prevented church trials from happening and specific proponents from being disciplined.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
rimlyanin

Блаженный Леонид Фёдоров

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 11:29:48 AM »

As for Sophiology, it was condemned by the Moscow Patriarchate and the Russian Church Abroad in the 1930s, IIRC. The turbulent times prevented church trials from happening and specific proponents from being disciplined.

Is there a philosophy(er) that is endorsed by or often used as a basis for Orthodox theology?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 11:32:05 AM »

Is there a philosophy(er) that is endorsed by or often used as a basis for Orthodox theology?

No. Orthodoxy comes from divine revelation, and is articulated and theologized by the Holy Fathers.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 11:51:49 AM »

No. Orthodoxy comes from divine revelation, and is articulated and theologized by the Holy Fathers.

they do use philosophy, however: St. Clement of Alexandria used Stoicism, Origin Platonism, St. John of Damascus Aristoteleanism.  But only as a tool to explain revelation.  Not as a source. As soon as it is used as a basis of dogma alongside revelation, disaster sets in.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
rimlyanin

Блаженный Леонид Фёдоров

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 12:54:55 PM »

they do use philosophy, however: St. Clement of Alexandria used Stoicism, Origin Platonism, St. John of Damascus Aristoteleanism.  But only as a tool to explain revelation.  Not as a source. As soon as it is used as a basis of dogma alongside revelation, disaster sets in.

I guess that is what I was getting at...I will have to do some reading.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 12:55:54 PM by rimlyanin » Logged
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 05:20:23 PM »

It is better to take Orthodox theology as a basis for philosophy, rather than the inverse. Richard Swinburne has done this.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: